Campy Chorus Brake Calipers Clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FELIPESANTANA

by FELIPESANTANA

roadhog44 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:39 pm
I believe the current Chorus calipers DO have more clearance than the current Record/S Records

My experience -
1. I have the Red badged Record calipers from 2015 and have just bought the latest Chorus calipers for additional clearance on my 65.1 for extra clearance on the front (rear was OK)
2. The Potenza calipers also have more the same additional clearance to the latest Chorus calipers - I've bought these for my Helium SL as needed extra clearance on the back
3.The extra clearance is approx 3-4mm height!
4. I also found the my 2015 Records were too low when opened up for my Bora Ones (wide outer of 24mm) basically, the extra width required meant the arms were lower in height on the centre of the caliper and subsequently to low!
5. On the rear the old Single pivot Record caliper allowed an extra 1-2mm height clearance but nothing like the later Chorus calipers. Besides I wanted dual pivot F&R

I don't believe the latest Record/S Record calipers have been updated for the extra clearance. Someone please let me know if I'm wrong, as its a slight irritaion that I've had to 'downgrade' my Record Groupset to run 25mm and wider wheels!

Hope this helps

PS - Agree with previous poster, the bearing Records have a smoother snappier feel at the lever...maybe marginal if set up well though!

I do not know how to use this forum, so I'm sorry if I answered the wrong place.

I have a couple of old SR brakes and I'm having trouble with the front brake. I am using a specialized roval CLX 32 kidney and this one is very wide.
so I understood, if I use campy chorus 2015 + or potenza up front would solve my problem? Are these calipers wider than my old SRs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FELIPESANTANA

by FELIPESANTANA

roadhog44 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:39 pm
I believe the current Chorus calipers DO have more clearance than the current Record/S Records

My experience -
1. I have the Red badged Record calipers from 2015 and have just bought the latest Chorus calipers for additional clearance on my 65.1 for extra clearance on the front (rear was OK)
2. The Potenza calipers also have more the same additional clearance to the latest Chorus calipers - I've bought these for my Helium SL as needed extra clearance on the back
3.The extra clearance is approx 3-4mm height!
4. I also found the my 2015 Records were too low when opened up for my Bora Ones (wide outer of 24mm) basically, the extra width required meant the arms were lower in height on the centre of the caliper and subsequently to low!
5. On the rear the old Single pivot Record caliper allowed an extra 1-2mm height clearance but nothing like the later Chorus calipers. Besides I wanted dual pivot F&R

I don't believe the latest Record/S Record calipers have been updated for the extra clearance. Someone please let me know if I'm wrong, as its a slight irritaion that I've had to 'downgrade' my Record Groupset to run 25mm and wider wheels!

Hope this helps

PS - Agree with previous poster, the bearing Records have a smoother snappier feel at the lever...maybe marginal if set up well though!
@roadhog44

I do not know how to use this forum, so I'm sorry if I answered the wrong place.

I have a couple of old SR brakes and I'm having trouble with the front brake. I am using a specialized roval CLX 32 kidney and this one is very wide.
so I understood, if I use campy chorus 2015 + or potenza up front would solve my problem? Are these calipers wider than my old SRs?

robertbb

by robertbb

1. Yes, Chorus/Potenza skeleton brakes give more clearance.
2. The Chorus brake uses the campy style pad shoe (with the clip), the Potenza brake uses the shimano style pad shoe (with the bolt)
3. If you have Record or Super Record (or Centaur, Athena.....) there is a non-series version of the Potenza brake that gives the same wider clearance and has a simple "Campagnolo" logo with no groupset name and matches the other groups better (if mixing marques bothers you). It is slightly cheaper too, and like the Potenza one it uses the shimano style shoes. Wiggle's got them on sale currently.
4. Don't bother trying to swap shoes between the two - it won't work. The Shimano shoes are thinner, and the brake arms on the Potenza and Non-Series are thicker.
5. Overall, because of the thicker brake arms, the Potenza and Non-Series brakes are the stiffest standard mount skeleton brakes Campy ever made, and certainy stiffer than Chorus/R/SR brakes which have thinner brake arms (this is my personal finding)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Chorus will give between 1 and 2 mm more clearance at the top over Record and Super Record calipers. But if you need more width for a wide brake track, that’s a double edged sword, because as the calipers release, and the pads move further away from the rim, the tops of the caliper arms come down, reducing the clearance at the top.
Shimano’s new brakes’ clearance around the tire remains constant regardless of how wide you have the pads set.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FELIPESANTANA

by FELIPESANTANA

robertbb wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:52 pm
1. Yes, Chorus/Potenza skeleton brakes give more clearance.
2. The Chorus brake uses the campy style pad shoe (with the clip), the Potenza brake uses the shimano style pad shoe (with the bolt)
3. If you have Record or Super Record (or Centaur, Athena.....) there is a non-series version of the Potenza brake that gives the same wider clearance and has a simple "Campagnolo" logo with no groupset name and matches the other groups better (if mixing marques bothers you). It is slightly cheaper too, and like the Potenza one it uses the shimano style shoes. Wiggle's got them on sale currently.
4. Don't bother trying to swap shoes between the two - it won't work. The Shimano shoes are thinner, and the brake arms on the Potenza and Non-Series are thicker.
5. Overall, because of the thicker brake arms, the Potenza and Non-Series brakes are the stiffest standard mount skeleton brakes Campy ever made, and certainy stiffer than Chorus/R/SR brakes which have thinner brake arms (this is my personal finding)

Thanks for the answer.
at first my problem is only with the front wheel. The fork gives me clearance but the brake does not. I have problems with width and height, but I think the potenza will work.

did not know of the non-series version of the sharpness.

thank you very much