Ax Lightness - no more! -Not so much, read page 2 respond by Nils

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Just was informed that Ax Lightness will stop production and will not be available for order.
Owner has decided it will just be Benotti from now and on.
Obviously production in Germany is too expensive and know-how will be used in Benotti bikes.

I don't know more than this.....

(Don't ask who told me, because i can't share that.)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

53x12

by 53x12

Interesting, thanks for sharing. To sad really. AX Lightness did a lot for pushing the boundaries for the WW market. But I can see how in a ever tightening economy, it would be hard to survive. Especially with high labor costs.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

Not terribly surprising. AX made all of their bike parts in a custom, small batch mode. They did not have enough volume to really mass produce and get the low costs from that. They were not buying thousands of tons of carbon fiber direct from the suppliers to make their parts. They bought small batches from distributors who got their stuff from other distributors, etc. Lot of markup and middlemen. They also made a lot of different parts so they could not really specialize on just one thing and reduce costs. Bike part business is very different than their other market. Carbon race cars I think. In that they could price each custom job and get reimbursed for labor and some profit too. Very different than making bike parts for unknown customers and trying to get close to a price point.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I guess Axel is hoping RoadSailor wheels are more profitable?

Mep

by Mep

This is such unfortunate news. Ax Lightness has been one of the stalwarts of the WW community for at least a decade in my mind.

TonyM

by TonyM

Have the benotti frames been made from Ax Lightness?

Asteroid

by Asteroid

They offer some very nice products. Somewhat high prices, however, so perhaps it made them less competitive. Especially when the other outfits - Berk, MCFK, Gelu, ControlTech, etc. - often sold online at lower prices. Plus, you'd see Ax's items listed on Fair Wheel, but never in stock.
Oldbie

Vuong05

by Vuong05

This truly is sad news. Always appreciated what they did for the WW community by pushing the limits. Maybe I can pick up a VIAL EVO D for cheap?
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

kode54

by kode54

terrible. oh well. the frame sets themselves are so few around. i'm glad i got mine repaired when i did. i just hope it holds up for another 2 seasons or until i find a replacement for it.

thx for sharing the intel.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

C36

by C36

Vuong05 wrote:This truly is sad news. Always appreciated what they did for the WW community by pushing the limits. Maybe I can pick up a VIAL EVO D for cheap?

I wouldn't be surprise the opposite. That the rare factor pushes prices up.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

C36 wrote:
Vuong05 wrote:This truly is sad news. Always appreciated what they did for the WW community by pushing the limits. Maybe I can pick up a VIAL EVO D for cheap?

I wouldn't be surprise the opposite. That the rare factor pushes prices up.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Down for sure... I probably would not touch one at this point unless it was very cheap. Kinda glad I did not get one .
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Such a shame. Pretty much every true WW bike would have 1 or more AX parts. I guess aero is taking over, but it's good Axel is still around and making some cool stuff. I might have to try and get another saddle before they disappear!

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

UPDATED:

After seeing AX Lightness in the WW game for so long, it's indeed a pity to see them go. [Happily not true!]

Fortunately, we've still got a number of strong WW manufacturers to choose from (Extralite, MCFK, Berk, Tune, Schmolke, Gelu, ControlTech, Far & Near, Carbon-Ti, POP, etc PLUS AX Lightness still).

I don't know about THM's finances, by they're now part of 3T. And EE Cycleworks is part of Cane Creek. It's good to have both of them still around, too.

RIP AX-Lightness [Happily not true!] and M2Racer!
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I love my AX saddles to bits. I don't know what I'd do without them. I would definitely buy up at least 1 more if I saw one for sold cheap.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Same here .. saddle and seatpost for me.... when it does come time to replace I might try Berk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com