Why is no one using disc brakes in the tour?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fogman

by fogman

..........because no pros in the tour are using carbon clinchers during alpine descents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

stormur

by stormur

and because every single "road disc bike" has highly annoying rattling brake hose in the frame. No exceptions.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

stormur wrote:and because every single "road disc bike" has highly annoying rattling brake hose in the frame. No exceptions.

Except mine. :roll:

Carry on.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

ergott wrote:
stormur wrote:and because every single "road disc bike" has highly annoying rattling brake hose in the frame. No exceptions.

Except mine. :roll:
Carry on.

Or mine ....

Broady

by Broady

Yeah, my hoses are silent too...

stormur

by stormur

There's no on the market internal routing which prevents noisy rear brake housing. It simply doesn't exist, so yes you do have chattering, regardless you admit that or not. Other option is your roads are extremely good and/or tires very wide& soft .

If I'm wrong; show me silent road disc brake bike with internal housing routing ( front and rear brakes ).

PS I skip "diy" like filling frame by foam from obvious reasons...
Mark Twain

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Aren't you kind of setting yourself up for failure here? I mean, your assertion is false as soon as anyone finds just one disc-braked road bike with a hydraulic hose that doesn't rattle. Or even one that does rattle, but not in a highly annoying way.

Ambrose Bierce once wrote that to be positive "is to be mistaken at the top of one's voice."

stormur

by stormur

Anyone ? Who in particular ? Show non rattling bike ... Maybe we start from yours ? Words are cheap, isn't it ? :mrgreen:

There's 2 designs of internal routing only; BOTH cause rattling. ONE of them can be silenced by filling tubes with foam ( unacceptable ). Conclusion : ALL bikes with internal housing routing rattle on less than perfect surface and road tires 28mm and smaller . If that don't annoy owner ; lucky guy/ girl . But it absolutely doesn't mean that bike is "noiseless". It's not. Simply can't be.

People have different standards, maybe according to yours it doesn't, according to mine it does.
Mark Twain

MichaelB

by MichaelB

@ stormur - when on rough roads to get rattling, there is noise from the RS685 levers (early version) or chain slap, but none that I can detect from the internally routed hyd hose (Voalgi Liscio 56cm). :noidea:

I run 25C tyres at 85 - 90psi.

Maybe I'm missing something, but can't detect hyd hoses rattling. You are welcome to come to Adelaide to prove me wrong 8)

AJS914

by AJS914

No rattling on my specialized Crux.

MoPho

by MoPho

Mine doesn't rattle either. If I was to push the hose into the frame so it slack it will rattle some, but there is no reason to do that. Not sure what you're trying to prove, I've had and seen rim brake bikes with internal routing that rattle too.

The R785 levers do rattle over chip seal if your hands are not in the hoods (it never did it until the bike got knocked over one day) because their is no spring tension on them with hydro and Di2, and that is really annoying. There is a hack fix for it, though I have not tried it yet

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, Stormur... rattling of internally routed full cable housing, whether it's hydraulic lines or cables housing, really has nothing to do with the discussion, except with discs perhaps maybe you'd see more hydraulic lines being internally routed than cables, which more more often than not use stops. I just rebuilt a Pinarello 65.2 (or something) Dogma. Regular brakes but full cable housing routed through the top tupe. Owner complained of constant rattling as the housing bounced around inside. He had some electrical tape at the entry points to help stop it from getting slack inside. Of course those rattles are annoying. But in that case, I got some rubber O-rings and crazyglued them to the outer housing where it entered and exited the top tube and they acted like perfect cable stops and looked very neat, so you couldn't even tell they were there unless you looked hard. But rattle gone.
C59's have a full internal routing of the cable housing through the top tube, non disc, but there is also an internal guide that the whole thing just follows from beginning to end, and thus... not a hint of a rattle. But that issue certainly isn't a function of whether the bike has disc brakes or not.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

chpfly

by chpfly

No rattle here with new DA on a new Orbea Orca. Never going back to rim brakes.
Attachments
Orbea Orca Di2 9170.jpeg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Stormur makes a good point but it seems there are enough exceptions that I doubt the industry will do anything about this. Fact is once you start putting stuff inside bike tubes you are increasing the likelihood of annoying hard to fix rattles.

My mechanical disc Boone is rattle free but that is only because the Yokozuna brake housing is so stiff that the bends in the routing literally leaved it wedged against the sides of the various tubes it passes through. Hydraulic with more pliable hoses might be different story.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

lobuxracer

by lobuxracer

DOUG wrote::lol: I'll make sure to run my purchasing decisions past "the Europeans" before buying anything then. Oh wait I already ride a road bike with discs! Hopefully the superior braking in the dry and much better performance in the wet will make up for my lack of experience :roll:

You guys crack me up.

Just curious how you define superior. I've raced bicycles, motorcycles, and cars. Superior means many different things in each of these formats. I'm wondering what you mean by "superior" braking.

Before you say something foolish, you might want to read something by a brake engineer http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/pulpfriction/pfpage1.htmlwhose credentials include http://www.teamscr.com/about-james-walk ... r-jr~.html vehicle stability systems for OEMs.

Suffice it to say, regardless of your religion, the tire determines your braking performance regardless of how you choose to extract heat from forward motion.
lance - no, not that guy, I started racing in 1976.
1980 A-D Ultima
1999 Softride TT
2013 Cervelo S5 Team LE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com