Bottom bracket 386 for Cipollini

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Planning to do a proper build thread on my Cipollini RB800 frame, but for the time being I need recommendations (and knowledge) about the best BB386 options out there. The BB is the one part I hadn't thought much about in the past, but as this is my first high-end build, from scratch, I'd like to give it more consideration--especially as it's a pretty integral piece. FWIW a LBS will be assembling the bike, so ideally I'm looking for a mix of quality and longevity since I don't want to be disassembling it very often.

1. What are the best press fit options that will NOT creak?
Anyone used this: http://wheelsmfg.com/386evo-zero-ceramic-bb-black.html

2. Is it worth it to get a BB with ceramic bearings? I've read that it's overkill and or needs to be serviced more frequently. Ceramic Speed sounds nice on paper but ideally I wouldn't like to spend that much. Though I'd consider it if it's truly longer-lasting/ slower to wear out, stronger, etc.

3. What provides best SEALED protection? Don't always ride in rain but live in New England so rain and dirt roads happen.

Will be running a Campagnolo crank--probably R or SR. Won't be racing but I put on a lot of miles in mountains and I'm 90kg and 193 cm, so more concerned with quality, longevity, and that it's sealed well (whether ceramic or steel) so as not to need service frequently.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fabriciom

by fabriciom

1. BBInfinite
2. NO
3. I don't ride in the rain, because of the pain in the arse of having to clean the bike.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Campagnolo SR and R cranks are Ultra-torque, they come with excellent Campy bearings attached, so your questions about BB's and bearings show some misunderstandings. You don't need to buy a BB with bearings.

The BB you linked to is nothing like you need for UT, and in fact there are not many options, BBinfinite may be the only one.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Thank you bikerjulio, alas I'm not mechanically savvy, so you're right there are some misunderstandings on my part. I hope to one day get there. But in the last 10+ years mostly just focused on riding. Only with my intent to get a new frame (more than 2 years ago now) have I become more interested in the inner mechanics too.

I know Campy has their own ultra torque bottom bracket, so I guess my question is also: is that the best option for the SR crank (or, eventually I hope, an SRM power meter)? I want to avoid creaking at all costs, and wonder about the best way, aside from loctite and a good installation. Durability and not needing to service the BB very frequently is also ideal.

I'll leave installation to the LBS and they do have an excellent reputation. I did not get my frame from them but I have full trust in them. This question will eventually be posed to them, but I just like to know what options are out there as opposed to being 'sold' on this or that option.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

IMG_6067.JPG

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Any creaking in this situation is going to be down to the insert and it's installation, not the Campy cranks. SR saves a little weight and uses ceramic bearings. It also costs a lot more, so whether it's worth it is up to you.

BBinfinite has a good reputation, I have no personal experience. The bore of the BB shell needs to be smooth and even diameter throughout. Is it?

Another alternative is to forget the idea of a Campy crank and use one of the available BB386Evo cranks, and a threaded together BB like the Wheels one you linked to.

To add to the confusion, because BB386Evo was invented by FSA, no other manufacturer uses the term. It's really just a long spindle BB30 crankset. Rotor and I think Sram make them. Campy used to with their "Overtorque" but they seem to have abandoned it and it's specific tooling.

One.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I forgot to mention the Campy solution, their own BB386 cups http://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-ultra-torque-bb386-bottom-bracket-cups/

They have the benefit of being relatively cheap, and if carefully and correctly installed should be fine.

One.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes. Use the Campy cups. The bearings fit in them perfectly, as intended. Not too tight. Not too loose. Just right. And they look good.
There are other 3rd party solutions as mentioned but none better in my opinion. The end result will be more a function of proper install than anything. Plus, the Campy cups are just very refined looking. Keep it simple and clean and in the family.
Last edited by Calnago on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Great! Thanks so much @bikerjulio and @Calnago. This will make it much easier I think and more ideal that it'll be Campy with Campy.

I will be starting a proper build thread soon, just trying to figure out how to post photos so they show up in the body and not as an 'attachment'. I downloaded Tapatalk and tried with the image above but still came through as a small attachment.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

This forum only allows images as links to the image at a web address, not as attachments or uploads.

So you need to copy the web address and paste as "IMG" in the post.

One.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

With Tapatalk, it's super easy to just insert a pic as you type... like this....
there's a little camera icon below as I'm typing this. I click it and my phone camera pops up...
I snap the photo (or choose one from your camera roll) and voila there it is.
Easy peasy.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

MiddMan wrote:...Will be running a Campagnolo crank--probably R or SR. Won't be racing but I put on a lot of miles in mountains and I'm 90kg and 193 cm, so more concerned with quality, longevity, and that it's sealed well (whether ceramic or steel) so as not to need service frequently.

Oh, I should add that if you go Super Record, even though the bearings are completely unsealed, they are pretty impervious to water etc. They are not your standard "hybrid" type ceramic bearings, with ceramic balls running against steel races. In the "CULT" bearings, the races themselves are specially treated, Campy calls it Cronitec I believe. I live in a wet winter climate but mild enough that riding all year round through the rain and whatever is common. A set of Chorus bearings will get about one winter season of use. They are sealed. A set of CULT bearings... well... I have yet to have to replace a set, ever. On mine, or anyone else's bike. So, even though the "spin factor" is quite impressive with the CULT bearings, it really is their durability and longevity that I've come to appreciate most. They are well worth it in my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com