Handlebar, Stem and Seatpost Brand should match?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kevinch76

by Kevinch76

This came up as a topic in our ride today, plenty of different answers...some say YAY and some say NAH!....what are your thoughts?

Should your roadie have the same brand for handles, stem and posts OR handles and stems same brand (so-called cockpit) but seatposts ok to be different?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shamrock134

by shamrock134

I've ordered a new bike and I was originally going to have Fizik bars, stem, seatpost and saddle. Nice and all matching. Unfortunately, I really want 36cm c-c bars so I have to switch the bars to Zipp.

Ultimately it doesn't matter but I think it will bother me slightly every time I look at the front and see the Fizik stem face and the Zipp bars. :oops:

I guess I could get a Zipp stem but I've ruled that out because I want -20deg and I've got the Fizik barfly garmin mount that attaches to the stem bolts.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

ideally it has no visible branding, and thus regardless of the brand the appearance (color, finish, shape, styling, etc) should be similar

NiFTY

by NiFTY

gewichtweenie wrote:ideally it has no visible branding, and thus regardless of the brand the appearance (color, finish, shape, styling, etc) should be similar

Agreed. Debranding everything that is easily the best aesthetic choice. I can't stand bikes that look like they are held together by stickers.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

c60rider

by c60rider

Bars and stem I definitely think should match from the same manufacturer and the style should also suit the frame. Aero frame probably needs more aggressive looking aero shaped stem and bars such as the deda superzeros. Some frames come with dedicated seatposts so you're stuck with them. I don't think it matters too much about the seatpost matching bars/stem but it should either match the bars and stem or match the frame manufacturer. Or be debranded.

trimenc

by trimenc

I always subscribe to the ideology that you use what you like and what works for you.

AJS914

by AJS914

3t bars, Deda stem, and Colnago seatpost - they match aesthetically.

I grew up in the age when the seatpost matched the groupset so triple matching just rubs me as too OCD.

by 11.4

Why would we want these three items to match when they don't match other components on the bike? Is it because that's how a pro's bike would look, where he's typically sponsored by that manufacturer? But wait! Pros swap stems and bars and posts around all the time to meet their personal needs and their mechanics don't think twice about it. So do we actually have the slightest reason to adhere to a rule that originated in the dark days when most components were Campy anyway and that hasn't been maintained by the pros everyone is trying to emulate? I call BS. If your fit or riding comfort make you entirely indifferent, you can use the same manufacturer and what labels are visible will match and the tone of the anodizing will match. But if you have the slightest need to go to another manufacturer for the component you need, do the pro thing and do it.

kgt

by kgt

11.4 wrote:Why would we want these three items to match when they don't match other components on the bike? Is it because that's how a pro's bike would look, where he's typically sponsored by that manufacturer?

No. It's about something called aesthetics.
IMO Stem and bars should always match. It is better for the seatpost to match as well but not a must.
If course if all logos=decals are removed matching brands does not really matter.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

bars imo dont even matter because its all covered by wrap. seatpost and stem should roughly match... a curvy chunky zipp SL stem doesnt look like with a slim straight post.

the industrial looking , ribbed finish thomson elite stem doesnt go with a gently curving moots seatpost.

nothing goes with those ugly specialized gobllers zerts nonsense

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Kevinch76 wrote:This came up as a topic in our ride today, plenty of different answers...some say YAY and some say NAH!....what are your thoughts?

Should your roadie have the same brand for handles, stem and posts OR handles and stems same brand (so-called cockpit) but seatposts ok to be different?

I don't think it matters as for prio 1.
It should be the length of stem suits the reach of the chosen handlebar.
Also, pends on what features you look for in handlebar, stem and seatpost.
When a bike is owned / used for awhile, i think the bling ideal fades and what is relevant is the fit and feel.
I have over 20 stems and probably close to 10 handlebars and at this time, i couldn't care less for "brand matching".
For example, if you buy Syntace Hiflex P6 carbon seatpost, you probably do so because you can have it set up either saddle is stiff, or that it allows some flex in accordance to how you move your weight (back/forth).
If you use a flexible handlebar, you might want a stiff stem, or even a super stiff stem.
Also, you may need a -6, -8, -10, -12 or -17 stem.
What if handlebar brand doesn't produce a suiting stem?
Also when reach of handlebars are so different, you may end up wishing for half incremen stems (like 105,115mm aso)
If your ass don't care for the brand of a saddle, but purely how it feels, why should your hands be different?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Shrike

by Shrike

Used to care about this but couldn't give a toss anymore. These days any bike that I'd consider usually has a proprietary seatpost and aerobar :P

fa63

by fa63

Personally:

- Seatpost should match the frame, and the stem/bar match each other, or
- All three should match

:)

rlanger

by rlanger

In the end, I think it all just comes down to a matter of personal taste.

In my case, I simply prefer the look of a stem and bar that match (my own choice is the Deda Superzero stem and bar combo, which matches perfectly the aesthetic of my De Rosa Idol). However, I have don't have the Superzero seat post since I prefer the look of my FSA SL-K carbon seat post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Planned as first to match all three :), then since i have Colnago seatpost which is light and nice, i decied to try to match handlebar and stem.

But since most important thing for me is how it work for me :) at the end i finished all three different :) (Easton EC90SLX3 handlebar, Fizik Cyrano R1 Stem and Colnago Seatpost :) )