NEW THM-CARBONES FIBULA BRAKESET

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leej88

by leej88

It's 2018 and they're going for $1000 a pair. Don't think we should still be plagued with such a rudimentary issue.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I guess it tends to happen in good frequency when it comes down to high end boutique parts. I just simply wish they could take their time in testing their own products rather than being in such a hurry to get it out on the open market.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

leej88, i'd forget the ee's and go campy. i was on thm, then ee and now back to campag. so easy to install, no maintenance required, not sensitive to cable length at all and so reliable/strong. 79g heavier and half/one third the price. def worth it IMHO
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Latest update - they've sent me 4 mini clamps that attach over carbon spring arms to try and fix the spring position and (supposedly) help prevent the spring from slipping free (I need to re-read what they asked me to do with them to check):

Problem is, the allen bolt they use is tiny (1.5mm), so I fear they will suffer from not being able to be tightened enough.

They also sent new clamping screws, but they're no different from the ones that were in there so I don't see how they're going to make a difference.

I'm installing these new small parts now, then I'll have one last attempt at installing the brakes... *gulp*

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Installed:

They're actually quite easy to get tight, but I'll wait to see if the tightness I can achieve will actually hold.

I'm also now really concerned about how it will even be possible to adjust these once the brake is mounted and the pads are in place as I don't think there will be any room. It's *such* an afterthought, which is SO wrong on brakes of this 'value' (cost).

sungod

by sungod

might be worth putting some threadlock on them, otherwise they may loosen pretty fast from vibration

leej88

by leej88

@RichTheRoadie:

Do let us know if the new clamps work!

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Is it supposed to be installed at the end of the spring?
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

No - the instructions state to remove the spring, put them on, then re-install the spring.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Another hour, and another cable and lengths of cable outer, wasted - I’ve given up, and told THM they’re getting the brakes back as soon as they tell me who and where to return them to.

I reinstalled EE Brakes afterwards - within 10mins they were sorted, rock solid and ready to go. I told THM that too...

Gold Knight

by Gold Knight

Good man!! My brother had a similar issue with those new THMs and asked me for help. He came over the house and glanced at them then took them off and installed my Ees (since I do not ride anymore) on his bike in minutes. He has since returned the THMs and very happy with the free Ees
:smartass: DO NOT RIDE AN AX-LIGHTNESS FORK :smartass:

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Why they simply couldn't remake the spring with a wider base (to avoid having the spring shift from one side to the other) is beyond me. All these miscellaneous parts just reinforces what appears to be a half assed approach to the quickest fix. I'm not buying this gimmick and wonder if its THM or 3T thats calling the shots.....
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RyanH

by RyanH

Has anyone had any success with these?

leej88

by leej88

I had mine sent back for a refund and will be switching over to EE's.

Was at the LBS the other day and saw a bike being assembled with the new Fibulas.

Not surprisingly, the owner got called down as the mechanics there found the brakes to be defective/can't keep centered.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

I was at my LBS recently and saw an incomplete bike with the new fibulas. Owner said that his mechanic just simply wasn't able to center the brakes no matter what he tried. Customer has since managed to track down an older version and all is good. The new fibulas are being sent back for a refund.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com