Campy Chorus Brake Calipers Clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Can anyone verify, hopefully from actual experience (maybe even pics, whether or not the current Campagnolo Dual Pivot Chorus brake calipers have any more clearance than the current Dual Pivot Super Record or Record calipers?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

Cal, I doubt it. I just sold my Skeletons which *I believe* are the same as the Chorus. The rear only had slightly more clearance than the single pivot Record. I can't comment on the front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks Ryan... somewhere on here I remember a thread which said the 2015+ Chorus brakes had more clearance than Record or Super Record. They're all still the "skeleton" design, but if I could just squeeze even 1.5mm more clearance for a build I'm doing, that would be all I need. Tried the new 9100 brakes with the Campy levers, and although the calipers have good clearance, they just don't work well enough with the Campy levers. Which I was at first puzzled by, since I'm using the Shimano 105 calipers with my Campy SR levers on my rain bike. I figure out why they work there... the wheels are stiff handbuilt 32hole Nemesis rims and only 20mm in width (old standard), and I could run the pads quite close to the rim and hence, everything worked out fine. But with a wider rim, and a bit more flex, the calipers of the 9100 brakes need to be open a bit more, and when combined with the Campy levers its a no go. Shame, because the 9100 brakes do have nice clearance.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

I'm interested in this as well though, so let me know if you find the answer outside of this thread. On an interesting sidenote, the weight difference between Record and Skeleton (their cheapest non-label offering) is a scant 4g when you remove the brake shoes. Braking feel is different though.

Record

Non-label Skeleton

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I think this is the thread you might be thinking of http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129750&start=15
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I have both 2015+ Chorus and SR dual pivot brakes and I can say they have exactly same clearance. Below image is rear Chorus dual pivot brake with 2016 Bora tubular - Veloflex Roubaix combo:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

bikerjulio wrote:I think this is the thread you might be thinking of http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129750&start=15

Yes, that's it. Thanks. Post #13 on that thread by @Beeatnik. That's what got me wondering but I've been unable to confirm.

roadhog44

by roadhog44

I believe the current Chorus calipers DO have more clearance than the current Record/S Records

My experience -
1. I have the Red badged Record calipers from 2015 and have just bought the latest Chorus calipers for additional clearance on my 65.1 for extra clearance on the front (rear was OK)
2. The Potenza calipers also have more the same additional clearance to the latest Chorus calipers - I've bought these for my Helium SL as needed extra clearance on the back
3.The extra clearance is approx 3-4mm height!
4. I also found the my 2015 Records were too low when opened up for my Bora Ones (wide outer of 24mm) basically, the extra width required meant the arms were lower in height on the centre of the caliper and subsequently to low!
5. On the rear the old Single pivot Record caliper allowed an extra 1-2mm height clearance but nothing like the later Chorus calipers. Besides I wanted dual pivot F&R

I don't believe the latest Record/S Record calipers have been updated for the extra clearance. Someone please let me know if I'm wrong, as its a slight irritaion that I've had to 'downgrade' my Record Groupset to run 25mm and wider wheels!

Hope this helps

PS - Agree with previous poster, the bearing Records have a smoother snappier feel at the lever...maybe marginal if set up well though!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks @roadhog44: You are definitely not wrong about the latest Super Record/Record calipers being the same as they have been for some time as I work with these all the time. I know I should have more experience with Chorus, but I just haven't had much lately... and that's why I'm asking. 3-4mm extra clearance over the SR/Record stuff would be more than what I need, but even Campy NA told me yesterday that they are the same. And yes, I know the single pivots have more height dead smack in the middle, but it's not relevant with the wider tires as they have less clearance on the sides as the arms come in. And like you, I prefer dual pivot front and rear. I guess I might just have to order a new set of calipers in and see for myself.

@sleepless: Your pic is great, but without a similar pic of the SR caliper on the exact same setup, I can't tell anything from it on a comparative basis. Even then, the clearance difference, if it does exist, may be very small but a small amount is all I really need. If there truly is 3-4mm difference as @roadhog44 is suggesting, then I need to pick up a set.

roadhog44

by roadhog44

Heres the 2017 Chorus on my 65.1 (Bit blurred!) Worth noting that these Bora ones are also fitted with the widest 25mm tyres - Vittoria Corsa Graphenes, so basically, worst case scenario. The later Chorus brakes have a more pronounced arch so less narrowing in the middle that reduces clearance. To provide a comparison about additional height, my 2015 Record calipers, with my preferred caliper cable set up, touched the tyre in this case!
You'll notice the later brakes have more pronounced smoother scalloping out around the R/H pivot bolt. This realisation now means I can now fit Crudracers and 25mm tyres on my Caad9 for winter too! :beerchug: I wonder how many Campag brake clearance issues are blamed on brake bridge/fork issues, when actually...they could be solved with Chorus or Potenza calipers!

Note - Chorus calipers come with the same Record pad retention clip on the holder and the Potenza now has a Shimano style screw, and subsequently different pads like Shimano fitment now.
Attachments
20170628_205423.jpg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks @roadhog44... so you're saying that the Record calipers, adjusted the same, on that bike, with those wheels and tires, actually would touch the top of the tire? And with the Chorus brakes you have what looks like a good 2mm of daylight between the top of the tire and the caliper arm. If so, that's exactly about what I am looking for. I'm still thinking the only way I'm going to know for sure now, given what you say is to order a set. Because both the distributor and Campy NA are saying there's no difference. But there's at least some evidence here, especially yours, that says there is. Hmmm....

roadhog44

by roadhog44

[quote="Calnago"]Thanks @roadhog44... so you're saying that the Record calipers, adjusted the same, on that bike, with those wheels and tires, actually would touch the top of the tire? And with the Chorus brakes you have what looks like a good 2mm of daylight between the top of the tire and the caliper arm"

Yes -100% I've easily got another 3mm extra height clearance now with the Chorus calipers, plus better general clearance around the outer width of the entire tyre too! There is a definite difference in the look of the later calipers too. These early ones http://www.wigglestatic.com/images/campag-cpb910-11-zoom.jpg are completely different around the R/H pivot bolt!

Also, the later ones have a screw in brake adjuster as opposed to the old one the was dependant on the adjusting nut for movement.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Calnago, I don't have a frame to mount SR calipers right now but I can swap Chorus with SR and snap another picture on the same frame with same wheels and then measure both if you still need it.

silvalis

by silvalis

RyanH wrote:On an interesting sidenote, the weight difference between Record and Skeleton (their cheapest non-label offering) is a scant 4g when you remove the brake shoes. Braking feel is different though.

what is the difference in brake feel?
I've got athena skellys with bxps right now and want a sr/record/chorus to match the rest of my groupset.
Chasse patate

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sleepless wrote:Calnago, I don't have a frame to mount SR calipers right now but I can swap Chorus with SR and snap another picture on the same frame with same wheels and then measure both if you still need it.

Thanks @Sleepless, but at this point the only way I am going to satisfy myself is to compare the two in my own scenario. A set of new Chorus calipers is on its way. I will report back with two pics of same bike, same tire and wheel, same exact adjustment, same camera angle. One showing Chorus. One showing Super Record. Maybe by the weekend if they get here by then. Certainly by early next week at the latest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com