Chapter2 Tere

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

The design is prone to slipping and is just plain poorly thought out IMO. I seen a pic somewhere with one set up in a two bolt design but I can’t remember where now. Mine slipped on the third ride out about 40 miles from home which was fully awesome, it’s now tighter than I’ve ever done a 5mm(?) Allen key ever in my life and I’m still struggling to trust it. Give me a two bolt Tomson styleee any day, I wouldn’t mind so much if it was lighter but it’s also shit :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

Guess it's just yours then, mines been solid as a rock and never slipped. Are you using a torque wrench or just tightening by feel?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

There’s no point using a torque wrench when I’m physically doing the bolt as tight as feel I can get it without wrecking something... but yeah, did first time, calibrated 1/4 drive Snap-On, next time I’ll use the 1/2 drive :lol:

sfo423

by sfo423

Has anyone ridden the Tere and the Canyon Endurace CF? Comparisons?

Can anyone riding the Tere disc in an XL comment on front end & BB stiffness (also note your weight)? I stumbled upon this brand and at first I thought it was a knockoff BMC Team Machine. But, the geo fits what I am looking for. Price is attractive as well. Just don't want a noodler.

TIA.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

I have an Xl Tere Disc. Have been ~105kg while I've had this bike (and thus it is the worst bike up hills I've ever had, the much cheaper bikes I had 15kg ago were a lot faster).
Haven't had any stiffness issues, haven't raced on it but have done a few ~1000w for 10-20s efforts on it and no noodling.

silvalis

by silvalis

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:21 pm
The design is prone to slipping and is just plain poorly thought out IMO. I seen a pic somewhere with one set up in a two bolt design but I can’t remember where now. Mine slipped on the third ride out about 40 miles from home which was fully awesome, it’s now tighter than I’ve ever done a 5mm(?) Allen key ever in my life and I’m still struggling to trust it. Give me a two bolt Tomson styleee any day, I wouldn’t mind so much if it was lighter but it’s also shit :noidea:
The design isn't pooly thought out, it's pretty standard across several mfgs. It's a common complaint with all of these style 1-bolt designs. In my experience, once you figure out how tight you actually need to do up a 1bolt it won't slip again - probably takes a few goes too.

I do mine at least 8nm
Chasse patate

sfo423

by sfo423

Why / what is the problem with the bike going uphill? Heavy? Other?

cyclenutnz wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:49 am
I have an Xl Tere Disc. Have been ~105kg while I've had this bike (and thus it is the worst bike up hills I've ever had, the much cheaper bikes I had 15kg ago were a lot faster).
Haven't had any stiffness issues, haven't raced on it but have done a few ~1000w for 10-20s efforts on it and no noodling.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

sfo423 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:24 am
Why / what is the problem with the bike going uphill? Heavy? Other?

cyclenutnz wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:49 am
I read this as being related to @cyclenutz's weight and not the Tere's performance ...15kg of good living :D

Hey @cyclenutz...is that your bike for sale on TradeMe? If so good luck
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Squashednuts wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:42 am
I read this as being related to @cyclenutz's weight and not the Tere's performance ...15kg of good living :D
Hey @cyclenutz...is that your bike for sale on TradeMe? If so good luck
Not so much good living as having children and too much work. But yes, totally my fault that the bike is slow up hills. Torckler is much faster on all the local segments on his one.

Yes, selling the Tere as I got a Paralane so I could fit wider tyres and full mudguards (because I love full mudguards, although having a bike for winter training is a bit of a joke right now). Currently in the dismal state of having 5 road bikes, none of which are rideable.

2old4this

by 2old4this

Sorry to bring this older tread up...

I've been looking at Chapter2 Tere and found this ebay posting with a picture of the underside of the downtube
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chapter-2-XS-R ... SwXiZbbZw-

The sixth picture show some sort of "melted" carbon effect. :noidea:

I've asked Chapter2 about what that is. I got the following response.
"Even in Uni-directional finish there are a number of different “looks”. Ours is a marbling effect which has the same structural qualities as standard monotone Uni-directional carbon found on other frames in the market."

I have not seen this on other carbon frames. Chapter2 owners, Do you see the same effect on your bikes? If so, I think I am going to order one, based on the reviews...

KotP

by KotP

^
It's fine, those tube sections are clear coat on nude carbon, see here: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/07/chapter ... et-review/

2old4this

by 2old4this

KotP wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:00 am
^
It's fine, those tube sections are clear coat on nude carbon, see here: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/07/chapter ... et-review/
Thanks for the link. I've seen it. I have a naked carbon Storck which has some irregularities as well but not as pronounced as the ebay one. The down tube and chainstays looks like injection gone bad (I am not saying it is gone bad, it just looks that way.) Looking at the bottom bracket, the injection seems very smooth and uniform, but right after the bottom bracket, there seems to be waves of material pushed irregularly. If it is a smooth surface, I am wondering if it has been filled with clearcoat.

KotP

by KotP

To me is seems like a purposeful feature, not carbon lay-up gone bad or irregularities, they would send the best example of their frameset for review But each to their own.

And the area around the BB looks smooth because it's been painted, that is, it's not exposed carbon.

moonoi

by moonoi

Has anyone used a threaded BB with a GXP Quarq Dzero on their Chapter2 Tere?

The existing BB is starting to creak, although the bearings need replacing anyway due to wear, I'm thinking something like the Wheelsmfg BB86 Thread Together GXP BB would be more durable and potentially be more creak free, however I noticed that some versions say they aren't compatible with a Quarq

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

I haven't but am interested.
I had a std sram gxp bb in mine (now in my rere). No creaking yet.
Chasse patate