Sealant/Wax for matte finish?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thumper88

by thumper88

I will ditto youngs modulus.
Ive had four or five bikes in matte and can't imagine any need for waxing or sealing... seems not just a neutral thing to do, either than effort and expense, but potentially a bad one in some ways.
The only thing in cycling that doesn't appear to be properly UV protected is Zipp wheels. I've had two sets noticeably yellow on me. Terrific wheels in every other way, but that was annoying.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Meyercord

by Meyercord

I use CG JS109.

TonyM

by TonyM

I use "Dr. Wack F100 Matt" on my matt Scott Scale and Scott Spark.
Works very well ! :thumbup: Excellent protection!!

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=87791

Jere

by Jere

gceniza wrote:Does anyone here have any recommendations for sealing/protecting the matte finish on a bike frame? I am getting a new matte BoB frame this week. I detail my cars as my other hobby ... On my other gloss painted bikes, I protect the paint using a german acrylic sealant once or twice a year ... Klasse (lasts a long, long time) and then layer over the top with P21s after I wash them. I have never owned or worked on matte paint neither on cars nor bikes. Thanks.

Hi
I have just used Isopropyl Alcohol 90 cents for 32 OZ
Jere B

AJS914

by AJS914

How is alcohol going to protect the paint?

fogman

by fogman

I use Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte on my F10 BoB frame. Very pleased with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Jere

by Jere

AJS914 wrote:How is alcohol going to protect the paint?

Hi

I maybe wrong but look at the stuff for made for Matt surfaces the main ingredients is Alcohol.
Seal already sealed paint or anodized surface ? I got my Mat bikes so I would not have to wax, polish just clean.
JB

eric01

by eric01

Lemon pledge furniture polish for me. Easy and cheap
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

AJS914

by AJS914

Jere wrote:I maybe wrong but look at the stuff for made for Matt surfaces the main ingredients is Alcohol.
Seal already sealed paint or anodized surface ? I got my Mat bikes so I would not have to wax, polish just clean.
JB

They may use alcohol as a delivery agent but after the alcohol evaporates, it's going to leave whatever protectant is in the product. Using plain alcohol just seems a bit harsh as a cleaner to me.

Bike frames done sit out in the sun much of the day like cars so they don't need as much wax or protectant. I use meguiars quick detailer which cleans and protects all in one wipe. It works great on my matte Colnago C59 and is pretty inexpensive.

Delorre

by Delorre

thumper88 wrote:The only thing in cycling that doesn't appear to be properly UV protected is Zipp wheels. I've had two sets noticeably yellow on me. Terrific wheels in every other way, but that was annoying.
And Bora wheels :evil: Looks brown after 2 years, otherwise, terrific wheels also!! Sorry for the OT but couldn't resist.

aaric

by aaric

303 has worked well for me. Keeps the fingerprints down a bit too. My wife’s Scott is a light grey matte that is a real pain with grease / dirt spots: the 303 seems to keep the grease at bay.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Google "S100 motorcycle spray" for what is considered one of the finest products for this type of job.

For me, on both my black motorcycle, and my matte-black Project One... Lemon Pledge, as Oreoborio mentioned.

There is nothing "lemon" in Pledge. It's just a silicone and wax mix in a spray-can. Cheap. Works great. Easy to apply. I end up using it to wipe down the sweat and water marks. I'm not one of those "clean it after every ride" guys.