NEW THM-CARBONES FIBULA BRAKESET

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mep

by Mep

Sorry to hear. Kudos for trying them and sharing with the rest of us.

2old4this

by 2old4this

leej88 wrote:They're probably as bad if not worse than the AX LIGHTNESS ORIONS.

I respectfully disagree; AX simply lacks the ability of stopping a bike. Period. :smartass:

PS
For the record, AX is light. So, I obviously have it on one of my bikes...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Hmm..tempted on the new THM Fibulas, but seeing the multiple issues on this thread, looks like it's better to just stay away.
On the other hand, I've been using the AX Orions for the past couple of years (ww built).
Braking power is questionable, but on a positive note centering/setup is simple and straightforward.

Cheers

2old4this

by 2old4this

maverick_1 wrote:On the other hand, I've been using the AX Orions for the past couple of years (ww built).
Braking power is questionable, but on a positive note centering/setup is simple and straightforward.

Cheers

+1

Never had any problems on centering Orions. However, I find the older generation of Fibulas and Gravitas (yep, 120 grams is hard to resist) to be overly sensitive to the brake cable length (gravitas more). Could this be the issue with the new Fibulas?

mrgray

by mrgray

i love fancy brakes. and these new thm's with that cam look amazing (so does your bike leej88!). but i must admit i find fancy brakes painful relative to campag SR. i had the old thm's and the friction issue (which i didn't understand at the time) got the better of me and i sold them to a very powerful mod on this forum. i also have bought and used EE's (which i love the look of) and these seemed very superior, until they sort of got off centre and the adjuster bolt ruined the thread on the bolt etc. now they lie collecting dust. (another time i was out and about and the EE spring flew off. now craig is a mensch and he sent me 2 replacement springs which is great but i had to finish that ride without a rear brake and i lost 45 minutes looking for the spring and that is not excellent)

such a shame because fancy brakes are awesome and a great way of saving serious weight when you've run out of others. but braking is so so critical and any ride that is impacted in anyway by non-functional gear is, IMHO, a disaster.

i think i'd like to try dura-ace next as people seem to think they are really the bees knees and then i would have double release available to me (at brifter and at brake).
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

mrgray wrote:i think i'd like to try dura-ace next as people seem to think they are really the bees knees and then i would have double release available to me (at brifter and at brake).

Please tell me you haven't done this?? Shimano brakes on a Campag setup is a total no-no! :roll: :lol:

After returning my Fibulas, they arrived back today. They're going back tomorrow. Frankly I consider brakes with this many issues to be unsafe. I'm telling the CEO of 3T as much too.

sp3000

by sp3000

RichTheRoadie wrote:
mrgray wrote:i think i'd like to try dura-ace next as people seem to think they are really the bees knees and then i would have double release available to me (at brifter and at brake).

Please tell me you haven't done this?? Shimano brakes on a Campag setup is a total no-no! :roll: :lol:

After returning my Fibulas, they arrived back today. They're going back tomorrow. Frankly I consider brakes with this many issues to be unsafe. I'm telling the CEO of 3T as much too.

I'd be very interested in what/if 3T have to say in response..

mrgray

by mrgray

i saw close up some dura ace brakes the other day which i think were the 9100 or 9150 of whatever is new. they look very blocky and wide. i am currently thinking about building up a look 585 frame i have and i might unleash the dura ace brakes on that frame. or i might try and get the ee's installed (more likely, since i've got 'em)

it is weird that i would think nothing of swapping out brakes when i would never do that for any other component. i guess that's what the fancy brake makers have achieved, i no longer think of brakes necessarily being coherent with the group.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

leej88

by leej88

Quick update:

I had my Fibulas returned (again!) as the centering bolt came loose again, making centering impossible.

Anyway, it was near impossible to center them before the centering bolts loosened.

I'm using NOKON housing with Jagwire inner sleeves and Jagwire polished cables and have tried different housing lengths and still couldn't get them right.

What I've noticed is that the newer cam type Fibulas have also negated the need for a washer between brake caliper and frame which might be another reason why it's so difficult to keep it in place.

Tightening the brake calipers ALWAYS causes it to move about despite holding it in place with another 5mm hex.

I think THM themselves are somewhat aware of this issue and here's the latest update from them.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

...none of which worked for me - I tried that in desperation before that update came out.

leej88

by leej88

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of having to readjust them pre-ride, mid-ride and post-ride.

If I could get a refund on them, I'll place an order for EE's immediately.

Either that or Campy skeletons.

2old4this

by 2old4this

leej88 wrote:I'm using NOKON housing with Jagwire inner sleeves and Jagwire polished cables and have tried different housing lengths and still couldn't get them right.

I think it is kind of weird that new design depends on the evenness of the spring on both sides. I am not a materials engineer but if both sides are not perfectly symmetrical, the design will have a tendency to move one side. Since the spring is carbon, we'll, I don't know...

Nonetheless, the length of the outer casing may be playing a bigger role here.

The same was/is true for Ciamillo carbon calipers. I could not get them centered with Nokon housing. Adding or removing a link made them uncentered. Switched to "normal" casing and kept shortening it in very small increments. The calipers got centered.

Obviously you are going to return the new THMs (I would, anyways). But before doing so, you may want to replace nokon casing and see if it helps...

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

glad I have the old set of fibulas. they are fantastic and have no issues with them.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

My new Fibula's are on their way back for a refund after facing the same situation and yes, support Mike's argument that the old calipers are much less infuriating.

Frankly, I don't agree with the whole "if the cables are long" arguement but then again, I was using Jagwire's with mine so it would probably be a whole lot different had I gone down the route of using SRAM outers..

Whatever it may be, the new calipers need to go back to R&D as its really still far from perfect. Cmon 3T, leave the design frustrations w/in the company and not lay it on the consumer..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I was using Campag cable outer - went from too long to too short, but the centering issue never changed.