3T Strada aero road bike is made for wide tires and 1×12 drivetrains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I have an 8,000ft climb out my front door, and my new road bike will be 1x11...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

Nice front door brag. On the other hand, your commute to work must really suck. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

ms6073 wrote:Nice front door brag. On the other hand, your commute to work must really suck. :beerchug:
The town itself (Colorado Springs) kind of sucks. But the riding itself is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller

by Miller

Two of the riders from Aqua Blue are using their team Strada bikes for lightweight touring through the Alps this week.

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/larry-cono ... t-for-now/

Gary71

by Gary71

2lo8 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:22 pm
"Good for pros" says 3T employee. Not so say riders of not collapsed team sponsored by 3T forced to use it.

Sounds like they pulled the same con on the pro riders as they tried to pull here, hinting at future developments that would make it viable, and those pros getting first hand experience that this was a bad idea, until it reached the point where pros who ride what they get paid to decided they weren't getting paid enough to ride it.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/aqua ... act-392238
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... ort-392905
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 66552.html

How embarassing.
On The Cycling Podcast + Rapha's Stage 7 coverage of the Veulta. You can listen to the interview with RIck Delaney as reported in the Irishexaminer. He paints a very candid picture of his version of events. (https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/112 ... 03716&mt=2).
I'm not saying that Rick's version is the truth, but you can hear the interview and judge for yourselves. Whatever happened, its a dam shame another team has gone to the wall.

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

I’ve looked but not found the answer.

Does anyone have actual tunnel data relative to current crop of aero road bikes? Taking account for the 1x set-up as well.

Marin

by Marin

There's a thread about the current crop of aero bikes and their Tour Magazine test on this forum.

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Marin wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 pm
There's a thread about the current crop of aero bikes and their Tour Magazine test on this forum.
Thanks, but when I read through that, I saw others commenting that they wished the Strada had been included. Just haven’t seen any aero data for this frame.

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

Hi new friends

I just scooped up a 3T Strada frame from Excel sports and will be building it up over the winter time. I've been in love with the Strada since I first laid eyes on it, but I'm still not too sure about the 1x concept. I also certainly couldn't afford one, but end of season closeouts have a nice way of changing that.

SRAM's new Force AXS makes the strada again a possibility. I did the math and my 12-27 10s x 36-52 is almost exactly the same range offered by a 10-33 x 44t 1x setup. 1t jumps from 10-17, then 2x and 3x jumps from there. Hopefully it works out. I find myself constantly jumping between the front rings with my current setup to stay in a good range. Hopefully this will solve all that.

Will be a bit of a budget build, but I don't know how budget you can get with all carbon everything and etap anywhere...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

SandwichNP wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 pm

SRAM's new Force AXS makes the strada again a possibility. I did the math and my 12-27 10s x 36-52 is almost exactly the same range offered by a 10-33 x 44t 1x setup. 1t jumps from 10-17, then 2x and 3x jumps from there. Hopefully it works out. I find myself constantly jumping between the front rings with my current setup to stay in a good range. Hopefully this will solve all that.

With your gear ratios, I would be in the big ring all the way through the 24t, then shift down to the small ring and also shifting up two cogs to the 19t. The same goes vice-versa. I would stay in the small ring until I’d need to go up past the 19t, then do the opposite. Delaying your shifts just means bigger jumps or having to shift 3 cogs at once.

This would be for gradual changes in pedaling resistance. With huge changes in incline, wind direction, etc. your shifting strategy my change temporarily.
Attachments
3832DC18-CCBA-4405-A404-9CB09D4FE2A9.jpeg

Daveke

by Daveke

Post Deleted - please follow the rules and post items for sale in the proper forum.

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:54 pm
SandwichNP wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 pm

With your gear ratios, I would be in the big ring all the way through the 24t, then shift down to the small ring and also shifting up two cogs to the 19t. The same goes vice-versa. I would stay in the small ring until I’d need to go up past the 19t, then do the opposite. Delaying your shifts just means bigger jumps or having to shift 3 cogs at once.

This would be for gradual changes in pedaling resistance. With huge changes in incline, wind direction, etc. your shifting strategy my change temporarily.
Thanks for the comment. That is pretty much what I do, if I think about it. There seems to be a lot of overlap in the middle section- not sure if that's normal. I followed advice I found on the internet and maybe that wasn't the smartest thing. I regularly found I was shifting up or down on the front and up/downshifting 2-3 on the back as needed to keep my cadence normal. Maybe that's normal, but I found it tedious with the rolling hills out here to do so much shifting anticipating a climb, then shifting back on a flat, then back on a climb.

I live out in eastern MA so I don't really need the range- I am almost never in my high-high and rarely in my low-low. Usually when I'm on the way home on the last hill. There aren't extended climbs nor descents...I'm hoping to use this bike for just enjoying back roads as quickly as possible.

RyanH

by RyanH

So, there's no wind tunnel data for this bike? I searched for an hour last night and couldn't find anything. Seems odd.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

RyanH wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:17 pm
So, there's no wind tunnel data for this bike? I searched for an hour last night and couldn't find anything. Seems odd.
It was tested in the SDLSWT. The results were not published AFAIK.

-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com