Chinese Di2 Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

Hi,

I've finally caved and decided to build a Chinese carbon bike.
Since I had bought a secondhand 6870 group (no crank), I chose to go the electronic route.
Since I am the worlds most cowardly decender, I chose to try disc brakes.

So far I've bought:

- Di2 derailleurs, junctions, cables, batteries, chain and cassette (285 euro, secondhand)
- R785 shifters with rs785 brakes (188 euro, secondhand)

And once my Paypal limit clears I will be ordering:
From Workswell:
- the 093 frameset in size 54 for disc brakes: $590. (1400g, for frame, fork, headset and clamp)
- saddle: $30 (97g)
- the WHB-10 handlebar in size 42: $50 (215g)
- carbon seatpost 007: $30. (165g)
with $150 shipping (in total around 750 euro)

From CarbonBikeKits:
- 45mm wide wheelset with Novatec D411/412-CL center lock hub: $595 including shipping (525 euro)

This means I've already spent 1748 euro. I still need:
- a compact crankset (I'll try to find a secondhand Red)
- a BB86 bottom bracket (Simple pressfit or swallow the weight/price penalty and go for Wheels Manufacturing?)
- a stem (Kally Uno Lightweight? Can I get these to Belgium without massive shipping costs?)
- a bleed kit (http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/bleed-kits/shimano/complete-kit/ will this do?)
- handlebar tape (Fizik Superlight?)
- disc rotors (RT99, Ultegra, Dura ace?)
- pedals (Keo 2 Max?)
- rim tape or velo plugs
- light thru axles

I still have Corsa G+ tires, so no need to buy those. I've considered tubeless, but the wheels would weigh a lot more.

Total budget is 2400 euro.
Main goals:
- As I don't race, and am a feitherweight myself (58kg) shaving grams is important. I know that aero trumps weight. I know that heavier components are better value and more durable. Light weight is important.

- Looks matter. So 45mm wheels over 20mm ones (yes I know I'm suggesting Sram crank with Shimano group, but the weight penalty is too big and DA cranks cost more)

If anyone has advice or tips to improve on what I've thought out so far, I'd be utterly grateful!

(Actual and probablly disappointing weights, as well as pictures will come as soon as my Chinese imports arrive)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

haynesdavid1988

by haynesdavid1988

I've been looking at the bb86 bottom brackets. I think the function outweighs the weight on that one. I can't be doing with another creaking bottom bracket. Can't see how that can be fast. I'm looking at the enduro xd-15 it's expensive. But it's the only angular contact ceramic about. I was looking at a steel angular contact they do. That looks good. Think it's about 108grams. I'll be interested to see what you go with.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

haynesdavid1988

by haynesdavid1988

I also have some farsports 50mm with tubeless Vittoria corsa speed tubeless I worked out it's 100g (rim and tyre combo) more than the equivalent tubular. But I'm sick of tubular too many bad days. Days ruined. They are built onto white industries t11 hubs. Need to weight them yet not got hanging scales.

haynesdavid1988

by haynesdavid1988

I've got a spare compact crankset in a 172.5 but it's bb30 quarq exo. But I would go with gxp or a 24mm axel with bb86.

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

haynesdavid1988 wrote:I also have some farsports 50mm with tubeless Vittoria corsa speed tubeless I worked out it's 100g (rim and tyre combo) more than the equivalent tubular. But I'm sick of tubular too many bad days. Days ruined. They are built onto white industries t11 hubs. Need to weight them yet not got hanging scales.

Yea, no tubulars for me. I've had 1 puncture the past five years (apart from a holiday to Africa, where I had six) but clinchers are what I know and trust. I'd do tubeless, but that was either heavier or more expensive.

haynesdavid1988 wrote:I've been looking at the bb86 bottom brackets. I think the function outweighs the weight on that one. I can't be doing with another creaking bottom bracket. Can't see how that can be fast. I'm looking at the enduro xd-15 it's expensive. But it's the only angular contact ceramic about. I was looking at a steel angular contact they do. That looks good. Think it's about 108grams. I'll be interested to see what you go with.

Ceramic is going to be out of my budget. The Wheels Mfg one is 100 euro and 99g. So far my choice. Still looking for a good option as far as delivery in Europe goes.

haynesdavid1988 wrote:I've got a spare compact crankset in a 172.5 but it's bb30 quarq exo. But I would go with gxp or a 24mm axel with bb86.

Yep, GXP is what I have in mind.

Now if only Paypal wouldn't be such a hassle...

grumpus

by grumpus

I've got an 066 frame with 105/ultegra and red cranks. Works great, really happy with everything. I picked up keo blades secondhand for cheap, and if you keep an eye out, you can find them with Ti axles for not much more. For the stem, I found a cannondale C1 new takeoff and stripped the logos. Very affordable and 110g or so in 100mm length.

My only advice is to order the frame as soon as you can. They can take a while to ship, and say they are shipping right away a few times before they actually do. Mine also arrived without a fork or seatpost. They did end up taking care of everything, and I'm very happy with the bike now, but just make sure to add a few weeks to your expectations. (Hopefully they have improved since I ordered).

Post pictures when you get it. That new 093 looks really nice.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Ticlimax wrote:.Since I am the worlds most cowardly decender, I chose to try disc brakes.

Not cowardly at all. Smart choice! I wish I had discs every time I descend on my carbon clinchers. Scares living hell out of me sometimes.

Only problem is I only descend a few times every ride and I enjoy the lack of discs 99% of the way, haha. What a dilemma...

/a

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

grumpus wrote:I've got an 066 frame with 105/ultegra and red cranks. Works great, really happy with everything. I picked up keo blades secondhand for cheap, and if you keep an eye out, you can find them with Ti axles for not much more. For the stem, I found a cannondale C1 new takeoff and stripped the logos. Very affordable and 110g or so in 100mm length.

My only advice is to order the frame as soon as you can. They can take a while to ship, and say they are shipping right away a few times before they actually do. Mine also arrived without a fork or seatpost. They did end up taking care of everything, and I'm very happy with the bike now, but just make sure to add a few weeks to your expectations. (Hopefully they have improved since I ordered).

Post pictures when you get it. That new 093 looks really nice.

Yeah, the difference between a smaller company like CarbonBikeKits and Workswell is quite noticable. Workswell answers on their business hours, gives 24 workdays estimate for delivery (which is all good, but I could see how forgetting some parts could happen, because they have so many customers).

Gen from CarbonBikekits answered a lot more often, and went out of his way to try and meet my needs. Estimated delivery was 12 days (but I'm on holiday at that time, so I've asked him to delay a little). It is unfortunate that their lightweight disc frame is a too agressive fit for me, as in the end they were a bit cheaper as well.

That said, while there are no garantuees on quality in Chinese carbon, Workswell has a good reputation while Carbonbikekits is more of an unknown. I guess I'll find out. I will definitely post some pictures when it's all here.

Matthijs1973

by Matthijs1973

if you are from Belgium you better prepare for some high import taxes. As I understand they are pretty strict in Belgium at customs and a 400 euro frame would cost you the same in extra import taxes... More info is found at www.fiets.nl/forum

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

Matthijs1973 wrote:if you are from Belgium you better prepare for some high import taxes. As I understand they are pretty strict in Belgium at customs and a 400 euro frame would cost you the same in extra import taxes... More info is found at http://www.fiets.nl/forum

I know. I'm hoping XDB shipping will be able to avoid customs taxes.

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

Nope, free transfer of goods and persons (as long as the Uk is in the EU of course)

However that is a heavier frame, with quick releases and post mount brakes. So not for me.

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

Well, I had enjoyed service from CarbonBikeKits and now it seems like their service will really be put to the test.
My wheelset has arrived and it is a whopping 1600g as opposed to the promised 1475g. Without rim tape, axles or anything.
Mailed them to come up with a solution. Not pleased. At all.

It was delivered with quick releases and carbon pads as well. And without through axles.

(On a positive note, XDB delivered without issue and I did not have to pay any customs charges)

dmcgoy

by dmcgoy

Ticlimax wrote:Well, I had enjoyed service from CarbonBikeKits and now it seems like their service will really be put to the test.
My wheelset has arrived and it is a whopping 1600g as opposed to the promised 1475g. Without rim tape, axles or anything.
Mailed them to come up with a solution. Not pleased. At all.

It was delivered with quick releases and carbon pads as well. And without through axles.

(On a positive note, XDB delivered without issue and I did not have to pay any customs charges)

Eeek. How many spokes is the wheelset? Napkin match gives ~1500 grams for a 24/24 spoke wheelset (475+475 (rims) +320 (hubset)+(4.5*48) (spokes)+15 (nipples)). However a 32/32 spoke wheelset would come out to about 1580 grams.

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

Ticlimax wrote:Ceramic is going to be out of my budget. The Wheels Mfg one is 100 euro and 99g. So far my choice. Still looking for a good option as far as delivery in Europe goes.

Hollandbikeshop sells Wheels Mfg BB86 bottom brackets. From the looks of it a little less expensive than the 100 euros you mentioned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com