Super six evo hi mod frame concern

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toastie

by toastie

Not sure if anyone can help me out but I'm a bit worried about my frame. I bought it as a complete used bike a few months ago and ever since I've had it there is an annoying creak when climbing out the saddle so I decided to try and fix it tonight.
It sounds like the front end somewhere so I ordered new bearings so I could do it all while I had it apart but while it was stripped down I noticed what looks like a crack in the frame inside the headtube!! The paint on the outside isn't cracked but it just looks a bit odd like it shouldn't be there. Does anyone have athe same frame, mines a 2015 so last of the old model. I've hopefully attached a picture to show what I mean.

IMG_2197.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's toast

toastie

by toastie

I hope your wrong too! Just for clarity I'm talking about this bit Image

numberSix

by numberSix

IMO that's a bladder seam imprint or similar artifact from the molding process, not a crack. The creak, if coming from the steering head, is likely due to the bearings vs frame seats. A thin film of thick grease, like moly, on the bearings' entire exterior surface should stop that. Including the races where they touch the fork. After top cap compression and assembly, a brief ride, loosen the stem bolts and re-preload the bearings. Tighten stem. If you're a heavy sweater or wash the bike a lot, this needs to be redone at least twice a year.

Hope this helps,

toastie

by toastie

numberSix wrote:IMO that's a bladder seam imprint or similar artifact from the molding process, not a crack. The creak, if coming from the steering head, is likely due to the bearings vs frame seats. A thin film of thick grease, like moly, on the bearings' entire exterior surface should stop that. Including the races where they touch the fork. After top cap compression and assembly, a brief ride, loosen the stem bolts and re-preload the bearings. Tighten stem. If you're a heavy sweater or wash the bike a lot, this needs to be redone at least twice a year.

Hope this helps,

That helps a lot thank you very much. This "crack" seems to be inside the top tube as well but looks like it has some kind of carbon tape bonded to it. I've just reassembled and greased all bearing surfaces and used some carbon assembly paste on the bar clamp and on the stem where it attaches to the steerer and it didn't creak when I popped round the block so fingers crossed that was the issue but it did concern me when I saw that inside the frame. The only thing that made me think it was ok was the fact the paint on the outside wasn't cracked and i think it would be if this really was a crack

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Using UD and not weaved carbon is one of the reasons these things happen.