Colnago, please explain the appeal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

canoas

by canoas

I should point out that geometry is unbelievably good. When you sit on a Colnago you never look back so comfortable. I've ridden my mates C60, great ride. I've ridden C50, C59, C60, V1-R they are machines that are very functional, light, balanced & reliable. Of course there are other great brands/bikes out there, I just find Colnago are consistent.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

spawn350

by spawn350

BRM wrote:
samuelcfadams1986 wrote:I would say that a hand made (created by Italian artisans) C60 shape and Lugged style is completely different to any other frame. Plus the C60 boasts some of the best bike reviews any road bike have ever received, along with a ride quality and brand heritage unrivalled by others. However in fairness every single review states that they didn't get the bike till they rode it. The chief editor of cyclist magazine could have any road bike he wanted but owns a C60 .....................

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor arguments
Bikereviews and you really believe them? Most reviews are incomplete and crap.
A chief editor owns a Colnago and that suppose to be something to set your belief on?
Did you do a thorough comparison of the bikes of multiple bikemag editors?

When the King decide to wear a pink cockring, should I follow?

On forums like here are people with money and midlife crises. (especially Americans that are victims of hyped marketing all the time)
They come with a story that they wants to bike again or want to buy a bike because they become 50 whatever.
They want the 'best' and ask others what to buy. They have a lack of soul and knowledge and they let others choose for them, they want to be cool and hip, desperataly looking for that penis enlargement and they see others mentioning Colnago, Colnago. (brand with a history, Italian, bit exotic and expensive) They are convinced because people repeat, buy a Colnago and promote it like others did with them.

(its not that I don't not like Colnago's but know how it works)

Jesus - stereotype much? You watched an episode of 90210 and now you are an expert on all things America?

Maybe you should try riding a Colnago instead of finding new ways to release your sexual angst.
My bike isn't fat...it is just big boned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Colnago does hyped marketing? They barely market at all in the US and dealers are hard to find. Despite that, their product remains desirable and sought after.

I've had a bunch of carbon bikes. My C59 has the best ride quality of any of them. I'll take ride quality over aero.

spawn350

by spawn350

Not that the OP asked for advice, and not to say the same thing that others have said, but you have to ride it to get it. That said, I think it might be tough to go into it with an open mind.

I have a decent number of bikes to choose from on any given day, but my C60 gets ridden more than any other bike. I have bikes that are better looking, more durable, more comfortable, and definitely faster. That said, I have never ridden a bike that handles better than any Colnago that I have owned.

There isn't a major brand I haven't owned, as well as lots of small brands. I have custom and production bikes. The only bike I had ever missed was a C40, until I got a C50 and subsequently let that one go, and now have a C60 to finally fill that void. My C60 is like the hotter version of that girl that got away.

To fully understand, take a look at all the things and people in your life - that one thing/person that just feels amazing, but you can't quantify metrics on why - that's what my Colnago is to me, and apparently lots of other folks.

All that said, Colnago might not be YOUR thing and/or might not feel amazing to you, and that's cool too. I hope you have or find that bike that makes riding as good for you as my Colnago does for me.
My bike isn't fat...it is just big boned.

samuelcfadams1986

by samuelcfadams1986

spawn350 wrote:Not that the OP asked for advice, and not to say the same thing that others have said, but you have to ride it to get it. That said, I think it might be tough to go into it with an open mind.

I have a decent number of bikes to choose from on any given day, but my C60 gets ridden more than any other bike. I have bikes that are better looking, more durable, more comfortable, and definitely faster. That said, I have never ridden a bike that handles better than any Colnago that I have owned.

There isn't a major brand I haven't owned, as well as lots of small brands. I have custom and production bikes. The only bike I had ever missed was a C40, until I got a C50 and subsequently let that one go, and now have a C60 to finally fill that void. My C60 is like the hotter version of that girl that got away.

To fully understand, take a look at all the things and people in your life - that one thing/person that just feels amazing, but you can't quantify metrics on why - that's what my Colnago is to me, and apparently lots of other folks.

All that said, Colnago might not be YOUR thing and/or might not feel amazing to you, and that's cool too. I hope you have or find that bike that makes riding as good for you as my Colnago does for me.

Have you ridden an F10 in comparison to the C60 ?

3Pio

by 3Pio

samuelcfadams1986 wrote:
spawn350 wrote:Not that the OP asked for advice, and not to say the same thing that others have said, but you have to ride it to get it. That said, I think it might be tough to go into it with an open mind.

I have ride F8 in comparasion to C60 (actually i went in Treviso to test ride and buy F8). C60 is so suerior to F8 u can not believe it if u dont test ride them both on proper ride (100 km - 150 km ride, climbs, flats, downhill...).

I dont believe that F10 is so much better then F8, if at all. Im afraid Pinarello is one of the brads who are marketing based, and not that enthusiastic and high quality anymore..

And this is by man who suppost to have Bias on Pinarello, since my first proper Road Bike was Pinarello (Fp3 which my gf ride now)

samuelcfadams1986

by samuelcfadams1986

3Pio wrote:
samuelcfadams1986 wrote:

I have ride F8 in comparasion to C60 (actually i went in Treviso to test ride and buy F8). C60 is so suerior to F8 u can not believe it if u dont test ride them both on proper ride (100 km - 150 km ride, climbs, flats, downhill...).

I dont believe that F10 is so much better then F8, if at all. Im afraid Pinarello is one of the brads who are marketing based, and not that enthusiastic and high quality anymore..

I also have had a Pinarello F8 and a 65.1 before that, both got sold so I would agree there wasn't a lot of attachment for me on either. I currently have a C60 on order with the guys over at bespoke cycling, I must say they are a great team. Bobby is the manager there and between him and Ben the fitter there is a wealth of knowledge. Anyway back on point, I haven't actually ridden a C60 yet I'm buying more from lust then any marketing drive. I'm just trusting in the fact that a brand such as Colnago will deliver base on the heritage and experience.

3Pio

by 3Pio

samuelcfadams1986 wrote:
3Pio wrote:
samuelcfadams1986 wrote:

I also have had a Pinarello F8 and a 65.1 before that, both got sold so I would agree there wasn't a lot of attachment for me on either. I currently have a C60 on order with the guys over at bespoke cycling, I must say they are a great team. Bobby is the manager there and between him and Ben the fitter there is a wealth of knowledge. Anyway back on point, I haven't actually ridden a C60 yet I'm buying more from lust then any marketing drive. I'm just trusting in the fact that a brand such as Colnago will deliver base on the heritage and experience.

If u have time and nerves read my post i posted this morning. I did not buy C60 based on reviews, or hype for Colnago heritage.. Actually where i live hype is Aero , so not so much attention to C60. I bought it based on test ride and quality..

Believe me, u wont regret ur C60.

samuelcfadams1986

by samuelcfadams1986

No i think I will love it, very excited to get it actually

samuelcfadams1986

by samuelcfadams1986

No i think I will love it, very excited to get it actually

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

fabriciom wrote:
My conscience is clear and i'm not bother by this thread. If it bothers you thats of your concern. I do not buy bikes/frames to feed my ego. I ride what I like and what makes me smile. I'm not bother by what others think of me or my ride.

no worries about that last bit, as witnessed in the last 7 pages nobody is interested in what you ride.

but you surely seem interested in what others ride, because you jump at everyone opportunity to express how much you dislike their colnago.

"they look sloppy"
"they do nothing for me"
"i do not get the appeal"
"no way i would go"

thats a strange itch on your ego that you keep having to scratch. your psychologist can probably diagnose it better than us.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Interestingly, the OP is not interested in:

-how a bike handles
-how a bike rides

I wonder which qualities he values in a bicycle.

(Well, I actually couldn't care less)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I work in a shop that sells Colnago among other Italian brands and Colnago has the worst finish I've seen for a premium brand. We recently built the 85th anniversary C60 and I was appalled at the flaws in the paintwork. I would say "you have to ride one to understand" except that my 1990 Basso Gap rides better than any C60 I've tried.

Modern Colnago is just a huge let down.

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... that's interesting @VTR1000SP2... My experience in Colnago finishes is just the opposite. Care to elaborate on the flaws that appalled you the most? Pictures would be awesome but I undertstand if you don't have any since they are not your bikes that you're talking about. And the high end Colnagos are individually painted so of course there are variations from one to the next, but on balance I do believe the finish quality to be much higher than average, at least from my experience. I have had a late model C40 in the NL4 finish which I loved, two C50's, an EPQ done custom for me, an MTBK C59 and currently the only C60 in PR99 color scheme that I've ever seen or heard of. All the finishes have been as good as or better than any bike I've ever seen. Even the Matte finish over the carbon weave C59 (MTBK) is not like most matte finishes on bikes in that it is easy to clean and care for. Some matte finishes on other bikes I've seen seem like they are just a matte paint color, versus having a separate matte clearcoat applied, and they attract and hold dirt and grease like a sponge. But my current C60 is absolutely flawless... the PR99 uses quite heavy decals for the panels on the downtube and seattube, before a very heavy multicoat clear is applied. Running your fingers over that transistion at the heavy decal edges gives you an idea for just how thick and durable that clearcoat is.

But finish quality aside, the ride and handling characteristics are superb. The geometry has been refined over many years of trial and error, rider/racer feedback, etc. I too have had many bikes in the past. In fact, I have a Basso Loto of the same vintage as your Gap. Whereas your Gap is made from the Columbus SL and perhaps even an SL/SP mix, my Loto is made with the Columbus SLX tubing. Interestingly, the size of my Basso at 60cm is pretty identical to my Colnagos. Would I say it rides better than my C60. Ahhh... well, it's heavier... I'll say that. I think it sits at over 24lbs (~11kg), versus my C60 at just over 7kg. The Basso has nostalgic sentiment to me for sure, and I always meant to show it in the "Steel Bikes" thread which unfortunately is no more. But I'm sorry... I would not even begin to utter a statement like "My Basso rides better".

In closing... here's several pics of my C60 frame finish... and I suspect it will hold up over time...

Oh, and thank your for providing me yet another opportunity to present some pics... that last post provided the perfect segue for it. And you know how us Colnago owners are... when we're not drunk on whiskey, we love to show off our bikes.

:beerchug:
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

samuelcfadams1986

by samuelcfadams1986

Calnago wrote:Hmmm... that's interesting @VTR1000SP2... My experience in Colnago finishes is just the opposite. Care to elaborate on the flaws that appalled you the most? Pictures would be awesome but I undertstand if you don't have any since they are not your bikes that you're talking about. And the high end Colnagos are individually painted so of course there are variations from one to the next, but on balance I do believe the finish quality to be much higher than average, at least from my experience. I have had a late model C40 in the NL4 finish which I loved, two C50's, an EPQ done custom for me, an MTBK C59 and currently the only C60 in PR99 color scheme that I've ever seen or heard of. All the finishes have been as good as or better than any bike I've ever seen. Even the Matte finish over the carbon weave C59 (MTBK) is not like most matte finishes on bikes in that it is easy to clean and care for. Some matte finishes on other bikes I've seen seem like they are just a matte paint color, versus having a separate matte clearcoat applied, and they attract and hold dirt and grease like a sponge. But my current C60 is absolutely flawless... the PR99 uses quite heave decals for the panels on the downtube and seattube, before a very heavy multicoat clear is applied. Running your fingers over that transistion at the heavy decal edges gives you an idea for just how thick and durable that clearcoat is.

But finish quality aside, the ride and handling characteristics are superb. The geometry has been refined over many years of trial and error, rider/racer feedback, etc. I too have had many bikes in the past. In fact, I have a Basso Loto of the same vintage as your Gap. Whereas your Gap is made from the Columbus SL and perhaps even an SL/SP mix, my Loto is made with the Columbus SLX tubing. Interestingly, the size of my Basso at 60cm is pretty identical to my Colnagos. Would I say it rides better than my C60. Ahhh... well, it's heavier... I'll say that. I think it sits at over 24lbs (~11kg), versus my C60 at just over 7kg. The Basso has nostalgic sentiment to me for sure, and I always meant to show it in the "Steel Bikes" thread which unfortunately is no more. But I'm sorry... I would not even begin to utter a statement like "My Basso rides better".

In closing... here's several pics of my C60 frame finish... and I suspect it will hold up over time...

Beautiful finish and lovely bike [emoji106]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com