Shimano Di2 RD Adjustment Issues with 2016 Cannondale Evo HM

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
allenpg

by allenpg

Hi,

I was looking for any advice on the following mechanical issue that I've been trying to figure out with my 2016 Cannondale Evo HM.

Problem
The 9070 RD barely wants to shift into the smallest sprocket, even with adjustment screw backed all of the way out. The Di2 microadjustment setting is maxed out of 12 (-12 to 12 on 25 point adjustment). I can get it to shift smoothly if I move microadjustment up, but then it won't go into the smallest sprocket and wants to overshift the biggest sprocket.

This problem seemed to come out of nowhere.

Configuration
Shifters, FD, RD = Shimano 9070 series
Battery = DT-BN110 internal
Junction box = SM-EW90A
D-Fly = EW-WU101
Chain = Brand new HG701

Everything upgraded to the latest firmware.

Variables I've Tried and Eliminated
RD Hanger = I've tried existing and brand new one. No difference.
Wheels = Same problem with 2 different wheels
Cassettes = Have tried existing cassette and as well as a different one
Different Di2 RD = I tried a 6870 RD and have to practically max out the microadjustment (12 on -16 to 16), but at least it shifts correctly

Things I Haven't Tried
Checking RD hanger alignment. I would be surprised to have existing hanger and brand new one both out of alignment.

Notes
I've been using Di2 since 2012, and have 6870/9070 on 3 of my bikes. I know how to follow the adjustment protocol in the dealer's manual.

I really appreciate any ideas or help. Is this possibly a firmware issue? I wish I could make adjustments beyond the current 12 limit. I can at least get the bike functional with my 6870 RD, I'm going to France in a couple of weeks, so don't have much time to play around with this.

Thanks!
-Pete

by Weenie

Jepas

by Jepas

I will try to explain what I felt with my SuperSix evo from 2016.

The first setup was with a mechanical, 10 speed dura ace. Built at the LBS and never had any issue with it.

The issues started after the installation of the sram etap. Same frame, same wheels but being 11 speed started to give me troubles.

As much as I try the rear derailleur would hit the spokes at the largest cog. Got a derailleur alignment tool to check it and it was a little inboard. White fixing it the hanger snapped. Got back to the shop to buy a new hanger.

Surprise, surprise, the new derailleur was showning the same problem. Instead of bend it to far I gave a little touch only enough to solve the issue.

This leads me to conclude that the problem in my case should be about the frame alignment since the first hanger never was crashed and the new one showed the same alignment issue.

Since I did not want to loose the bike for to long I kept this solution of correcting it by bending de hanger outboard enough to solve my problem.

By reading your post I assume you may have the same issue but this time on the smallest cog because with a bent on-board hanger the derailleur position will be affected.

If you have the chance check for frame alignment at the dropouts. I tough it was the derailleur but the new one had the same issue.

Keep us posted, if verifies I may contact the shop to issue a repair or replacement.

djwalker

by djwalker

A couple of questions-
1) Does this happen on both chainrings?
2) When you have the derailleur adjusted correctly for the rest of the cassette what happens when you shift to the smallest cog?
3) Are you sure that it is actually in the lowest shift position when you shift to the largest cog? In other words if you back out the low stop screw all the way can you shift to an even more inward position.

I got into a situation once where the adjustment was so for off from correct that I basically lost a shift position. Once I fixed that everything else worked.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

New hangers always need alignment. It's a false assumption that they come aligned. Each frame plus hanger needs alignment since interface is slightly different on each frame. My guess is that's your problem. Or the wheel isn't seated right into dropouts.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

allenpg

by allenpg

djwalker wrote:A couple of questions-
1) Does this happen on both chainrings?
2) When you have the derailleur adjusted correctly for the rest of the cassette what happens when you shift to the smallest cog?
3) Are you sure that it is actually in the lowest shift position when you shift to the largest cog? In other words if you back out the low stop screw all the way can you shift to an even more inward position.

I got into a situation once where the adjustment was so for off from correct that I basically lost a shift position. Once I fixed that everything else worked.

Thanks for everyone's input. I do have the hanger alignment tool, so I can check things tonight. To answer the above questions.

1) Yes. Happens in both chainrings.
2) If I have it correctly adjusted to rest of the cassette, it won't got into the smallest cog at all. If I have it maxed out on micro adjustment, it will go into the smallest cog but shifting in largest cogs is jumpy.
3) I have checked the lower limit screw and have tried it backed all of the way out.

androidavies

by androidavies

I've occasionally used a washer between the rear mech and the gear hanger. Only on mechanical set ups, but it would have the same effect with the Di2 mech. A crank/pedal washer was a good fit I recall. Or any decent 1mm washer with a 10mm hole should do, like off a rear hub axle…..?

I know this perhaps doesn't address an original cause, but it sounds like it could be a solution…..

allenpg

by allenpg

SOLVED!!!

Both hangers needed to be aligned. There is something with the frame that has them slightly off. I was able to get the hangers straightened enough, so shifting is smooth with the microadjustment settings in a "normal" range.

Thanks again for the help!

-Pete

goodboyr

by goodboyr

:beerchug:

by Weenie

WEG65

by WEG65

Great thread - I have a similar issue and a question

My friend and I just built up two 2016 Cannondale SS Evo HM frames with 9070 Di2

Both frames required that the microadjustment be set to +12 to get the shifting set correctly

One frame still had poor shifting and required rear derailleur alignment

Today the shifting seemed to come out of tune and I have also heard that the Cannondale SS Evo HM derailleur hanger is soft

Would an aftermarket derailleur hanger be better? Stronger?

The only aftermarket derailleur havnger I have seen is Wheels Manufacturing

Thanks in advance