How many miles on your cassette?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Willem

by Willem

Approaching 17,000 miles on a Super Record 11 speed (2015) cassette and still going. Last chain skipped on one sprocket, but rode it in, OK now. Next chain change I will have to replace.

So, probably close to 20,000 miles on a Super Record cassette.

Who else has data?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I've never had to replace yet (small rider) but I hear "rule of thumb" is every three chains which puts it at around 6000-9000km. I usually don't follow rule of thumb, just mention it here to hear your opinions about it.

Of course with maintenance and perhaps rotating multiple chains on the bike that number can be extended significantly.

I like how you made it last so long. Good news for the campy community :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I split my riding between 3 Red and 2 XX1 cassettes, so they will probably outlive me - especially since I usually swap chains relatively early.

One of the XX1 cassettes (got all the above used) had the chain jumping on one of the smaller sprockets, but that went away after one or 2 longer rides.

I only do about 10k / year nowadays.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Wow 17K miles is impressive!! I'd say I get about 10K with SR and 15K with Chorus with changing chains every 5K.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

kode54

by kode54

i never know when to change the cassette. i try to keep it clean so grit doesn't wear out the teeth...but 17K is amazing.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

My rule of thumb is two chains per cassette. With the 3rd chain I change cassettes. That's from testing and experiencing skipping if I try to put a 3rd chain on the same cassette. Not sure of the mileage but it's sure a lot less than 17k miles, maybe 3000miles. I have so many wheels etc now that I can't keep track and just generally go by feel... when it's not shifting quite perfectly with a new chain, then it's time to toss the cassette.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Willem wrote:Approaching 17,000 miles on a Super Record 11 speed (2015) cassette and still going...

Amazeballs.

I've been riding SRAM 1090/1190 cassettes for years. I replace the cass every other year or 6-8K mi. I thought that I was doing good on usage mileage! I clean road grime off the cass every other month or so.

For chains, I've also been riding KMC X10/11SL for years. I go through two chains each year. I remove the chain every other week or so for a good cleaning.

Just experienced my first broken KMC quick link. Fortunately, it was 20m from home. Hard to know why?!

Delorre

by Delorre

I now have almost 21000 km on my record cassette. I only changed the 15t to a new one something like 4 or 5000 km ago. I'm about to change to a new chain (that will be the 5th) and if no skipp, that chain will probably be the last one for this cassette, so probably around 25 or 26000 km. Not bad!

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Campagnolo cassettes and chains are amazingly durable. I analysed the materials they use ( steel and ti) and it was interesting how low the carbon content of the steel is. Looks like they have and extremely advanced quenching method. The material is also tempered, by the way.

Really impressive material tech there.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I wonder how many turbo or roller miles are on these high mile cassettes. Like colngo I dont get close. chainsand cassettes are cheap enough for me I just leave them and get 3000 miles or so and bin the two. During winter I can wear out a chain in a 1000 miles or on my MTB in one ride.

Delorre

by Delorre

bm0p700f wrote:I wonder how many turbo or roller miles are on these high mile cassettes. Like colngo I dont get close. chainsand cassettes are cheap enough for me I just leave them and get 3000 miles or so and bin the two. During winter I can wear out a chain in a 1000 miles or on my MTB in one ride.

I guess around 1000 miles, my Addict is the 'good' bike, so I have an other for rollers, bad weather etc. And I ownr a smarttrainer now with it's own cassette, no more cheating, even if it was only a Small amount of miles...

Campa cassettes are really well made, my Edco Monobloc is shot (I should say, the 15t) after 7000 km. They deel to use very soft steel. Will see how durable a DA9100 one is...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I only use Sram 1190 cassettes. I just put a new chain (5th) on the same cassette and it skipped. I have a new spare cassette so I quickly swapped out the cassette. I estimate I have about 12,000 miles on it. I compared the worn cassette to the new one and I can't really detect any difference. But I did the chain pull test and I could clearly see the chain riding on top of the cassette teeth. If I replace my chain more often perhaps I could prolong the life of the cassette. The 1190 cassette costs me about $200 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawyer

by sawyer

There are two schools of thought on this:

- replace chain as many times as possible on a cassette until it skips

This is the more expensive approach but also results in fractionally higher efficiency from never running a stretched chain

- run chain and cassette together into the ground and don't care about chain stretch

Using this method the two can work well (i.e. no skipping) together for a very, very long time, and I've had over 30,000km using this method. But you ultimately do trade off a bit of efficiency and new chain "feel". Cheaper, but less mechanically efficient.

As with so many things in cycling, this subject has its fair share of lore, and many people think, wrongly, there is a huge downside to the second approach.

Guess which approach makes more money for the cycling trade?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

LionelB

by LionelB

3000 miles on a campy cassette ? Sounds very very low to me. I happen to have too many bikes and wheels and I almost never replace a cassette because it is worn. I change chains at around 6000km. Some of my cassettes (Chorus, R and SR) have more than 15K km though. No issue.

Delorre

by Delorre

sawyer wrote:There are two schools of thought on this:

- replace chain as many times as possible on a cassette until it skips

This is the more expensive approach but also results in fractionally higher efficiency from never running a stretched chain

- run chain and cassette together into the ground and don't care about chain stretch

Using this method the two can work well (i.e. no skipping) together for a very, very long time, and I've had over 30,000km using this method. But you ultimately do trade off a bit of efficiency and new chain "feel". Cheaper, but less mechanically efficient.

As with so many things in cycling, this subject has its fair share of lore, and many people think, wrongly, there is a huge downside to the second approach.

Guess which approach makes more money for the cycling trade?

Your secound choose being the more cheap may be valid if you use an Ultegra chain and cassette, but with the really expensive DA, SR cassettes, it seems to be more economical to change 4 or 5 40€ chains every 3000 miles than change the whole driventrain (250 to 350€) after 6000 or 7000 miles. I don't see a cassette last much longer with a chain stretching more and more...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com