Weight weenie frame choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

964Cup

by 964Cup

So, this happened to my R5Ca this morning:

It's possibly repairable, but I'm not sure that's a brilliant idea, given what other hidden damage may have been done to the chainstay or seatstay. Therefore it's new frame time. We're talking maximum weenie here - the bike was 5.3kg in it's lightest guise, ready to ride.

Choices:
  • Cervelo RCa. This would be the default choice; it's the closest thing to a like-for-like replacement.
  • Cervelo R5 (2018). What's 200g between friends? (Quite a lot, this is WW). I could spend the (massive) saving on Schmolke/MCfk/Berk bits to bring the weight back down.
  • AXLightness Vial Evo Ultra; I've got some Ultra24T wheels - the quality is amazing - so i assume the frame would be similarly good.
  • Lightweight Urgestalt; I don't actually know what this weighs, but have heard good reports of the ride.
  • Trek Emonda SLR (2018); apparently now very light; rather less expensive than the other choices; major manufacturer support.
  • Fuji SL Elite; but I hear these come up heavier than claimed. Very cheap, but I'm not sure you can still buy them new in the UK.

I understand that the Merida Scultura 9000, while light, is noodly. So that's out.

Seeking the wisdom of crowds here.

Note - I have lots of bikes; I already have aero, custom, steel, Ti etc, so can we stick to the weenie brief, please - target frameset weight with all hardware including headset and BB of 1000g maximum in a 56/57/ML-ish size (that's how much the R5Ca weighed).

RyanH

by RyanH

You can add a Cannondale Hi mod Evo to the list too. Send it to Kevin and he'll strip it and paint it. Weights for mine in a 50 were 712ish with BB, 280g fork and I think 48g for the headset. That was less than 100g more than the R5ca and the fork isn't a noodle like the THM Scapula fork is. Ride is not as smooth/compliant as the R5ca though.

Regarding the Fuji SL, I'm sure its a nice bike. My altamira SL was a fantastic bike but at the end of the day my inner snob didn't want to be riding around on a performance bikes bike (that's the association in the US or maybe just CA)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

custom Berk or a Crumpton Ultralight.. 8)

itsacarr

by itsacarr

+1 for berk - forum. We could use a few more on the forum :)
Just ride ..

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Berk or new Trek Emonda

53x12

by 53x12

Trek Emonda SLR. 640g frame, 313g fork. 28mm clearance. Trek was always a boring manufacturer to me personally until they started getting some interesting products out like the current Madone and the Emonda. Solid frames. Not sure you can do much better for the price than a 640g frame from a well known manufacturer.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Emonda SLR is the only super light frame I'd actually like to try out. Being heavier at +/- 200lbs I still doubt it would be my frame of choice personally but I think the geometry is spot on, it's well thought out, and I trust Trek's layup R&D to produce a bike as reliable as possible given the amount of, or perhaps lack of material is a better way to describe it, in the frame. But if you're also a superlight rider, then why not.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Note: I have a previous gen Emonda SLR and it weighed 750g without any hardware in a 52cm H1, when their claimed weight is 690g.

lwk

by lwk

Not sure if the Look 785 Huez RS could be added to the list? The Zed crank is pretty light and stiff

964Cup

by 964Cup

The Look is out - no sensible power-metering option (I use Speedplay, so can't use P1s or Vectors, and that BB won't readily take another crank). I'm biased towards BBs that take a 30mm spindle, as I have an investment in Rotor PM chainsets, but for the saving between an Emonda and the RCa or Vial, I can easily buy another suitable P2M or similar chainset, I suppose.

My heart says RCa because exotic and I'm a Cervelo fanboi (I have an R5VWD and an S5 Team); my head says Emonda, because cheap and well-supported. Interesting that no-one has seconded the AX or the Lightweight yet. Crumpton is out because of distance, difficulty in support and cost with import duty; for that money I can buy an RCa and get change.

Ho hum. More agonising tomorrow when everyone is open, I suppose.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Look can run any crankset you want BTW.

964Cup

by 964Cup

dudemanppl wrote:Look can run any crankset you want BTW.

Sure, but isn't the Z-crank part of the Look USP?

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The RCA is an awesome frame choice if you want a bit of aero with your lightweight, still unmatched for a frame of with those qualities.

For pure weight/price factor, the Emonda is stunning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roadhog44

by roadhog44

Helium SLX - Great ££ too