Retul / 3D bike fit - advantages?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mvcap

by mvcap

Have just spent a year riding a bike I bought new last summer. Initial shop fit was hop on trainer, make some adjustments to saddle, bars, etc. Took about 30mins.

Since then, I have ridden with zero pain whatsoever. Is this common? I'm 41 and fit, but a repetitive motion with a poor position would lead to problems anyway, I'm quite sure. I think the guy who set me up was good, so I don't doubt him.

However...

I have seen a local fitter specializing in Retul fits, and I wonder, what is the advantage, realistically? Is it stupid to look into 3D fits when I am pain-free to begin with? Can it make me faster? More efficient? What kinds of gains are offered through the more in-depth fits?

I'd love to hear from some of you more experienced riders on this, especially if you have been in a similar position to mine.

It's just a matter of curiosity and wondering if it can accelerate my improvement. And I do understand most of the gains I will make are going to come from just sweat and heavy breathing :)

Thanks!

canoas

by canoas

If you feel comfortable, do not feel any pain or back pain after long rides, then stick with it. Unless you feel a better position would help in races, example sprints.

I have been Retul fitted and the system worked for me after a long bike fit absence, one thing the Retul won't take into account is flexibility, how you body adapts over the years depending what form you in etc, how fit you are, if you are exercising/stretching. These types of adjustments need to be made with a human eye.

An example, all pros have there stems slammed, depending on bike manufacturer they may need to stick a 2.5mm spacer but generally slammed, reason they are very flexible this enables them to be in a better position for a sprint or an attack on a climb. I went to a pro race in Spain last year every single bike I saw (which was a lot, was slammed, generally with the lowest cap after the tube i.e. - flat!) this mostly included a very long stem 130-140mm, climbers were 110-130mm (Nibali 130mm). Pierre Rolland (climber) is the same height as me, saw his bike at the Tour in 2011, same brand bike as me, same size as me but his stem was 130mm mine 120mm, they are so flexible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wwnick

by wwnick

my advice, no need for retul if you are not hurting.
for efficiency improvements you can experiment yourself, if it doesnt work out you have a pain free reference point to go back to.
if you can slam your stem, try it, I found with slammed stem , that, handling was much better.
also narrower bars, i read recently 2cm narrower bars will outweigh any 2-4000e aero-frame upgrade... see here http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ars-199446
whilst still on subject of bars, unwrap the top half of tape and make micro adjustments to brifter posutions until you get it just right, i spent 10 days until i found perfect position.
lastly, try moving saddle forward for more power.

one change at a time and fall back to reference point if needed.

Vermu

by Vermu

I had a 3d fit, and while I don't race it really didn't give such an insight I would've hoped for.
IMO it all comes down to fitter. Even without 3d it can be done right.
I reckon that 3d fitting with shimanos system (which I had) is good for amateurs getting into racing or racers without support like WT guys have. For those the power distribution whilst pedaling and left right difference can give info on how to change position.
When talking about a person who has been riding for a few years - not seeing the benefit.

And you'll adapt. Flexibility comes to some extent to all of us, who actively train/ride. So the fit you're having now, might not be the same after a few years.

Mep

by Mep

I was in the same boat myself not long ago. Can you post a photo of your current fit?

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I think you answered your own question - if you are pain free and happy I don't see a reason. In my experience a good bike fitter is all that's usually required for a recreational athlete. I had been battling with pain on one side of my body (just right sit bone) for years. Tried to fix it with shims (according to my chiro I have a leg length discrepancy). Bike fitter immediately said "It could just be the width of your seat" - I ended up moving to a 155mm and problem solved. And it was only talking with an experienced bike fitter that I found the solution.

Ignore the "Fear Of Missing Out" - sounds like you are good.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

^^^

I'm thinking there's something wrong with what your fitter suggested. It's known you have a leg length issue, and shimming does seem like the right solution. It is not clear why saddle width matters, but it feels like the wrong approach. Even if it feels ok at the moment, it can have bad consequences in the long run. This is the problem I have with fitters: suggestions like these feel like pseudo-science, a bit like snake oil. They seem to depend on luck to solve problems, and it should not be this way. The right way is to figure out what the root cause is, and fix that.

Fiery

by Fiery

There is very little solid science on anything related to biomechanics in general, and especially related to bike fitting. There is very rarely a single, definitive "root cause" for any problem, and a lot of suspected problems are often misdiagnosed (for example leg length differences). It always boils down to more or less educated guesswork in the end.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

Hi. Pain free or no experience of discomfort is not always and indicator of a perfect bike fit or a perfect position. But If you are happy the way you are and you are really free of pain and discomfort, then just ride and enjoy your bike ;).

That said. If you are looking to become more efficient, or get into races or you have goals, then yes. A more profound bike fitting should make you more efficient, cause certainly a 30minutes bike fit is a very poor service... But as always I suggest to investigate your bikefitter and try to get feedback from other people that have reached him before. And I would choose the best bikefitter in town over every piece of technology that others can offer you.

I know bikefitters that could improve your riding experience using just their eyes, and others can't even do a good job with the ultimate technology.

Like @Fiery said. Bikefitting is not a perfect science and every year comes out more research or studies that sometimes, they contradict last year studies. And be up to date is fitter's job. So tools alone are worth nothing.

audiojan

by audiojan

Bike fitting is much more than just eliminating pain. It's to make sure you are in the possible position for YOU balancing your body/flexibility/core strength, with terrain/type of riding (i.e. distance, racing, etc.)/goals and aerodynamics/power, etc.

Retul or other 3D motion capture systems are nothing more than a tool. You should shop for the best FITTER, not the tool they are using. The best tool in the wrong hands can yield a horrible fit. A great fitter with quite simple tools can yield a great fit.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

kode54

by kode54

some of the best fitters don't rely on Retul or Guru systems. they can see it when you pedal. i had a terrible Retul fit...and the fitter relied on the data versus what a great fitter looks at.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

c60rider

by c60rider

I think the so-called professional fits like retul and others are yet another reason to try to convince people to part with hundreds unnecessarily. Just a glance at the pro-peleton for a moment and you'll see what looks like overly high saddles on some, super low on others, upright, incredibly stretched out. If anyone is looking for even the slightest gains in improved performance it would be a pro. What it says is there isn't a standard where by everyone will fit. It's a little bit of trial and error but unfortunately an expensive one if you get a bike that is totally out. Experienced riders who have read around the topic have probably picked up all manner of tips over the years and adjusted their position. That's what I've done. Get the basic frame size correct then there can be a huge range of subtle position adjustments achieved with simple seat height and saddle fore/aft adjustments along with stem length/height. Some LBS will want to sell you the bike they want to sell you not what you need. I bought a Colnago C60 and I was unsure of either a 50s or 52s I was slightly in between but the 52s had more measurements closer to my existing bikes. When I went to order it he was recommending a 56s based on my height!!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Some pros are very stubborn and aren't in the habit of trying radically different things to what they already know...why emulate them rather than finding out what works for you? It's all about communicating with your fitter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com