Valve extender help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I've bought some Veloflex sprinters for my Cannondale. I'm not sure if I'll use em this season, but a couple of concerns re use. The valves are 42mm - which is the same depth as my rims. Which valve extenders do you recommend that are in keeping with my priorities:

1) Will still allow me to inject sealant by the road if needed
2) Not too long, but sufficuent to get the pump on
3) Light
4) Black preferred but not essential

Give me your knowledge to imbibe WW!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

Just put some silca/zipps my Victoria Corso tubs.....they work excellently but I have no experience of using sealant with them or any others.......

The good part about the zipps is that they have a grey rubber cover on the shaft which elliminates valve rattle.

sungod

by sungod

i've used conti, lightweight, and vittoria extenders with veloflex, all ok

vittoria ones are available in black, make sure you get normal presta extenders not vittoria's old proprietary ones, these are fine...

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/vittoria- ... sions-2pcs

... they also include a nice metal core tool, much better than the plastic ones

do them up *tight* when fitting, a bit of ptfe tape will help give a tighter fit, then you can use the core tool to take the valve out if you need to squirt some sealant in on the road

tufo extreme works very well with veloflex, about a quarter of a bottle is usually enough

carry something you can use to push through the narrow hole of the extender as the tufo can easily seal it, i use a bit of plastic coated wire

1415chris

by 1415chris

Zipp: grey, light, very good.
Silca: black with anti rattling rubber, brilliant. They come in different lenghts.
I used at some point, Token or BBB extenders. The valve core was going a bit dipper into the shaft, not leaving enough exposed thread on the core. Having screw on pump head it wasn't ideal.
All of them are for removable valve core (friendly for sealant injections).

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Actually the 22mm wide tubs I've bought are a bit different to the ones on the Veloflex website, which are 23mm wide. I think the valve is only going to be 32mm. A good seal with ptfe is gonna be essential as I won't be able to reach the valve! While fancy extenders are ok, I'd be happy to put a wrap of electric tape round where the valve exits the rim.

So complete amateur question, but I'm new to tubs and having to maybe use sealant...the Veloflex core comes out, the Vittoria extender (which I assume has a removable core in it) goes on and we're good to glue?

Do you think a 30mm extender would be enough? That should leave about 20mm sticking through the rim. I can't stand long unsightly valves! Spose I could just chuck a standard extender on the Vittoria extender while inflating if it was a touch short for the pump head...

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Sorry to spam... Sungod, were the LWs comparible with a removable valve core? They come in a good length for me. I have some BBBs, which aren't compatible, so don't want to waste £ on a product that doesn't work as needed.

sungod

by sungod

i've got various veloflex, old carbon, new carbon, arenberg, sprinter, criterium, they all have 32mm stem

fwiw with 47.5 rim depth a 30mm extender is fine, there's a 'normal' amount of stem projecting to get a pump on, not excessive

the lightweight extenders are 30mm, tbh i prefer the vittoria ones for the better core tool

you take the valve out of the tyre stem and screw the extender onto the stem, then put the valve from the tyre into the end of the extender, i.e. you can always reach the valve with this type of extender

to inject sealant you only remove the valve

in the event you accidentally unscrew the extender once the tub is glued, it's not the end of the world, even out on the road you just use your fingers to press the valve seat 'into' the rim and then screw the extender back in using fingers, it'll seal well enough (once home, inflate hard then use pliers to tighten it a bit)

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Thanks Sungod and others for the advice - much appreciated. Ah ok, your explanation was what I thought. That was the only way I could fathom it working. I ordered the LWs (apparently they're 28mm long). I'm not too worried about the tool - I already have an aluminium one which is better than the crappy plastic ones you normally get for free.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com