Ultegra 6800 to Rotor 3DF 30mm on Giant TCR advanced 2 (2010)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chinoph

by chinoph

Hi, I'm new to the site and I need your wisdom!

My Ultegra 6800 broke and I am planning to replace it with a Rotor 3DF crank with a 30mm spindle. I've been asking a few of my friends but they all seem to have different answers on what bottom bracket I should use. I'm currently using a 2010 Giant TCR Advanced 2 which appears to have a Dura-Ace internal press fit. What are things I should buy/do for the Rotor crank to fit my bike?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

wingguy

by wingguy

It's a 41mm shell and a 30mm spindle, so Rotor 4130 PF BB or similar is what you want.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Omiar

by Omiar

Rotor 4130 it is. Max two seasons per peice, not very good sealing. Also, you won't be ablo to use front small chainring and two smallest cogs combination anymore.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Yep you need a 4130 bottom bracket, which is 41mm shell and 30mm inner diameter for the spindle. Best bang for your buck I have found is the Hope 4130 pressfit BB. Great quality and no creaks. Avoid Rotor BB if you can, as well as Race Face

chinoph

by chinoph

Omiar wrote:Rotor 4130 it is. Max two seasons per peice, not very good sealing. Also, you won't be ablo to use front small chainring and two smallest cogs combination anymore.

Thanks man, but why I be able to use the two smallest combination anymore?

chinoph

by chinoph

Has anyone tried the brand Kogel? They said it was good but it's too damn expensive

jorisee01

by jorisee01

or try Wheelsmfg pressfit threaded bottom brackets.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Official cafe stop tester

Omiar

by Omiar

chinoph wrote:
Omiar wrote:Rotor 4130 it is. Max two seasons per peice, not very good sealing. Also, you won't be ablo to use front small chainring and two smallest cogs combination anymore.

Thanks man, but why I be able to use the two smallest combination anymore?

With short chainstays, being on the small chainring, it will rub againts the big chainring with the 2 smallest cogs. When the chain is worn to its limits, it might also rub lightly on the 3rd smallest cog.
If you look at the design of modern Shimano big chainrings, you see that the teeth are offcenter towards outside to allow more room for cross chaining. Something that non Shimano rings tend not to have.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

stubob

by stubob

jorisee01 wrote:or try Wheelsmfg pressfit threaded bottom brackets.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think BB86 to 30mm spindle is one size Wheelsmfg doesn't make a threaded bottom bracket for.
http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb ... ckets.html

benp

by benp

Fixie82 wrote:Yep you need a 4130 bottom bracket, which is 41mm shell and 30mm inner diameter for the spindle. Best bang for your buck I have found is the Hope 4130 pressfit BB. Great quality and no creaks. Avoid Rotor BB if you can, as well as Race Face

I'll second the Hope 4130. It's certainly proved more robust than the Rotor 4130's that I have had. Going to move the bearings over to my new frame. They looked pristine after I removed them and they have been installed for a lot of miles and used in some foul conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com