New bike need help GAN S 2017 or F8 used frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

antonio07

by antonio07

I'm deciding in between a GAN S brand new or a F8 used frame.
Some people tell me the difference between the two is only the carbon.
So I ask how much of a difference is this ?? only carbon difference ?

thanks

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

The frame shape itself is also different...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CEVelo

by CEVelo

And geometry differ slightly. If the F8 is in good condition and right size, that would be my pick.
Lighter, stiffer, fantastic ride quality etc.

antonio07

by antonio07

Thanks guys for answers !!

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Had pretty much the same dilemma, and rode both. There are no REAL world differences in the frames that 99% of the population would notice, but psychologically if you buy the Gan you'll always have the nagging doubt that "maybe the Dogma would be more (inset variable here)"
So all else being equal, (size, good condition), colour scheme, Id go with the Dogma. And I did.

antonio07

by antonio07

Leviathan wrote:Had pretty much the same dilemma, and rode both. There are no REAL world differences in the frames that 99% of the population would notice, but psychologically if you buy the Gan you'll always have the nagging doubt that "maybe the Dogma would be more (inset variable here)"
So all else being equal, (size, good condition), colour scheme, Id go with the Dogma. And I did.

Some people told me that the carbon used in the Dogma makes it lighter, stiffer, but more fragile, too thin.
What is your opinion ??
And the truth is that a F8 Dogma frame build is more expensive than the GAN S at least 30% more, you still think it is worth it ??

thank a lot !!

c60rider

by c60rider

In the past 18 months I was all for buying a Dogma but held off waiting to see where disc brakes were going (ended up happy buying rim brakes) but also started getting nervous with the number that team sky seemed to break during a crash. The last one was Tour of Britain last year think it was Viviani crashed amongst a few others and sure enough his frame broke in two. They just seemed to break a lot and that was enough to put me off.

antonio07

by antonio07

c60rider wrote:In the past 18 months I was all for buying a Dogma but held off waiting to see where disc brakes were going (ended up happy buying rim brakes) but also started getting nervous with the number that team sky seemed to break during a crash. The last one was Tour of Britain last year think it was Viviani crashed amongst a few others and sure enough his frame broke in two. They just seemed to break a lot and that was enough to put me off.

What did you buy instead ?? Do you think maybe the GAN S with T700 carbon is maybe heavier but stronger ??

bilwit

by bilwit

c60rider wrote:In the past 18 months I was all for buying a Dogma but held off waiting to see where disc brakes were going (ended up happy buying rim brakes) but also started getting nervous with the number that team sky seemed to break during a crash. The last one was Tour of Britain last year think it was Viviani crashed amongst a few others and sure enough his frame broke in two. They just seemed to break a lot and that was enough to put me off.

Yeah, every time Froome falls off his Dogma, either the top tube or seatstays completely snap in half (Ventoux in 2016, recent training car incident, etc). It's pretty uncanny, but I'm sure there's plenty of F8/F10 users on here that would vouche for it. All the Sunday warriors seem to be riding one up here recently too (but maybe they're just assured by having that much disposable income :mrgreen: )

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Im very much in the Sunday warrior crowd (only do about 5000kms a year, dont race any more) and just bought it cos I loved it when I rented it, and the price was great. The f8 is certainyl more bike than I "need".
Having said that, the plusses are my 95kgs frame couldn't get any sense of flex from the Dogma, and the tt is really pretty rigid. Cant speak to what happens when froome read-ends something solid ad 50kms plus, but Id have no qualms about its strength, and wouldn't buy the GAN just cos its stronger. If anything its "deader", more wooden, less snap on out of saddle climbs. I did the Mallorca 242 in 9 hrs (and a bit!) on the Dogma and found it a really pleasant all-round bike. Closed road descents off a big hill (1000m) told me the limiting factor would always be me, not it.
But the 30% price difference...frankly if I was a rational, adult human being Id take the GAN as its a really great bike. But Im not, Im like a child in a candy store and so in your shoes buy the more expensive frame and eat bread and water for a year.

antonio07

by antonio07

Leviathan wrote:Im very much in the Sunday warrior crowd (only do about 5000kms a year, dont race any more) and just bought it cos I loved it when I rented it, and the price was great. The f8 is certainyl more bike than I "need".
Having said that, the plusses are my 95kgs frame couldn't get any sense of flex from the Dogma, and the tt is really pretty rigid. Cant speak to what happens when froome read-ends something solid ad 50kms plus, but Id have no qualms about its strength, and wouldn't buy the GAN just cos its stronger. If anything its "deader", more wooden, less snap on out of saddle climbs. I did the Mallorca 242 in 9 hrs (and a bit!) on the Dogma and found it a really pleasant all-round bike. Closed road descents off a big hill (1000m) told me the limiting factor would always be me, not it.
But the 30% price difference...frankly if I was a rational, adult human being Id take the GAN as its a really great bike. But Im not, Im like a child in a candy store and so in your shoes buy the more expensive frame and eat bread and water for a year.

lolololololol thankss alot !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rogma84

by Rogma84

Take the gan rs ;) Here is my Girlfriends Bike .
In you believe in bullshit marketing take the Dogma

ImageDSC_8879 by Roman, auf Flickr
ImageDSC_8895 by Roman, auf Flickr
ImageDSC_8891 by Roman, auf Flickr
ImageDSC_8883 by Roman, auf Flickr
ImageDSC_8880 by Roman, auf Flickr
ImageDSC_8881 by Roman, auf Flickr

antonio07

by antonio07

veryyyy nice , congrats !!!!

RyanH

by RyanH

That is superb

antonio07

by antonio07

RyanH wrote:That is superb

RyanH,

I have seen that you have a big knowledge in everything cycling.
I'm comparing a GAN S 2017 and F8
It has a small difference in geometry and on the carbon quality stiffness ??
Do you have a opinion on this ? What is really noticeable for a amateur enthusiast with a little competitions ??

This brand is good for because they have the size 55 frame. 1,78m 85.5 inseam

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com