Campy Potenza Shifter compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nthanach

by nthanach

I have a question on compatibility.

I wonder whether I can use the new Potenza shifter together with Record rear derailleur? Both are 11-speed.

My Record read derailleur is a year 2010 model.

Thank you

gfinkee

by gfinkee

Unfortunetly, it is not.. it is other way around though..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nthanach

by nthanach

Thank you, You mean i can use record shifter with Potenza rear derailleur?

One more question please, is my record rear derailleur compatible with all latest year mechanical shifter (Chorus/Record)?

I mean which one that I should buy if I have to buy a new one.

Thank you for the answer

AJS914

by AJS914

Your 2010 rear derailleur needs 2014 or earlier 11 speed shifters. You can easily go on ebay and find shifters that match your derailleur. Or, you can buy all new and sell your old derailleur.

nthanach

by nthanach

Thank you for the recommendation

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

nthanach wrote:Thank you, You mean i can use record shifter with Potenza rear derailleur?

One more question please, is my record rear derailleur compatible with all latest year mechanical shifter (Chorus/Record)?

I mean which one that I should buy if I have to buy a new one.

Thank you for the answer

No, you can't either way.

Simple rule of thumb is that all 2015 & later mechs must be used with post 2015 levers. Any pre 2015 mechs & levers can be interchanged. Cable pull is different between the two generations. 11 speed Campagnolo chains, cassettes & chainrings/chainsets are compatible with post 2015 stuff but front shifting is optimal when using post 2015 chainsets.

kervelo

by kervelo

I am planning to use latest/2015 chorus levers with the 2017 potenza rear & front derailleurs. Does anyone have experience of this setup?

2lo8

by 2lo8

Campy has never been good about making parts work across generations, and I'm pretty sure it's intentional as it's the only way they can get people to buy complete new groupsets since Campy doesn't sell many groupsets as OEM on complete bikes.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

AJS914

by AJS914

It's not a supported combination.

http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo_faq.shtml

"The Potenza rear derailleur return spring, that drives the rear derailleur towards the smallest sprocket, has a lower tension that that used in Chorus, Record or Super Record rear derailleurs. These derailleurs use part of the available spring tension to help drive the shift mechanism in the lever"

However, I think I saw a post here where someone said it worked for them. Why trouble yourself with a substandard install and potential trouble on the road?

If you are really itching for the carbon bling of Chorus/Record/SR, Campagnolo just released medium caged Chorus/Rec/SR rear derailleurs. It's probably hard to get them now but people reported here this week part numbers showing up in catalogs. In typical Campy fashion there is nothing on their web site.

kervelo

by kervelo

AJS914 wrote:It's not a supported combination.

http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo_faq.shtml

"The Potenza rear derailleur return spring, that drives the rear derailleur towards the smallest sprocket, has a lower tension that that used in Chorus, Record or Super Record rear derailleurs. These derailleurs use part of the available spring tension to help drive the shift mechanism in the lever"

However, I think I saw a post here where someone said it worked for them. Why trouble yourself with a substandard install and potential trouble on the road?

If you are really itching for the carbon bling of Chorus/Record/SR, Campagnolo just released medium caged Chorus/Rec/SR rear derailleurs. It's probably hard to get them now but people reported here this week part numbers showing up in catalogs. In typical Campy fashion there is nothing on their web site.

All my current bikes have Chorus groupsets. The cheaper Potenza components would be for my new rainy day bike that I am building for the autumn/winter/spring rides in miserable conditions. Rainy day means just that: the bike would be ridden only when it rains. I don't like buying too nice components for that kind of use.

Perhaps I will do some recycling of components: get brand new chorus parts for some of my bikes and then use the older parts for the bad weather bike. Or I can go very cheap and get Potenza shifters too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com