SRAM Red chainring compatibility with Shimano 9150 Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bpe

by bpe

I am upgrading my road bike to the new Shimano 9150 Di2 system, and at the same time I am adding a Quarq DZero power meter (while trying to minimize the weight gain). My LBS told me that Shimano is not selling chainrings only (you have to get the whole crank set). My only option would be third party chainrings. I could get SRAM Red ETap chainrings with the power meter or another third party option.

My questions are:

Are the SRAM Red ETap chainrings compatible with the Shimano 9150 Di2 drivetrain (shifters/derailleurs/cassette)?
If so, what chain would I use?
If not, what chainrings would you recommend?

Thanks for your help,

Brian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the Quarq Red 22 cranks with Red chainrings, 50/34. Running DA 9070, Sram 1190 cassette, and DA 11-speed chains. Everything is running perfectly. I have never used the 4-arm DA chainrings. However I feel the Red chainrings are plenty stiff and I don't see any downsides to them. Price and weight wise I think they are way less than DA chainrings. Btw I also have Campy Bora wheels. So I care very little about matching brands.

A while back when 9150 first came out, there were reports of poor shifting while using a Sram 1190 cassette. When the poster put an Ultegra cassette on everything is fine. This makes little sense and I never saw an explanation for the problem.

I'm using the Sram 1190 11-28 cassette. I much prefer the Sram ratios as it includes a 16th cog. The Shimano DA doesn't and that's a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savechief

by savechief

How about Praxis chainrings?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

savechief wrote:How about Praxis chainrings?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Generally speaking, the lighter the rings the less stiff they will be, which will detrimentally affect shifting performance. Forging will make a chainring stronger but not stiffer. The key is to find the right balance between weight and stiffness. When shopping for a chainring I'd look at the weight to judge how stiff it'll be. Shimano has the patent on hollow rings so from a stiffness standpoint nothing will beat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk