Selle SMP Dynamic Saddle and Ass Saver

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanjob

by alanjob

Hello all,

Long time no type, but here goes.

I have a Selle SMP Dynamic Saddle that I find very Comfortable.
The issue I have is when I want to use the little Ass Saver mudguard.
(as is can get a little wet in Northern Ireland)
The rear logo below the saddle (as below) gets in the way.

Question is, am I able to cut off this logo with out affecting the performance of the saddle.
It doesn't look to be doing anything, apart from displaying the brand.

Alan

silvalis

by silvalis

i chopped mine off a month ago, no issues

for a different reason though - was making my saddle roll wobble around. did not have an issue with my ass saver and the logo previously on the dynamic or my other drakon though. just shove it in further
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanjob

by alanjob

silvalis wrote:i chopped mine off a month ago, no issues

for a different reason though - was making my saddle roll wobble around. did not have an issue with my ass saver and the logo previously on the dynamic or my other drakon though. just shove it in further

Thanks for your reply.
Funny enough I had the same issue with a saddle bag so I just ditched it and carried everything in a tool bottle.

Ill maybe cut it off Later

Alan

kgt

by kgt

You can cut it without any issues but its a little nice thing this logo, your SMP will :cry:

silvalis

by silvalis

I was using a lezyne micro caddy M bag which due to the placement of he zip worked well with the logo.
Usually had to wiggle it around to make it sit nicely though. Recently changed to a silva roll which managed to flip itself around on those crap BOA wires during a 100m off-road adventure one ride. The logo combined with the rail angle just made it impossible to securely tighten
Chasse patate

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Yes, it has been done before. I recall seeing someone here stripping etc his SMP, so search found this (but can't see pics) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109794&p=984101&hilit=smp+tuning#p984101
Less is more.

alanjob

by alanjob

Thanks guys.

I havent got round to cutting it yet. I ended up using an the larger asssaver and it seem to sit alot better but cant fold away.
Attachments
19814368_10155420099640396_882902374_o.jpg

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I was wondering about your issue :? It looks like those wings/flaps have not been tucked above the rails in between the rails and the seat body, so that the Wings/flaps prevent easy exit backwards.

Mine is tucked in which made the rail that runs across in the way, so I drilled 2 holes in the ass saver and trimmed off in between the holes to form a slot for the portion of rail, so that the ass saver sits higher. The logo bit is still in the way but not enough (I reckon) to warrant its removal. I actually think that I've installed it correctly (even though it's not perfect) and you haven't. But that's only my humble opinion!

It worked OK before I took out the drill and scalpel, keeping water off my undercarriage and back. I just didn't like it looked like a limp d.. and could have flapped a bit too (not for me to see so I don't know). Well, it's supposed to project horizontally from the seat. Whatever, it does its job.

BTW what do you mean by 'cant fold away'? I hope you're not asking too much of a piece of plastic sheet.
Less is more.

alanjob

by alanjob

shimmeD wrote:I was wondering about your issue :? It looks like those wings/flaps have not been tucked above the rails in between the rails and the seat body, so that the Wings/flaps prevent easy exit backwards.

Mine is tucked in which made the rail that runs across in the way, so I drilled 2 holes in the ass saver and trimmed off in between the holes to form a slot for the portion of rail, so that the ass saver sits higher. The logo bit is still in the way but not enough (I reckon) to warrant its removal. I actually think that I've installed it correctly (even though it's not perfect) and you haven't. But that's only my humble opinion!

It worked OK before I took out the drill and scalpel, keeping water off my undercarriage and back. I just didn't like it looked like a limp d.. and could have flapped a bit too (not for me to see so I don't know). Well, it's supposed to project horizontally from the seat. Whatever, it does its job.

BTW what do you mean by 'cant fold away'? I hope you're not asking too much of a piece of plastic sheet.

Hi ShimanoD, It looks like I had been using an older version (perhaps original) of the asssaver (Left) which clips onto the rails at the back of the saddle and it can fold in half below the saddle when not in use. I also have the extended version (Right) clips differently, and going by the video on their website the flaps are in the correct place, certainly feels solid enough. Though I see there is a newer version again different to mine. Alan
Attachments
IMG_9279.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I have the one on the right. I made a slot just above the last line of writing for the tube rail.
Less is more.