Look 785 Huez RS

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Beaver

by Beaver

I like it - but could it be the first new bike without 28mm tire clearance? :noidea:

Maybe these really are revised Cervelo frames. :D

sawyer

by sawyer

flying wrote:Step in the right direction Look well done.

Now take it all the way & make it come alive again like the days of old.
There are plenty of wooden riding Monobloc carbon design one mold frames out there regardless of weight

Give us something lively like you use to...something with character/feel... there are far too few of these types :thumbup:

+1. Definitely a move in the right direction

Now, remember our other Look thread:

- Take the 585 Ultra
- Add internal cabling
- Stiffen up the front end
- Ensure enough clearance for 28c tyres
- Work on the lay-up/resin to knock 100-150g off the weight - get it down to 850g frame

And you have a HUGE winner on your hands and a return to WW pantheon with Colnago and Time
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Looks great to me! Would love to make this my next bike, though I wonder about the crank. Very nice! I love the return to something more traditional. It probably comes in other colorways so I'm curious about that too. I'd mistake it for a Cervelo as others have noted were it not for the big LOOK on the downtube. :D Wonder if it has a Mondrian scheme but I do like this one too.

kgt

by kgt

A few more info from:
http://www.mbike.gr/look-785-huez-rs-review/

A project develloped under Look's new CEO, Federico Musi
7-85 for Hinault's 1985 win on l' Alpe d’ Huez
730gr frame, 280gr fork
Optimized inertia section (they claim to have studied "all" possible tube sections and found the optimal)
They use 260 carbon sheets for the frame (12T, 24T, 30T, 46T, 90T) and 90 for the fork

sawyer

by sawyer

kgt wrote:A few more info from:
http://www.mbike.gr/look-785-huez-rs-review/

A project develloped under Look's new CEO, Federico Musi
7-85 for Hinault's 1985 win on l' Alpe d’ Huez
730gr frame, 280gr fork
Optimized inertia section (they claim to have studied "all" possible tube sections and found the optimal)
They use 260 carbon sheets for the frame (12T, 24T, 30T, 46T, 90T) and 90 for the fork

Lol - they have studied all possible tube sections?

The bike might end up merely incidental to the philosophical breakthrough this hints at

If you add the 7, the 8 and 5, you get 20, which also is just one less than the number of hairpins on the legendary Alpe D'Huez itself

:wink:

flying

by flying

Beaver wrote:I like it - but could it be the first new bike without 28mm tire clearance? :noidea:

Maybe these really are revised Cervelo frames. :D

Those are great pics thanks :thumbup:

True that about the tire clearance...To ignore a major trend in what buyers look for is probably not a great idea

On the Look vs Cervelo
I know Cervelo has changed hands so maybe different now

But between my Look KG381 & 585 I did own 2 Cervelo R2.5
both went back on warranty issues. One had a cocked rear dropout
the other the BB shell tore itself out on a climb

But the major difference I noted was quality control.
Inside the Cervelo frame was a real mess ... unfinished clumps of resin & rough carbon layup etc.

The Look was the opposite
Clean & finished inside as well as the outside

stockae92

by stockae92

That looks pretty awesome, glad they are making new more "traditional" bike :)

53x12

by 53x12

sawyer wrote:
flying wrote:Step in the right direction Look well done.

Now take it all the way & make it come alive again like the days of old.
There are plenty of wooden riding Monobloc carbon design one mold frames out there regardless of weight

Give us something lively like you use to...something with character/feel... there are far too few of these types :thumbup:

+1. Definitely a move in the right direction

Now, remember our other Look thread:

- Take the 585 Ultra
- Add internal cabling
- Stiffen up the front end
- Ensure enough clearance for 28c tyres
- Work on the lay-up/resin to knock 100-150g off the weight - get it down to 850g frame

And you have a HUGE winner on your hands and a return to WW pantheon with Colnago and Time

Agreed. This is definitely a move in the right direction for Look over the 695 and 795. For a monocoque frame, this looks like a very good execution for Look compared to what they have done.

I am still doubtful it will ever happen, but still hope that one day they will bring back lugged carbon frames as we talked about in the Look thread. Definitely a market there for that.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Beaver

by Beaver

Last edited by Beaver on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

53x12

by 53x12

Beaver wrote:

I'll have to say, that paint scheme looks sharp on the 785 Huez RS. I like that.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Calnago

by Calnago

To my eyes at least, it's interesting how the more manufacturers experiment with weird tube shapes and new designs, the more appealing the traditional frame designs and tried and true technologies become. Every now and then something new comes along that really is great and takes hold, but by and large there are a lot of grasping at straws attempts to create something "new" strictly for the sake of creating something new.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sawyer

by sawyer

53x12 wrote:
Beaver wrote:

I'll have to say, that paint scheme looks sharp on the 785 Huez RS. I like that.

Yes, it looks really nice

WTF with the low end Conti Ultrasport tyres? I note one of the builds is on Force and Attack - fine. Perhaps they ran out. Wouldn't do a press launch with garden hoses on if it was my company

It's all in the details ...

Have to say the new DA crank looks superb also

c60rider

by c60rider

Do we know where it's manufactured? I know on the other Look thread there were questions about France Look made quality but I was delighted with it and hope this frame is French made. But nearly every monocoque is from the Far East and I have to guess this is? Also wish they would have gone screw thread bottom bracket on it or done something similar to Colnago with their threadfit.

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

smartyiak wrote:Impossible! It looks like a normal bicycle! I like it.

+1

by Weenie

kgt

by kgt

c60rider wrote:Do we know where it's manufactured? I know on the other Look thread there were questions about France Look made quality but I was delighted with it and hope this frame is French made.

Definitely not made in France. That was the case looong ago. I don't think it is made in Tunisia either. Made in Taiwan maybe?