Dogma F8 vs. Giant TCR ADV

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Interesting one this.

I am going through an easy warranty issue with my LBS and all is well, but they have a lightly used Dogma F8 in which I can get to financially, but no idea how it rides. I do like the TCR and how it climbs. Very good bike going up, good on the flat and descends very well to OD2. Likely a Ford to a Ferrari analogy ?

But, anyone compared an F8 to one ? The F8 feels like a dead weight next to it, which is a shock when lifting the bike, though I realise that it is all about the engine going up, to my mind a bike weighing 14lbs out of the box to a 17lb built bike will punch better.

Any thoughts on an F8 in real world terms ? Not talking about Froome/the tour / pro cycling etc.

Thanks.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I'm very happy with my 13lbs F8, but have never ridden a TCR. You need to make up your own mind and be happy with what you throw your leg over. Surely your LBS will let you test ride .......? You will get as many negatives as positives and that may only muddy the waters

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

just for fun you should be doing it. can't be that bad. @lionelB loves his.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

How did you get an F8 to 13lb ? Thats a good weight.

funny thing. Over the years, the bikes I have seen bought and sold quickly were -

Specialized Venge gen 1.

Giant Propel.

And now, the F8 ?

I can understand the Venge. Did not ride well. The propel perhaps a tad stiff, but why are people moving F8's on ? Is it just portly or overly stiff ?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

diegogarcia wrote:How did you get an F8 to 13lb ? Thats a good weight.

Oh, and that's with Pioneer PM. :D

love mine but am still looking for the "Holy Grail" or something better, but not a F10.

Ride and decide.......
BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

hannawald

by hannawald

May be somebody sold and bought F10?:)

I would go for F8, if it is only slightly used, its resale value must be much higher than TCR and you will try something new..it is one of the nicest bikes and the quality of carbon is the best...the whole market is trending towards more aero, you won´t make a mistake.

zzmkdw

by zzmkdw

I've never ridden a Giant, so i can't help you there. I do own an F8, which i bought this year once the F10 came out and they were on discount. I also own an S-Works Roubaix and a BMC SLR01 and in my opinion the F8 rides better than the SLR01. It climbs just as well and is noticeably stiffer. I never thought i would find a bike to replace the SLR01 unless it would be a new SLR01, but the Dogma is better (in my opinion). The fact that the Dogma is aero is a bonus. It gets up to and maintains speed very easily.

As others have said you should really ride and decide.

If you are worried about weight I have a size 54 that weighs 15.5 lbs. Mine is white, so heavy paint and i built it with Etap, Zipp 404, FSA K wing compact and Pinarello aero stem. I didn't really consider light weight parts when building the bike. Sub 15 is easily achievable with some light weight choices. 13 lbs is really impressive. I would assume that is on a smaller size frame.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

zzmkdw wrote:I've never ridden a Giant, so i can't help you there. I do own an F8, which i bought this year once the F10 came out and they were on discount. I also own an S-Works Roubaix and a BMC SLR01 and in my opinion the F8 rides better than the SLR01. It climbs just as well and is noticeably stiffer. I never thought i would find a bike to replace the SLR01 unless it would be a new SLR01, but the Dogma is better (in my opinion). The fact that the Dogma is aero is a bonus. It gets up to and maintains speed very easily.

As others have said you should really ride and decide.

If you are worried about weight I have a size 54 that weighs 15.5 lbs. Mine is white, so heavy paint and i built it with Etap, Zipp 404, FSA K wing compact and Pinarello aero stem. I didn't really consider light weight parts when building the bike. Sub 15 is easily achievable with some light weight choices. 13 lbs is really impressive. I would assume that is on a smaller size frame.

What is the max tyre clearance with 404 on the F8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zzmkdw

by zzmkdw

I'm running Conti GP 4000s 25mm. I havent tried going larger than that, but i have plenty of clearance.

Edit: i should add that I'm running the 404 NSWs.

LionelB

by LionelB

mrgray wrote:just for fun you should be doing it. can't be that bad. @lionelB loves his.

:D Yes I do love mine indeed. Best road bike I ever had. Itching for an F10 even though I know the difference will be marginal :shock:

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

So I test rode the Dogma with my power meter (P2ma/Rotor) and 303's. Holy smoke. I have never ridden a bike with an attack ethos like it. It has two modes on or off. Crazy bike. Little bit chubby climbing compared to the whip of a super light TCR. It is however, a weapon as they say. 'If' I buy it I would throw a few £$ at it to lighten the load though my power meter is a good deal heavier than a 9100 chainset. I do not race as they say and can see some long solid rides on this being a joy and multiple strava golds going into the basket. The choice as they say, is mine. I suspect I will end up with both :beerchug:

kkibbler

by kkibbler

What is an "attack ethos" and how does a bike possess one?

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

kkibbler wrote:What is an "attack ethos" and how does a bike possess one?

It simply wants to go, attack, full gas, on the flat and on downhill, well, it is like an unleashed dog. Rapid. I now understand how froome went from Schleck style descender to demon descender. It descends like a motorcycle. Insane handling. A very interesting bike never the less. Uber stiff.

audiojan

by audiojan

Without a doubt, the F8. It does everything really well. You can noodle around in comfort if you want to, hammer on the flats, descend like it's on rails (never had a bike that descends better!) and climbs really well. The TCR is a nice bike, but after riding the F8, good, but not good enough.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

anyone fit a 28mm like Conti GP4Season 28s to a F8?