Anyone got a 36t cassette and can help me with the diameter of that cog?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hi WW's...

An older and heavier friend is preparing for the Taiwan KOM 3km climb and wants to max out his ultegra 6800 longer cage derailleur. (Bike is a Trek Domane) He's currently on a 32t cassette but visually the upper pulley of the derailleur is a good ~10mm away from the largest cog and the B-screw is barely being used.

Since 34t 11s cassettes are hard to find, and a sram pg1130 36t cassette is available online at a price low enough to risk trying it, I am thinking to try a 36t on there.

Without actually having the cassette to try I'm trying to assess if it could fit.

Does someone have a 36t cog they can help me measure the diameter of so I can see if it could fit?

My 25t red cassette has a 102.4mm diameter which extrapolated to 36t makes 147.5mm and 32t 131.1mm. Diameter difference is around 16.4mm and half of that is 8.2mm. So the derailleur should need around 8.2mm + chain in clearance on a 32t to clear a 36t cog. Does this seem right to you?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Seems right to me, plus you can calculate it via the chain pitch.

FWIW my mid cage 6800 would shift a 36t cassette - it mainly depends on how long the hanger is. You can get a Wolftooth road link to be on the safe side though.

Kurets

by Kurets

It is easy to calculate the diameter of a cssette as measured in the midpoint of the "valleys" that is because the tooth spacing is 1/2 of an inch. So a 36t cassette will have a circumference of 36*0.5*25.4mm which gives a valley diameter of 145.5mm. Add in the height of a tooth which is somewhere around 4mm I'd geuss and you end up close to your number.