Water Bottle Cages Preference

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Look595

by Look595

Hi, Want to ask do you guys prefer to have bottle cages that grip the bottles tight or abit loose. As i myself facing some issue with the cages gripping the bottles to tightly, i am using arundel cages with camelbak podium bottles, so much so that the bottle will be slightly defoamed while on the cage and also i am having some hard time getting it off and on the cage while riding easily.. which i am afraid to cause trouble on the road by not paying attention to the environment while trying to fidget with the bottles and cages. What do you guy prefer? Do let me know.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Look595 wrote:Hi, Want to ask do you guys prefer to have bottle cages that grip the bottles tight or abit loose. As i myself facing some issue with the cages gripping the bottles to tightly, i am using arundel cages with camelbak podium bottles, so much so that the bottle will be slightly defoamed while on the cage and also i am having some hard time getting it off and on the cage while riding easily.. which i am afraid to cause trouble on the road by not paying attention to the environment while trying to fidget with the bottles and cages. What do you guy prefer? Do let me know.

I prefer tight grip, but when i reach for the bottle to be a bit loose :). Also using Camelbak podium and have this feeling using Colnago Cage Holders. Tight grip (no rattling while riding), but very easy to get the bottle out of the cage, or to put it back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I had exactly the same issue with the Arundel Mandibles and the Camelbak bottles. Too tight. Switched to the Arundel Dave-O's and really happy. Apparently they are the same circumference etc but the wider arms spread the grip over a greater surface area. No more feeling of too tight. Bottles slide nicely yet firmly in and out. They are just right. I can't stand bottles/cages that are too loose.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sungod

by sungod

tune wasserträger 2.0 cages and specialized 'little big mouth' bottles, the ones they brand for many others

i've found them completely secure even on rough road, speed bumps etc., but really easy to remove/insert the bottle

the podium bottles are slightly larger diameter, in cage that's secure for a 'normal' bottle they will be tighter

silvalis

by silvalis

Calnago wrote:I had exactly the same issue with the Arundel Mandibles and the Camelbak bottles. Too tight. Switched to the Arundel Dave-O's and really happy. Apparently they are the same circumference etc but the wider arms spread the grip over a greater surface area. No more feeling of too tight. Bottles slide nicely yet firmly in and out. They are just right. I can't stand bottles/cages that are too loose.

I recently went the other way - DaveO's to mandibles - and felt that the daveOs gripped tighter than the mandibles.
Chasse patate

Look595

by Look595

I have intention to get the LW bottle cages, anyone have any experience with it? i have heard that it is not very tight and slightly on the loose gripping side.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Personally, I prefer tighter. In the last two big rides I've done, multiple bottles have been ejected from riders ahead and it is an extremely dangerous situation.

I run the CarbonWorks on one bike, and Blackburn Camber UD cages on another bike. Both brands hold Elite Corsa bottles nicely, with a clean "click/thunk" of engagement.

fh8425

by fh8425

currently using the Elite leggero cage and elite bottle. The elite bottle has a step on the body that the cage "catches" on. This makes it tight but when i reach for the bottle, i just need to lift the front slightly and it comes off willingly. Putting back is also easy.
Last edited by fh8425 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

KCookie

by KCookie

Look595 wrote:I have intention to get the LW bottle cages, anyone have any experience with it? i have heard that it is not very tight and slightly on the loose gripping side.

I was using the LW cages with the LW branded bottles without any problems, slid in and out quite easy, haven't tried any other bottle so unfortunately I can't comment on how they will work with the cages. I have since changed to the Carbonworks cages with the same LW bottles which are a little tighter.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Personally prefer on the tight side. Currently using Arundel Mandible cages with Camelbak bottles. it's a reassuringly tight fit and no issues using one handed in the drops at race pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRM

by BRM

Look595 wrote:Hi, Want to ask do you guys prefer to have bottle cages that grip the bottles tight or abit loose. As i myself facing some issue with the cages gripping the bottles to tightly, i am using arundel cages with camelbak podium bottles, so much so that the bottle will be slightly defoamed while on the cage and also i am having some hard time getting it off and on the cage while riding easily.. which i am afraid to cause trouble on the road by not paying attention to the environment while trying to fidget with the bottles and cages. What do you guy prefer? Do let me know.

It's clear you are not satisfied with your own config.
Buy other bottles or other cages.

Why do you want to know what others prefer?
Does that knowledge changes anything for you?
Don't think so . . . .

When you experience problems to get bottles out, try to twist a bit when pulling.

Meyercord

by Meyercord

I've been very pleased with the aluminum zipp cages with specialized bottles. No issues with movement and yet still easy to get the bottle in and out.

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

fh8425 wrote:currently using the Elite leggero cage and elite bottle. The elite bottle has a step on the body that the cage "catches" on. This makes it tight but when i reach for the bottle, i just need to lift the front slightly and it comes off willingly. Putting back is also easy.

Same here. After having lost so many bottles racing, I decided to switch to Elite bottle and bottle cages.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Calnago wrote:I had exactly the same issue with the Arundel Mandibles and the Camelbak bottles. Too tight. Switched to the Arundel Dave-O's and really happy. Apparently they are the same circumference etc but the wider arms spread the grip over a greater surface area. No more feeling of too tight. Bottles slide nicely yet firmly in and out. They are just right. I can't stand bottles/cages that are too loose.

Exactly my experience. Mandibles were too tight. Dave-Os are just right with the Camelbak bottles.

I had a bout of tennis elbow last year that made it really hard and painful to even pull bottles out of a waterbottle cage. I used the Arundel Sport cages and they worked a treat. They are the same shape as Dave-O cages but made out of plastic. It was a lot less painful for me to get a bottle out since the Sport cages have a less fearsome bite. But in over nine months of using the Sport cages, I never lost a bottle! My elbow is good now so I am back on the Dave-O cages.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asteroid

by Asteroid

BRM wrote:It's clear you are not satisfied with your own config.
Buy other bottles or other cages.

Why do you want to know what others prefer?
Does that knowledge changes anything for you?
Don't think so . . . .

When you experience problems to get bottles out, try to twist a bit when pulling.

Geez...another grouchy BRM reply...

The "better mousetrap" design of water bottle cages stopped for me with some of the Blackburn designs from years ago. For less than $20 online or at many bikeshops, you can find their Chicane stainless steel model. (see on Amazon here => https://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-Chican ... =Blackburn )

It weighs around 40-45 grams. Not a current style, for sure, but the cool thing is you can bend it slightly to suit your gripping preferences. Never need worry about wearing out or cracking, either, as mine are approaching fifteen years.
Oldbie