2016 Scott foil Crank Based Power meter Options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BayAreaCycling

by BayAreaCycling

Hi all,
Does any one have experience with crank based power meters and the 2016 Scott Foil. I have a 2016 Scott Foil and I want to get a crank based power meter for it. I do not want pedals(speedplay FTW), and I dont like the restriction that a rear hub has. As you may know the rear brake causes interference which make stages not an option. Also I attempted to install the FSA Power box but the bike would not take the 386 evo BB as the cable guide caused interference with the spindle. I have the bb72-41 and it seems as that is the only bb that fits.

what options are out there?
will the new Shimano fc-R9100-P work?
what PM is on your Scott Foil?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Power2Max Type S Rotor 3D would work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ab01ns

by ab01ns

dudemanppl wrote:Power2Max Type S Rotor 3D would work?

Yes that's one option. I would go for the new Easton ec90sl crank +cinch power meterImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I would not recommend the new Easton EC90SL. Its single sided and you need to use shitty 4130 bearings.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Beautiful bike. Worth saying again! And again.

How long have you been running the "suspect" 4130 bearings? I've read the same negative, but it appears you're an actual user...

havana

by havana

Power2Max, Rotor Inpower, 4iii, Pioneer, SRM (€€€€) or Quarq.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

grover

by grover

Shimano based Pioneer or SRM would go straight into your current bottom bracket.

A GXP press fit bottom bracket would fit into your frame and take a Quarq nicely.

They'd be the most native options I believe.

Avoid anything that has a pod hanging off the non-drive arm.
Avoid anything with a 30mm spindle.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

BayAreaCycling wrote:
will the new Shimano fc-R9100-P work?

FC-9100-P will work with direct mount brakes.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

ab01ns

by ab01ns

Johnny Rad wrote:Beautiful bike. Worth saying again! And again.

How long have you been running the "suspect" 4130 bearings? I've read the same negative, but it appears you're an actual user...

I haven't put a ton of km on the bike but I'm running a kogel ceramic bb. It's buttery smooth and with the cross seals I expect it to stay that way. Also the 2 year warranty helps alleviate any fears of the 4130 bearing

Also, this is ww after all. While it's only single leg power, the crankset weighs less with power than a bone stock fc-9000

20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

Delorre

by Delorre

ab01ns wrote:
Johnny Rad wrote:Beautiful bike. Worth saying again! And again.

I haven't put a ton of km on the bike but I'm running a kogel ceramic bb. It's buttery smooth and with the cross seals I expect it to stay that way. Also the 2 year warranty helps alleviate any fears of the 4130 bearing

Also, this is ww after all. While it's only single leg power, the crankset weighs less with power than a bone stock fc-9000

Have you a real weight of yours? Because, if I do the math's, 590 (ec90sl) + 65 (extra weight for Cinch) is more than a stock 9000 crankset, weighting a verified 630gr. But on par with a DA + Stages, and maybe more reliable. I haven't had any issues in almost 20.000 with mine (2th gen), and used in winter also, but there are lots of horror stories over here as well.

bikergrove

by bikergrove

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I have a 2017 Scott Foil 10. Realised my 105 brake caliper was going to be incompatible with my stages ultegra crank pretty quickly, so I purchased a TRP 851 rear brake.

Does anyone know if the TRP 851 is supposed to come with a washer? When I screw the brake unit into the frame the screws won't go in the whole way ( unlike my 105 brake) so the brake is a touch wobbly.

Has anyone tried this combo before / got a recommendation?

hannawald

by hannawald

Is anybody using 4iii powermeter with Scott Foil? According to my measurements (4iii guide using AAA battery) it should not fit as it is too thick and there is not enough clearance between crank and chainstay.. am I right? I would like to use 4iii as it may be better with oval rings than Stages...Many thanks!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

hannawald wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:13 am
Is anybody using 4iii powermeter with Scott Foil? According to my measurements (4iii guide using AAA battery) it should not fit as it is too thick and there is not enough clearance between crank and chainstay.. am I right? I would like to use 4iii as it may be better with oval rings than Stages...Many thanks!
I believe the Podiiiium is lower profile that the old Precision model. There shouldn’t be very many frames that are incompatible.

hannawald

by hannawald

I think Podiiiium is only dual sided, isn´t it? It was just announced in Autumn with Q1 2018 confirming actual availibilty..if there is single sided version, it is probably worth waiting for it..

My suspision is that AAA battery test is too tough and you may be able to use 4iii even though you don´t pass AAA battery test..(it is about 1cm thick, 4iii should be about 8mm so there may be clearance for 4iii even though there is no clearance for AAA battery...)

stjepan

by stjepan

hannawald wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:55 am
I think Podiiiium is only dual sided, isn´t it? It was just announced in Autumn with Q1 2018 confirming actual availibilty..if there is single sided version, it is probably worth waiting for it..

My suspision is that AAA battery test is too tough and you may be able to use 4iii even though you don´t pass AAA battery test..(it is about 1cm thick, 4iii should be about 8mm so there may be clearance for 4iii even though there is no clearance for AAA battery...)
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a similar problem. Scott Foil 30 2021 and the test with AAA battery is right there on the edge for the frame clearance with 4iii Ultegra left crank. Can anybody confirm compatibility?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com