Where are Canyon made in?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

had a discussion with coworkers today as we're all hooked on Canyon bikes since it'll be in US soon.

not sure if this has been asked before.. but where are canyon frames made in? googled and found and old thread that mentioned they are made in china?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12725895

would be great if fellow members have some inside tracks. ;) thanks~

jlok

by jlok

It's true, MIC. I think it has been discussed within one year here.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

any idea by which MFG?

53x12

by 53x12

Canyon is manufactured in Taiwan, which depending on your political view is independent or is still part of China.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/ro ... -cf-sl-9-0

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-am ... VWTgjz3aEc
Last edited by 53x12 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

addictR1 wrote:any idea by which MFG?

Already a previous thread on this topic:

viewtopic.php?t=140947
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Made in China, not Taiwan. Same factory where Madones are made. The name escapes me.

There was an article a while back that talked about different tiers of composite manufacturers; the cream, crap, and cowboys or something like that. This was discussed on WW. The article mentions this manufacturer by name. Their website has pics of Madones and Canyons.

EDIt: Doh, last post of the linked thread
Last edited by kkibbler on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i think the point is that canyon goes to extra lengths to ensure quality control. and if you are going to outsource manufacturing a strong quality control program is even more important.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Ironically I live in China and Chinese riders hate bikes that are made in China. The anger is due to the premium prices for things that are made 'down the road' and therefore should be reasonably priced, yet the prices are more expensive than in the west. Plus there is some confusion over Trek/Giant and Merida/Specialized as some of their bikes are made in Taiwan and others are made in China.

It's a reason that brands like Fuji have been doing so well in China recently. Even their lower end carbon fiber bikes are made in Taiwan and are reasonably priced.

53x12

by 53x12

kkibbler wrote:Made in China, not Taiwan. Same factory where Madones are made. The name escapes me.

Quest Composite Technologies, however I believe that is for the highest end Canyons. But just because Quest's website shows picture of Canyon bikes doesn't necessarily mean that is where all of Canyon's frames are made.

Roman Arnold, a former retailer, started Canyon as a house brand for his retail and wholesale business, Radsport Arnold. He began selling bikes online in 2003. Canyon's German-engineered frames are produced in Taiwan and bikes are assembled as stock in Koblenz, Germany, where the company is based. Bypassing the wholesaler and retailer, Canyon claims to offer consumers high-quality at better prices than competitors.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-am ... VWwlMaZNE6

wwnick

by wwnick

the reason I would buy a canyon before any other brand....

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/why-is ... aws/019939

askeAnker

by askeAnker

53x12 wrote:
kkibbler wrote:Made in China, not Taiwan. Same factory where Madones are made. The name escapes me.

Quest Composite Technologies, however I believe that is for the highest end Canyons. But just because Quest's website shows picture of Canyon bikes doesn't necessarily mean that is where all of Canyon's frames are made.

Roman Arnold, a former retailer, started Canyon as a house brand for his retail and wholesale business, Radsport Arnold. He began selling bikes online in 2003. Canyon's German-engineered frames are produced in Taiwan and bikes are assembled as stock in Koblenz, Germany, where the company is based. Bypassing the wholesaler and retailer, Canyon claims to offer consumers high-quality at better prices than competitors.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-am ... VWwlMaZNE6

Yes, exactly. Quest is the manufacturer of Canyon and Trek. How much they outsource to China is difficult to know. Most likely, a lot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bruno2000

by bruno2000

A lot of Specialized (non S-Works) , Merida, Storck, Stevens,...carbon frame are made by Martec Composites in China, the owner of Kuota brand.

askeAnker

by askeAnker

This is a really good article on the subject. I like the differentiation of cowboy (often copy) and competent (often open mould) manufacturers. They list the big brands and their manufacturers in the end.
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/cream- ... -it/019441

canoas

by canoas

Taiwan, as far I know Time hand made in France are the only bike manufacturer in the world than have in house carbon weave machines, even Colango have all the tubes made Taiwan and assembled in Italy for the C60

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

askeAnker

by askeAnker

canoas wrote:Taiwan, as far I know Time hand made in France are the only bike manufacturer in the world than have in house carbon weave machines, even Colango have all the tubes made Taiwan and assembled in Italy for the C60

I'm pretty sure Giant has as well.