2018 CIPOLLINI RB1K The One

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

ichobi wrote:It will accelerate slower. It will have poorer brake for obvious reason. I think the BMC is a better engineered machine and will suit more types of terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think:

Cipollini: best quality on carbon fiber and best construction method ( true monocoque 100% ), framset more aero and better accelleration. Lower complessive weight

BMC: disc brake (maybe better maybe no) no wire visible so best type of disc brake such as cable routing, more weight for the wheel what I will buy (on RB1K I have a wheelset of 1300g on bmc I will buy Ksyrium pro ust disc 1600g) less fast on the plain. Maybe a purchase that will keep the value better if pro in the big tours next year will use the discs.

kgt

by kgt

You compare two completely different things.

It is not about discs, cables, etc. Cipollini is a much more exclusive, higher quality frame, handmade in Italy. BMC is more generic, mass made in China like most carbon frames. Cipollini is more of a sprinter's frame, stiffer, with more aggressive geometry. BMC is a more allround machine. It is more difficult to sell a Cipollini but their resale value is relatively high. It's easier to sell a BMC but they devalue faster.

Both frames will do the 'job' fine but it depends on what your values and priorities are. It seems that a BMC would suit your criteria better. A Cippolini Bond disc would be a good choice too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

kgt wrote:You compare two completely different things.

It is not about discs, cables, etc. Cipollini is a much more exclusive, higher quality frame, handmade in Italy. BMC is more generic, mass made in China like most carbon frames. Cipollini is more of a sprinter's frame, stiffer, with more aggressive geometry. BMC is a more allround machine. It is more difficult to sell a Cipollini but their resale value is relatively high. It's easier to sell a BMC but they devalue faster.

Both frames will do the 'job' fine but it depends on what your values and priorities are. It seems that a BMC would suit your criteria better. A Cippolini Bond disc would be a good choice too.

Now I have a Cipollini NK1K.

In reality if I compare BMC sl01 caliper and RB1K ONE.

I do not even consider bmc, I exclude this immediately.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

So according to you is the RB1K better?

kgt

by kgt

Why buy a RB1K if you already have a NK1K ?

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

kgt wrote:Why buy a RB1K if you already have a NK1K ?

the deisiding to change, to improve my equipments

kgt

by kgt

I doubt you will see any tangible improvements. I would spend my money elsewhere...

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

kgt wrote:I doubt you will see any tangible improvements. I would spend my money elsewhere...

maybe you are right but I already have sold my nk1k and the geometry of RB1K one is more fitting for me.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

This whole discussion seems based on rumour. Better construction just as its made in Italy? - there are numerous threads about defects with cipollini's work. Better carbon - there are NO italian carbon cloth manufacturers. They get it from the asian and US mills like everyone else. Monocoque vs no monocoque - show me the data that there is a tangible difference in strength/ride quality between 2 equivalent frames constructed with each method. RB1K aero - show me wind tunnel data - I don't doubt that it is more aero than a climbing BMC but i would be astounded if there weren't a dozen more aero and cheaper frames out there.

If you want a cipo because you want one - thats fine, but lets not say its because its the stiffest, best constructed, best handling, most aero bike around.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zappafile123

by zappafile123

+1 Nifty

As ichobi said, Cipollini emphasise form over function. You buy a Cippo cause they are beautiful looking bikes that suit people who want something very racey... I want a Cipo :p
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

maverick_1

by maverick_1

As a owner myself, have to agree on all accounts.
Stiffest, most aero? Top notch built quality? Nah, I’ve seen a poorly constructed NK1K, and I’ve never seen a wind tunnel data from Cipo till today.
But does it make me “feel” faster vs my other bikes (e.g C60 etc)??
Well it certainly does, lol.

Still my best bike till now..

Cheers

kgt

by kgt

Stiffness is something one can measure easily and according to most tests and reviews (by german, us, aus, european magazines and blogs) Cipollini frames are very, very stiff, especially at the bb.
That was my experience as well with the Bond I used to ride.

ichobi

by ichobi

Let's just say if you buy it for what it is (RB1K The One, and as a Cipollini bike) you won't be disappointed really. It's a really good and visually striking bike. If you climb all day, look for something else. The rest it will handle fine. Just find some good light wheels to go along.

kgt

by kgt

+1
All the reviews of Cipollini bikes (at least those I know) are from very positive to enthusiastic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Succisa75

by Succisa75

Recently got my RB1K "The One" a couple weeks ago and prior to that I had an NK1K.

As far as differences between the two bikes there isn't that much to be honest. The RB has a more aggressive geometry, but not so aggressive it feels radically different than the NK. This could be also due to more play on the head tube height with the additional spacers. As a whole it's still more aggressive than other bikes on the market.

The RB1K is slightly stiffer, but not enough to make you go wow if you are coming from the NK. If you are coming from other bikes, well then welcome to what makes Cipollini bikes so special to ride if you like stiff bikes with fantastic power transfer.

I think this version of the RB1K was to address the limitations of the original RB rather than try and better the NK1K.

Currently right now I'm testing a couple different wheel sets to find the right match for the frame. I'm a big believer in wheel matching especially with such a stiff frame like this. Tried my friends LW Milenstein Obermayer and The Zipp 404 NSW so far but looking to try the Corima MCC Aero + as well.

Weight wise the bike (Size M) with LW, eTap, 3T bar and stem with Fizik Arione R3 Versus One saddle and vector 3 pedals weighs 7kg. The Zipp's are about 500 plus grams more.

Between the two, the LW are easier to climb and get up to speed pretty fast, but the Zipp's are fantastic at holding speed and seem to compliment the stiffness of the frame. Almost giving a bit of a whip feel to the ride when you put the power down. Wish Zipp made tubular NSW wheels since those would be lighter.