Bike size help 5'10'' height 33.5''inseam

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
dlcrep
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:05 pm
Contact:

by dlcrep

You definitely need a frame sized around a 56cm/ML. I'm exactly the same height but with a 32.5" inseam. I can't imagine you fitting a 54 cause even some 56 headtubes are too short for me.

antonio07
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:11 pm

by antonio07

dlcrep wrote:You definitely need a frame sized around a 56cm/ML. I'm exactly the same height but with a 32.5" inseam. I can't imagine you fitting a 54 cause even some 56 headtubes are too short for me.


I was talking to the bike fitter and he said I have to look for something with at least 550mm stack height, 560mm is ideal. And to match this with a 55 toptube.
I'm looking at Pinarello, they have 55 frames that are exactly in between what I need a M / L 55 size.

What do you ride and what size ??

by Weenie


Thenuge
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:37 pm

by Thenuge

I think you are perfect sized for a 56. You're right in the middle. A 54 is going to be small, will most likely need a longer stem and a lot of spacers.

RyanH
Moderator
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

by RyanH

dlcrep wrote:You definitely need a frame sized around a 56cm/ML. I'm exactly the same height but with a 32.5" inseam. I can't imagine you fitting a 54 cause even some 56 headtubes are too short for me.

Fit is a little more complicated than just your height and inseam. I'm 175cm and if I were shopping for a Foil again, I'd need a XS with a slammed -10° stem.

Rogma84
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 8:46 pm

by Rogma84

So right about RyanH said.
Its all about your flexibility.

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

I think i understand, you are simply in love with a frame?
I have been there to. But it's a big mistake using as prio 1 for choosing a frame.
Because the frame brand and look, is not what makes a good feel, a good fit and a way to achieve best results and lasting eagerness to get out and ride.
I don't think either 54 or 56 will get you where you are asking.
Because 54 is probably better in reach (388mm), but stack is too low.
The 56 is very long, i am longer than you (182.5cm), inseam 87.2cm.
I would need a 90mm or maximum 100mm stem on the 56 size.
This pending on bar reach.
However, reach is reach and there is nothing more to it.
Reach is stem+handlebar reach. That is the reach which you use.

The best thing would be to look for a frame/ bike that is more in line with your preference on stack and reach.
How flexible you are.
To much reach will make you pull yourself forward and possibly (if too low stack) you tilt your pelvis forward and suffer from pain.
If you move saddle forward to much, you push body weight onto the arms.

I have done mistakes several times when it comes to frame size.
I think, many like to ride professional long and low bikes, but are not really suited.
You say you don't mind spacers. But you should have no more spacers than absolutely max 30mm.

Going for a ill-fit sized frame will not make your riding experience or feel good.
I assume either you regret it sooner or later, and/ or buy a new frame or simply ride less and less.

If i knew you better, i could tell you lots of expensive ideas which i realize was a big setback.
You should really contemplate what you are doing, before you do a mistake.

I say this to be friendly, not to be rude.

I also would say one more thing taking fit and frame size.
Length of arms, legs etc etc is not all.
Some people like to ride with more stretched out legs and some do not. I have seen this, even professionals.
Same with reach and stretch. It can pend on many things.
I would say, take a shorter reach bike like 380-382mm reach and a stack leaving you forced to use least amount of spacers.
Neither Scott Addict or Foil, or Spesh Tarmac in either 54 or 56 size will position you at this point.
I base this on what you have informed us over here.

Widen your field of frames and have as prio 1, size.
After that you can start looking at what you want more.
Without the fit, well, you can throw how much money you want on the bling but the fit... you can't change that.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

RyanH wrote:
dlcrep wrote:You definitely need a frame sized around a 56cm/ML. I'm exactly the same height but with a 32.5" inseam. I can't imagine you fitting a 54 cause even some 56 headtubes are too short for me.

Fit is a little more complicated than just your height and inseam. I'm 175cm and if I were shopping for a Foil again, I'd need a XS with a slammed -10° stem.


Wow,

i can see the reach would be nice, but jesus, how much drop do you ride with?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

antonio07
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:11 pm

by antonio07

wheelsONfire wrote:I think i understand, you are simply in love with a frame?
I have been there to. But it's a big mistake using as prio 1 for choosing a frame.
Because the frame brand and look, is not what makes a good feel, a good fit and a way to achieve best results and lasting eagerness to get out and ride.
I don't think either 54 or 56 will get you where you are asking.
Because 54 is probably better in reach (388mm), but stack is too low.
The 56 is very long, i am longer than you (182.5cm), inseam 87.2cm.
I would need a 90mm or maximum 100mm stem on the 56 size.
This pending on bar reach.
However, reach is reach and there is nothing more to it.
Reach is stem+handlebar reach. That is the reach which you use.

The best thing would be to look for a frame/ bike that is more in line with your preference on stack and reach.
How flexible you are.
To much reach will make you pull yourself forward and possibly (if too low stack) you tilt your pelvis forward and suffer from pain.
If you move saddle forward to much, you push body weight onto the arms.

I have done mistakes several times when it comes to frame size.
I think, many like to ride professional long and low bikes, but are not really suited.
You say you don't mind spacers. But you should have no more spacers than absolutely max 30mm.

Going for a ill-fit sized frame will not make your riding experience or feel good.
I assume either you regret it sooner or later, and/ or buy a new frame or simply ride less and less.

If i knew you better, i could tell you lots of expensive ideas which i realize was a big setback.
You should really contemplate what you are doing, before you do a mistake.

I say this to be friendly, not to be rude.

I also would say one more thing taking fit and frame size.
Length of arms, legs etc etc is not all.
Some people like to ride with more stretched out legs and some do not. I have seen this, even professionals.
Same with reach and stretch. It can pend on many things.
I would say, take a shorter reach bike like 380-382mm reach and a stack leaving you forced to use least amount of spacers.
Neither Scott Addict or Foil, or Spesh Tarmac in either 54 or 56 size will position you at this point.
I base this on what you have informed us over here.

Widen your field of frames and have as prio 1, size.
After that you can start looking at what you want more.
Without the fit, well, you can throw how much money you want on the bling but the fit... you can't change that.


First thank youuu for attention !!!
Thanks thanks !!
What about looking at a brand like Pinarello that has 53,54,55,56 frames ?
I think the 55 sits in between the 54-56 Scott options and may be easier to fit.
What do you think ?


Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

RyanH
Moderator
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

by RyanH

@wheelsOnFire on the Crumpton I have 12.5cm of drop and on the Litespeed I have 9.5cm. Depending on how you measure saddle height, mine is either 705 to center of saddle or 720mm to the sit bone area along the center of the saddle.

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

Hi Ryan,

aha, i see. I was just amazed you wrote you'd have the XS size and -10 stem slammed. For the reach i can understand, but for the stack, puh!
But i have about same drop at my gravel bike.
I ride a 387mm reach, 580mm stack, a 4mm headset dustcap and a Pro Sprint -10, 105mm stem. A short reach handlebar, short shallow drop.
I think numbers on this is 42cm C-C, reach 68mm, 115mm drop. Putting bar against a wall, measuring from wall and out, it's 75mm to center of handlebar clamp.
Drop is like stated. Bar is Salsa Cowbell 2. This is perfect for me and i am 182.5cm, inseam 87.6 - 87.7 cm.
I ride at 780mm saddle height, but the saddle has flex in the shell (if not i would probably ride it a bit lower). From BB-C to saddle top. That is, following seat mast tube to saddle top (level tool placed outwards so the yardstick/ rule is against the level tool.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post