NEw road Bike Frame - Which tubing ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello ...

I own a cyclocross bike. I use it for audaxes (up to 600), going to work (35 km per day), weekend rides (160km per weekend), everything really a roadie dad does.

I decided to build a new steel frame and ditch the stock aluminium. I know what I would like the bike to do. It's not used for racing so sudden speed surges is not an issue.

Need it to be steady, climb nicely and descend securely. I will be riding a 61 cm frame ... so using a heavy tube may add a lot of weight taking into consideration how material is used for this size.

Will transfer wheels, discbreaks and groupset from the cyclocross.

Was wondering what is the best option for me as far as tubing is concerned ? Reynolds 631 ? Columbus Zona ? My budget is EUR 1000/ GBP 900 / USD 1200.

Just wanna have a rough idea before talking to local framebuilders. I was told Columbus Thron for 950 euros ... I think its a bit too much ? Thron is a bit old stock of tubing ... Zona is better nowadays?

arnoldagdagan

by arnoldagdagan

Planet X ti frames would fit your budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kupepe

by Kupepe

arnoldagdagan wrote:Planet X ti frames would fit your budget

Would prefer to go down the custom path ...

arnoldagdagan

by arnoldagdagan

arnoldagdagan wrote:Planet X ti frames would fit your budget

How about Waltly for 850$ plus shipping ...

RussellS

by RussellS

IF you can find a custom frame maker selling for $1200, you don't get a choice of tubing. He tells you what the tubing is and you say yes or no. Custom price goes up the more exotic the tubing becomes. $1200 would be the most basic steel. In the USA Gunnar offers a custom road frame, steel TIG, for $1300. Fork extra. They don't even talk about what steel they use. I'll assume its heat treated and good chromoly. It does not have the latest and greatest alloys and such.

morrisond

by morrisond

It may be more than your willing to spend but I built a bike out of Reynolds 853 in a 60 - works great, rides well and nice and stiff and I'm over 100 kg.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

A friend of mine makes really nice custom frames and one of the frames he made from Columbus Spirit.
I have not ridden a steel bike since the 1980's but this was very nice but still prefer my Cannondale EVO.
I think this frame is over $2,000 USD though. Since it appears you are in Europe you might check out Mercian cycles.
Beautiful classic frames, I had one back in the 1980s and loved it, wish I never sold it.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Kupepe wrote:Was wondering what is the best option for me as far as tubing is concerned ? Reynolds 631 ? Columbus Zona ? My budget is EUR 1000/ GBP 900 / USD 1200.

Im not sure where you live, but I’d think you won’t find anyone willing to make a custom geo disc brake frame for that little money. That is quite close to the cost of materials.

You might want to consider something like a Gunnar, but with custom geo and a fork, I think you’ll still come close to $2000 usd. I’d think that any builder would be at least that much.

gravity

by gravity

You can probably ask Colossi. They can probably make one for you within your budget.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

RussellS wrote:IF you can find a custom frame maker selling for $1200, you don't get a choice of tubing. He tells you what the tubing is and you say yes or no. Custom price goes up the more exotic the tubing becomes. $1200 would be the most basic steel. In the USA Gunnar offers a custom road frame, steel TIG, for $1300. Fork extra. They don't even talk about what steel they use. I'll assume its heat treated and good chromoly. It does not have the latest and greatest alloys and such.

Depending on application they use 853 or (up until recently, maybe a bit left) True Temper Platinum OX. They apparently found another US supplier making something similar to the Platinum OX. I just got a custom geo Gunnar built and we talked about tubing and such on the phone in addition to geo. The painted frame ended up being 1600g with integrated hanger, cage bolts, seat collar.