Di2 R9170 or eTap HRD for the disc brake build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

R9170 or eTap HRD?

R9170
57%
eTap HRD
41%
Mechanical?
1%

Total votes: 70

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes the DA has indeed also a rechargeable battery unfortunately. I just hope that because it is Shimano and because it is Dura Ace everything will just work fine; especially with the reliability which has always been with Dura Ace. The pro Teams need this reliability also and they use DA. I suppose the release of the DA powermeter has not been released yet is because they want to have a 100% reliability (that the Pro Team needs also). I guess the integration will be perfect having the full DA group, the DA powermeter, the tube app etc....
I am sure everything will works fine - or will have an update in thee tube app etc....

jlok

by jlok

Have been a R785 user here and placed order for eTap HRD. The clean look of wireless takes top priority. It's just elegant. Performance... well I don't know but I dislike Di2 cables. Not judging the others' choice just voicing out why I like eTap.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I do agree, the wireless option looks really appealing. This time, however, you can have the Di2 routed fully internally with the bar end solution. It results in a really clean build (as long as you can do something to prevent cables rattling inside of the frame). Even the wireless unit, EW-WU111, can be hidden inside. Still, I do realize eTap is completely different.

I haven't ridden the Di2 (any variant) so I can't really comment on the shifting speed (which everyone seems to emphasize on when doing the comparison between the two groupsets). I will probably go to my LBS to take some Di2 bike for a ride, at least around the block.

As far as I see two major selling points for the Di2 is shifting speed and customization; for eTap it's ease of installation and use. Not quite sure which one should trump the other.

jlok

by jlok

Yes, the latest bar-end junction is the proper design finally. Plus, the Psycho Shift function makes Di2 functions better and easier.

Sub First-world problem really, as I imagine that the rich guys just don't care:

Why not both?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Anyone got their eTap HRD / R9170 yet? Any opinions? Experiences? I kinda want to have the build finished by the beginning of July, time's not on my side this time around.

themidge

by themidge

9170 all the way, it's the least ugly of the two :)

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Just saw the recent velonews review of the eTap HRD, it got 9.2/10 there. One thing that puzzles me though is this sentence

Review: SRAM Red eTap HRD wrote:SRAM Red eTap HRD is priced at $2,940, which includes eTap front and rear derailleurs, eTap HRD shift-brake controls and calipers, two Centerline 160mm rotors, Red crankset, chain, and cassette. Shimano’s Dura-Ace Di2 hydraulic disc brake system costs approximately $2,700 for the same pieces — a similar price for similar systems.

I thought that R9170 is more expensive, at least that's what review on cyclingweekly said. Who's right?

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Have you seen etap hrd shifters? They are monstrous. 9170 is an easy choice.
2016 Diverge Expert

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Yeah, I've ridden the groupset; they are pretty big :)

A little update on the topic, at least for me - today I got the message that my SRAM distributor can't get the eTap HRD groupset even by the end of July. I didn't even bother asking them more questions as I've already had a pretty hard time speaking with them. In theory I could get the groupset from Germany/UK but there's this warranty thing and all.

On the other hand, Shimano dealer said the ST-R9170 levers should be available for purchase by the end of this week. If this will be the case I'll be ordering the Di2. I've got no updates on the powermeter yet, though, and this is pretty important to me as well.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

What's Shimano warranty policy for components bought from high volume online retailers in europe?
2016 Diverge Expert

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Refreshing the thread.. Few people already got the eTap HRD and they are really satisfied (I didn't find a single negative opinion yet, either on cycling sites or user reviews). There aren't many R9170 reviews (maybe because it isn't really out yet), I've tried to translate the spanish forum where there's somebody who already got it but the only thing I make out of it is a problem with battery (which I believe isn't really R9170 related, just Di2 in general) - no real input on the groupset itself.

Is Di2 really worth the wait?

chpfly

by chpfly

Orbea Orca Di2 9170.jpeg

I have a few hundred miles on the new R9170 - it is fantastic. The hoods are such a great size. Shifts are super fast and crisp.

#NEVERgoingbacktorimbrakes:)

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

My opinion (so take it as you see fit) is that the major tangible benefit of electronic shifting is near instantaneous flawless shifting in high intensity racing situations. In all other scenarios, electronic shifting is 'nice to have', but more of a luxury. So while I haven't used eTAP, I have no interest in sacrificing the few very minor benefits (such as no wires, etc) for ANY compromise in the speed of shifting (not to mention the anecdotal reports of suboptimal front chainring shifting / setup).

jlok

by jlok

Which one is more ww? eTap HRD or R9170?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I also noted that the new 9170 shifters has slimmed down, whereas Etap Hydro suffer from what seems to be a huge body.
I think this would be my setback for Hydro.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.