Need some help with disc standards... also any experiences with the Focus Paralane?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm on the fence to buy the Focus Paralane for this winter. Do you guys have any experience with it?

Also I know nothing about disc brakes given I tried to avoid this in the past. I'd like to know how future proof are the disc standards they used designing this bike... The reviews say that it has flat mount shimano disc brakes with 160mm rotors. 12mm thru-axles front (100mm) and rear (142mm) with their proprietary release system.

Is it possible to later find wheels that work with this standard? Is there anything better / new out there I should wait for? I know that the new ultegra groupset is just around the corner, should I wait for that regarding the new disc brakes / levers?

ab01ns

by ab01ns

The rat system is just the thru axle's way of attaching to the fork. The bike takes any 12x100 and 12x142 wheels.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

A flat mount disc frame should be quite future proof. Shimano is behind the flat mount standard for starters. And should flat mount calipers ever become non-existant you can use an adapter to mount a post mount caliper. The reverse scenario is impossible without some severe restrictions.

12x100 and 12x142 seem to be the way road disc is going. If you buy convertible hubs, it really is a moot point, though. A good disc hub can be converted between 9mm quick release, 12mm thru, and (for fronts) 15mm thru. I hesitate to say but I really can't see the industry trying to slip in some other 'standard' that would obsolete such a hub.

Broady

by Broady

Should be fine with that setup, seems to be the standard nowadays.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If you buy 15*100 wheels, you can use an inner adapter to use 12*100 through axle.
Which means you can run 15*100 MTB wheels (27.5/650B) and road wheelsets.

Personally, i think it's idiotic using two different standards of through axle and post/ flat mount.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jeffy

by jeffy

wheelsONfire wrote:If you buy 15*100 wheels, you can use an inner adapter to use 12*100 through axle.

have you got link to any generic 15->12 thru axle adapters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have not. I just talked to a guy in the industry that i thought his company should sell such. He then told me 3T had such adapters coming.

It's really not more complicated than the end caps which we can change for 135 or 142mm spacing (rear).

Edit: here you are
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-Road- ... 2122494769
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.