Campagnolo EPS splice?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

userfriendly

by userfriendly

I was surprised to see you position the two connectors next to each other when splicing, as opposed to one at each end.

I hadn't thought of doing it that way. Did that prove to be beneficial?
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

saverin

by saverin

Two reasons we went that route:
    - We didn't have small enough heat-shrink tubing to isolate the individual wires from each other and this orientation allowed us to fold them all away from each other.
    - This way seemed more likely to fit everything inside the ergo-body.

I wanted to avoid cutting the cable ends off my V3 interface to splice in the Chorus plugs to retain future compatibility.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Those are two very good reasons, thanks. I could also imagine the splices to be more solid that way, less prone to lose contact.

Good job in any case. :) That means my plans for the hydro brakes on the Mason can go ahead as soon as suitable calipers have been identified.

As for my v3 upgrade on the Cinelli, I'll still need to test this with the Chorus derailleurs. I've got the derailleur extension cables, just waiting for the shrink tubing.

StrapOn

by StrapOn

Hi, looking to do the same as I have a new set of chorus ergo's.

To simplify to make the adapters you just need to cut down a old extention cable or junction box to the connector and length of wire and just splice the ends of wire?

Is the wire single core for one join or multiple core?

Looking to pick up the mechs on fleabay and buy the v3 parts new. My TT bike has chorus eps on so looking to use this for the testing (look at picking up a record front mech first).

Great thread cheers cal

saverin

by saverin

My first choice was to try and not modify anything permanently on the eps system. Now, if I decide to, I can replace my Chorus shifters with Record.

Not sure I entirely understand what you mean by single core VS. multiple core, but the individual wires were all tiny braided cables.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Yup. Really tiny. Four of them per cable, colour coded.

That's for the shifter cables, not sure yet what the derailleur cables will look like.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

But, can I assume that the spare record female plugs were taken from old record shifters. (all the other plugs can come from the extension kits)

saverin

by saverin

I was able to get my hands on the female Record plugs from some TT shifters.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

joeyb1000 let me know if you find more than one pair of defunct Record shifters. I'm still looking for these too.

Miller

by Miller

I've managed to mash an EPS wire during installation of an aero stem. I've opened the wire casing and found the four internal wires. My God they're tiny. Three of them are broken.

How do I rejoin these things, any recommendations?

2old4this

by 2old4this

Sorry if I am stating the obvious but, have you considered soldering under a magnifier?

Miller

by Miller

Didn't need a magnifier eventually, just some decent light and a sharp knife to scrape insulation off. This is the first soldering I've done since I was a teenager and that's not recent! I carefully wrapped a small piece of insulation tape around each wire then around the whole lot. I've tested it and it works fine.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Hi guys,

Sorry for resurecting an old thread, but have sort of stupid question. I am about to have important TT race this weekend, but it is a one time affair. But the TT is fairly long - 27k and I added clip-ons on my Emonda.

Now I want to be able to shift from the clip-on bars. I have Record EPS V2 with regular, not TT, interface. You can buy TT shifter and replace the lever and it will work - but the TT are hard to get and fairly expensive. I wanted to buy set of 2 open switches and solder them on EPS lever conector which I have available.

Do you know the setting, the color codes? I mean am no good in electronic, but I feek since its 4 cables inside the wiring - one needs to be used for all switches, correct?

dinosaurpoo

by dinosaurpoo

@miller did you identify what each of the colours in the eps cable is for? i need to trick a battery back into life by splicing a cable but cant find the relevant info.

dinosaurpoo

by dinosaurpoo

Miller wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:23 pm
Didn't need a magnifier eventually, just some decent light and a sharp knife to scrape insulation off. This is the first soldering I've done since I was a teenager and that's not recent! I carefully wrapped a small piece of insulation tape around each wire then around the whole lot. I've tested it and it works fine.

@miller did you identify what each of the colours in the eps cable is for? i need to trick a battery back into life by splicing a cable but cant find the relevant info.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com