Weight weenie frame choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I guess the other main issue is availability of things like the Ax and Lightweight - is their a distributor for those frames? The Emonda is only $3000 for a frameset - which is pretty damn reasonable I reckon if you're in the US

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seedster

by Seedster

1. Sarto (Seta has custom layup)
2. Berk (be prepared to wait, but Jure is a worthy of your trust)
3. Trek Emonda - I echo the sentiments of the great renaissance going on at Trek. They are making some great frames that live up to the hype.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I really like the emonda slr but there is one thing that annoys me. Isn't it a BB90 bike? It means you are forced to use heavier 24mm axle cranks.

In this sense a supersix on bb30 is kind of 50gr ahead by comparison, isn't it?

The supersix on the other hand is a bit behind the emonda in frame weight and aerodynamics. Seems to me it's kind of a ww wash between them.... :(

Anyone got some better info here? I'd love to hear it...

Emonda SLR 640gr with bb30 shell, that'd be my ww dream. Pretty aero tubes and cable routing. Sweet...

/a

RyanH

by RyanH

My supersix frame was about 90g lighter than the dudemanppl's Emonda.

964Cup

by 964Cup

alcatraz wrote:Emonda SLR 640gr with bb30 shell, that'd be my ww dream. Pretty aero tubes and cable routing. Sweet...

I think that's the point of the RCa, no? Aero-ish, 650g-ish, BB30-ish. Also quite expensive-ish. I worked out that I can get a 2018 Emonda SLR, switch to Etap, replace my conventional eebrakes with direct mount ones and buy a Quarq Dzero GXP and still have £1500 change compared to buying an RCa frameset. Given that I otherwise need to replace my RD (trashed) and my seatpost (zero setback, will need 25mm for any other frame), that's looking quite attractive. And I could sell off the rest of my Di2 groupset and the current seatpost, so the actual "cost to change" is probably more like £4.5k than £5k. The existing PowerLT chainset and eebrakes can go to upgrade another one of my bikes - more man maths justification there too.

On the other hand, CBR think they can repair the R5Ca. Just waiting for confirmation on lead time. More decisions...

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

964Cup wrote:So, this happened to my R5Ca this morning:

It's possibly repairable, but I'm not sure that's a brilliant idea, given what other hidden damage may have been done to the chainstay or seatstay. Therefore it's new frame time. We're talking maximum weenie here - the bike was 5.3kg in it's lightest guise, ready to ride.

Choices:
  • Cervelo RCa. This would be the default choice; it's the closest thing to a like-for-like replacement.
  • Cervelo R5 (2018). What's 200g between friends? (Quite a lot, this is WW). I could spend the (massive) saving on Schmolke/MCfk/Berk bits to bring the weight back down.
  • AXLightness Vial Evo Ultra; I've got some Ultra24T wheels - the quality is amazing - so i assume the frame would be similarly good.
  • Lightweight Urgestalt; I don't actually know what this weighs, but have heard good reports of the ride.
  • Trek Emonda SLR (2018); apparently now very light; rather less expensive than the other choices; major manufacturer support.
  • Fuji SL Elite; but I hear these come up heavier than claimed. Very cheap, but I'm not sure you can still buy them new in the UK.

I understand that the Merida Scultura 9000, while light, is noodly. So that's out.

Seeking the wisdom of crowds here.

Note - I have lots of bikes; I already have aero, custom, steel, Ti etc, so can we stick to the weenie brief, please - target frameset weight with all hardware including headset and BB of 1000g maximum in a 56/57/ML-ish size (that's how much the R5Ca weighed).

What size is it?

I have a 54 R5ca that don't ride much as I prefer the speed of my S5. I know that's sacrilegious on this forum.

I would be willing to sell it - its in pretty good condition. I live in Australia so not sure if that's too far away. Let me know if you're interested.

Saul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stax

by stax

I had a dropout repaired on an R3 a few years back. The repair was difficult according to the guy and the shifting was never any good after. I ended up getting a new frame through the Cervelo crash replacement policy at 30% off retail IIRC. May be an option open to you?

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Sorry about your frame. For me, the AX would be my first option.

I agree on the BB90 for the Emonda... It really makes no sense for such a light frame to limit crank choices like that... I believe you can put a Lightning crank on it, but you would lose the PM. It really bothers me that a lot of the new frames are now adopting PF86...

Another option, if you think you can live with the under the BB brake, is the Felt FR FRD (and it is BB386)

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I believe that THM cranks are also compatible with BB86/90, but they're not cheap! Then again, a top notch WW frame (R5CA, SS Evo, Edmonda, Addict (!!!), Berk, AX, Crumpton, Parlee, etc) deserves nothing le$$.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For what its worth, I'm leery of repairing the R5CA. It'll be very exciting either way. Good luck!

- Just a thought, what about an aero build? You've had a crazy light psuedo-aero climbing machine, so what what about all aero??

53x12

by 53x12

Johnny Rad wrote:- Just a thought, what about an aero build? You've had a crazy light psuedo-aero climbing machine, so what what about all aero??

From op:

964Cup wrote:Note - I have lots of bikes; I already have aero, custom, steel, Ti etc, so can we stick to the weenie brief, please - target frameset weight with all hardware including headset and BB of 1000g maximum in a 56/57/ML-ish size (that's how much the R5Ca weighed).
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

eric01

by eric01

As a happy AX Lightness Vial owner, I vote for the AX. Geometry fits me well too. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure my size small frame with BB and headset bearings + cut THM fork was <1000g

Trek 2018 emonda looks intriguing. Curious to see what the actual weights are including paint. Price point is nice. $1k USD less than last year.

Did you consider the canyon ultimate evo? Interestingly enough, minus VAT, its the same price as new Emonda.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

uraqt

by uraqt

Will Cervelo replace it under warranty?

C

964Cup

by 964Cup

eric01 wrote:As a happy AX Lightness Vial owner, I vote for the AX. Geometry fits me well too. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure my size small frame with BB and headset bearings + cut THM fork was <1000g

Trek 2018 emonda looks intriguing. Curious to see what the actual weights are including paint. Price point is nice. $1k USD less than last year.

Did you consider the canyon ultimate evo? Interestingly enough, minus VAT, its the same price as new Emonda.

Actually, I forgot about the Canyon. Don't know the frame weight; I know they did a top-line halo model that was very light, but that had a lot of serious WW components to get the weight. To be added to the list.

964Cup

by 964Cup

uraqt wrote:Will Cervelo replace it under warranty?

C

Doubt it - I've had it custom-drilled for Di2, and had the cable-stops shaved off; pretty sure that's voided the warranty. Also Cervelo direct customer service in Europe is unimpressive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com