2018 CIPOLLINI RB1K The One

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Sorry, are we talking about the RB1K or NK1K? :noidea:
Anyway, The One RB1K does look aero :thumbup:
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

agfu

by agfu

:D

From twitter - Best Bike Kit

ergott

by ergott

I have to say that pic really show off what's going on with the seat stays and they look awful. Rest of the bike looks good.

53x12

by 53x12

Agreed. Too much going on, all of it unnecessary.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

AZK

by AZK

kgt wrote:Beautiful RB1000 AZK! How does it ride in comparison to your Aeroad?

Thanks kgt,

The Aeroad feels more forgiving and does absorb the buzz of the road much better. The Canyon changes direction with very little input leaving the bike feeling lighter than it is especially when standing and climbing. Overall it feels more contemporary and civilised.

The builds are very similar the Aeroad has full SR EPS with de-badged Dura-ace brakes, due to Movistar being sponsored by Campagnolo, at the time Shimano only had direct-mount brakes.

The RB1K has SR Mechanical & both have Bora 50s running on latex tubs (Corsa G+ vs Conti Pro Ltd). Ultimately the RB1K was just a bit better fit for me with the Stack and Reach combo allowing me to flatten my back. Not being slightly compressed between the bars and saddle when riding with my arms bent on the hoods, it just felt more natural.

The rear brake on the Canyon would also catch the rear of my left leg now and then. A small discomfort but something I never had on the Cipollini.

Canyon also only offer the H11 handle bar stem combo up till '130mm' meaning I would have to ditch the integrated setup on the Aeroad to try a more stretched out position. My experience with 140mm -12* stems on certain bikes have also left me with a rear wheel skipping when standing or leaning forward & awkward handling on descends.

The RB1K is raw and the ride is more visceral when you get on you just wants to go. It has helped me get a step up in my racing which could also just be due to a better winter of training. Is it just placebo or is it actually faster? Will I ever actually know? At the end of the day even sold my TT bike and have beat all my PRs in 1 year on a roadbike.

AZK

by AZK

Mr.Gib wrote:
AZK wrote:A Madone is widely regarded as the fastest aero frame (as long as you ride without a bottle, which also makes you lighter) But I would be very surprised if a rider would generate less drag on a H2 fit slammed than a RB1K slammed. Even if the Cipollini frame generates more drag, The possible rider position would more than cancel that loss out

If you are saying the lower front end on the Cipo ultimately makes it more aero, than you must offer a caveat. That being that the taller front end of the Madone H2, etc. prevents the rider from getting their torso in the optimum position. On the other hand if both bikes allow optimal torso positioning (via more or less bend in the elbows), than the bike with the taller front end will be faster (in combination with the rider).

Occasionally I ride with a first class deuchebag who has an S5. Never seen him on the drops, never seen him bent at the waist, rides sitting up like an old lady going for groceries. So much more about how you use it than what it is. Of course that's no reason to stop going for every aero gain wallet permitting.

Yip I'd agree with all of the above. I have no doubt that a Madone is more aero. Kind of like the Vias being claimed to be faster than the Shiv, as a package thou the Shiv would be way faster due to the position that can be obtained

53x12

by 53x12

AZK wrote:
kgt wrote:Beautiful RB1000 AZK! How does it ride in comparison to your Aeroad?

Thanks kgt,

The Aeroad feels more forgiving and does absorb the buzz of the road much better. The Canyon changes direction with very little input leaving the bike feeling lighter than it is especially when standing and climbing. Overall it feels more contemporary and civilised.

The builds are very similar the Aeroad has full SR EPS with de-badged Dura-ace brakes, due to Movistar being sponsored by Campagnolo, at the time Shimano only had direct-mount brakes.

The RB1K has SR Mechanical & both have Bora 50s running on latex tubs (Corsa G+ vs Conti Pro Ltd). Ultimately the RB1K was just a bit better fit for me with the Stack and Reach combo allowing me to flatten my back. Not being slightly compressed between the bars and saddle when riding with my arms bent on the hoods, it just felt more natural.

The rear brake on the Canyon would also catch the rear of my left leg now and then. A small discomfort but something I never had on the Cipollini.

Canyon also only offer the H11 handle bar stem combo up till '130mm' meaning I would have to ditch the integrated setup on the Aeroad to try a more stretched out position. My experience with 140mm -12* stems on certain bikes have also left me with a rear wheel skipping when standing or leaning forward & awkward handling on descends.

The RB1K is raw and the ride is more visceral when you get on you just wants to go. It has helped me get a step up in my racing which could also just be due to a better winter of training. Is it just placebo or is it actually faster? Will I ever actually know? At the end of the day even sold my TT bike and have beat all my PRs in 1 year on a roadbike.

Yes you could know if it is faster. Assuming that you have a power meter, you can do the testing yourself. Or you could use a service like EROsports to help you figure that out yourself.

Also, do you realize that lower isn't always better? Ask Robbie Ketchell of Team Sky. Only way to know if being lower on a new frame geometry is to try it and actually test it. Test it in an objective manner with a power meter and in a controlled setting. Just to say lower geometry is better is untrue.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I'm not really sure if its the way the photo is redone but having to look at the side profile of the bike has my eyes dancing all over the place.. I'm not saying its a good or bad thing but there is just way too much going on with that frame all the way from the odd front end w/ the somewhat forward bowing fork, all the way to the rear with the batwing type seatstays..

Radical, yeah, there's no other word i can come up with to explain this frame.... hardly traditional which is not the direction I'd like to go..
Last edited by jimaizumi on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AJS914

by AJS914

This one really bucks the svelt seat stay for comfort trend.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Man.....umm.....it's interesting (it's ugly....so, so, ugly....)

AZK

by AZK

53x12 wrote:Yes you could know if it is faster. Assuming that you have a power meter, you can do the testing yourself. Or you could use a service like EROsports to help you figure that out yourself.

Also, do you realize that lower isn't always better? Ask Robbie Ketchell of Team Sky. Only way to know if being lower on a new frame geometry is to try it and actually test it. Test it in an objective manner with a power meter and in a controlled setting. Just to say lower geometry is better is untrue.

Yes getting as low as possible is not always faster aero wise & would probably lead to power loss as well. (I could dramatically increase the drop on my bike with a -17* 140mm / flush dust cap headset cover / and deep drop bars, but there is no point)

I do have a power meter, which does give me the overall aero data of the frame, wheels, rider and so on. Many tests show evidence that certain frames work better with certain wheels, with or without a bottle and I'm sure with a rider in a certain position. I don't have to the facilities to test a frame by itself to know if it is actually faster VS the whole package.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

SLCBrandon wrote:Man.....umm.....it's interesting (it's ugly....so, so, ugly....)

Yep. My thoughts to the aero discussion: It certainly is ugly enough to be a good aero frame.

agfu

by agfu

The chrome looks good in the sim, Marino and Merckx out for a ride

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

agfu

by agfu

Well he launched it live on Facebook today but don't see any details posted

http://www.facebook.com/MCipolliniBike

Can anyone translate the details from Italian in the video?