Cannondale 2018 road bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

jeffy wrote:
topflightpro wrote:
kgt wrote:I like Cannondale frames a lot but I agree that it seems like the company has cost cutting as its main priority. Full internal cabling should be standard at 2018 models.

As nice as full internal cable routing looks, it is an absolute PIA to deal with when replacing cables. I think Cannondale's solution is rather genius.

I recall reading that the external routing was from feedback from Cannondale Team mechanics, guess it saves them time that they can put into BB30 servicing.

Pinarello went back to threaded from press fit at the request of Sky Mechanics....

Finally, after ~17 years we are going back to English 24mm threaded BB. Kudos to Shimano for not jumping the gun. To this day, they have no desire to produce anything but threaded BB. In the last 2 years, more manufactures starting to adopt to gold standard!
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Who's going back? I wish everyone would, but I'm afraid that's wishful thinking at this point. Pinarello has always been threaded as far as I know, albeit Italian threaded which is just dumb in this day and age, although not as dumb as it was at it's inception. I can install virtually any pressfit BB so that it is trouble free it seems these days, but the threaded systems are just so simple and bombproof and anyone can do them right with a minimal amount of tools and a little grease and no need for primers and retaining compounds. And Shimano produces pressfit adaptor cups for the cranks as well, not just threaded BB's.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

havana

by havana

Specialized is going back, at least for some models.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I know for some of their alloy models, correct? But on balance, I'm not aware of any kind of "trend" back to threaded. And I don't think Pinarello ever went away from threaded, let alone going back to it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

maquisard

by maquisard

The best solution currently on the market is probably T47, which is threaded whilst also being oversized. Truth is crank axle stiiffness is rarely an issue, but BB shell stiffness is. The area around the BB in a frame is increased in system by increasing the lateral width of the shell, hence BBright, BB30A, BB386EVO etc. So the best solution is threaded whilst also being oversized enough to allow the bearings to be inboard and hence allow the shell width to be increased.

So T47 is good, however the likes of Shimano would need to come onboard to make it take off and they are notoriously conservative.

havana

by havana

Viviani wins sprints with an Italian BB, Froome wins the Tour 4 times with an Italian BB. Let's be honest, oversized pressfit style brackets are - like most innovations in the cycling industry - a solution for a non-existing problem.
Last edited by havana on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

maquisard

by maquisard

Yeah, but the Italian BB is a very poor design in terms of engineering. Even Colnago abandoned it in favour of BSA.

havana

by havana

Sure, BSA is much better than Italian but... Italian is still a lot better than presshit !

jobvisser

by jobvisser

Pressfit could be an awesome system, when everything is produced right it will work... but it isnt
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Calnago wrote:Yes, I know for some of their alloy models, correct? But on balance, I'm not aware of any kind of "trend" back to threaded. And I don't think Pinarello ever went away from threaded, let alone going back to it.

Tarmac went back to threaded BB last season. Every model but Pro and S-Works. These 2 are still on OSBB for one reason - keep weight weenies happy!
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Cannondale - the honda civic of bikes

..not that there's anything wrong with it <3 :thumbup:

btw, who actually would paid retail for the Cannondale bike/frame nowaday. You can find a shit ton of them of Ebay for literally at half price.

jeffy

by jeffy

asiantrick wrote:Cannondale - the honda civic of bikes

i was thinking today that Giant = Ford, and Trek = Volkswagon.

rmr40

by rmr40

TheDarkInstall wrote:Yeah that black and chrome one is pretty nice. I actually nearly bought this exact frame in March. Found a place in NZ that are doing it for a decent price.

Is this black one specific to any particular region? It is definitely not available in Japan, I know that much.

I've just bought the black / chrome SS Evo HM frameset from westbrook cycles in the UK - it was already reduced from £2299 to £1999 - with the TDF 10% discount and going through a cash back site the final price was £1700! £600 saving thank you very much.

These 2018 colours are shocking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beaver

by Beaver

rmr40 wrote:
TheDarkInstall wrote:Yeah that black and chrome one is pretty nice. I actually nearly bought this exact frame in March. Found a place in NZ that are doing it for a decent price.

Is this black one specific to any particular region? It is definitely not available in Japan, I know that much.

I've just bought the black / chrome SS Evo HM frameset from westbrook cycles in the UK - it was already reduced from £2299 to £1999 - with the TDF 10% discount and going through a cash back site the final price was £1700! £600 saving thank you very much.

What does it weigh? :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmr40

by rmr40

Beaver wrote:
rmr40 wrote:

What does it weigh? :D

I don't know - it hasn't arrived yet! It's due to tomorrow so I'll post the weight up on here..