NEW THM-CARBONES FIBULA BRAKESET

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2old4this

by 2old4this

I do not know if I like the way the new ones look. They remind me the AX brake set. IMO, the old Fibulas looked much better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

minimini

by minimini

mrlobber wrote:Indeed, where did you get them? All (but obviously not really all?) the places in Europe show them as "delivery time unknown".

My first order was on December 12, 2016 on a STARBIKE !

Mep

by Mep

rovale wrote:The weight is right.....THM claims them 123 without padholders

So with hardware we're only talking about a 17g difference (162-145) between Eebrake and Fibula?

I didn't realize the difference was that small, which you could bring even lower by replacing pad holders.

leej88

by leej88

Just took delivery of mine and installed them on my bike.

Centering is a royal pain in the arse.

Doesn't help especially when the included instruction manual is in German and Thm hasn't uploaded the translated ones onto their website.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

As nice and exclusive as they might be, and they are, eeBrakes always :-)

KCookie

by KCookie

leej88 wrote:Image

Just took delivery of mine and installed them on my bike.

Centering is a royal pain in the arse.

Doesn't help especially when the included instruction manual is in German and Thm hasn't uploaded the translated ones onto their website.

You got them at last. How much do they weigh. Are they closer to the claimed weight. As per our last discussion I was interested in these as well. Once you've been for a ride can you tell me if you notice any difference from the old ones we have, does the adjustment wheel make it much easier to remove the wheels. ? Cheers

RyanH

by RyanH

@kcookie, I found the old Fibulas pretty easy, you just pinch the pads together and unhook the adjuster and then they open up. Or, if you are on Campy, do that at the lever.

KCookie

by KCookie

RyanH wrote:@kcookie, I found the old Fibulas pretty easy, you just pinch the pads together and unhook the adjuster and then they open up. Or, if you are on Campy, do that at the lever.

Hey Ryan, not on campy, so ive been doing what you explained. Just liked the way the new brakes adjusted, plus I was hoping they would be lighter as claimed, so far they seem to be heavier. Also I like the black anodising, looks better than the silver. Cheers.

leej88

by leej88

@kcookie:

Unfortunately, I did not get to weigh them so I can't comment on that.

The centering is completely different from that of the older Fibulas.

Instead of using the supplied proprietary wrench, the new Fibula brakes uses a 5mm hex nut in the centre. Tightening this hex nut down locks up the left and right arm.

Also, it's meant to be installed without any washers.

Here's a photo of the supplied manual that came with mine. Appreciate it if any German speaking folks here can help translate the manual.

The barrel adjuster acts like a Cam. By adjusting it, you can open up the brakes between position 1 or 2 to take narrow/wide rims. Opening up the brakes for wheel removal is the same as the older Fibula brakes - pinch brake pads together and remove barrel adjuster.

RyanH

by RyanH

@leej88 how's the return spring strength compared to the older version?

leej88

by leej88

@RyanH I think they're marginally better than the older version. The new springs have been beefed up but still no where near that of the eebrakes or duraace.

The new brake return springs are now wider and flatter near the tops and tapers down to a circular diameter at the part where it slots into the return spring guides on both the left and right caliper arms.

magnetalb

by magnetalb

What is the braking force? Please let us know in comparison with Dura-Ace.

leej88

by leej88

magnetalb wrote:What is the braking force? Please let us know in comparison with Dura-Ace.

Prior to taking delivery of the new Fibula brakes, I was using the Ultegra 6800 brakes. Assuming that the Ultegra brakes perform just as well as the Dura Ace, I would say that the new Fibulas are slightly stronger in the rear and a tad weaker in the front.

kidrob

by kidrob

The are on BC now btw: https://www.bike-components.de/en/THM-C ... el-p56581/

They claim 120g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

they look like the ax lightness orions.....I like the old fibulas way better. adjustment is super easy on those.