Trek Émonda 2018

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
rmcbike

by rmcbike

dgasmd wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:42 am
rmcbike wrote: As expected, no seatmast came with the frame but in the end the shop owner offered a 50% discount since he had told me that it came with one from factory.
So what’s the idea or reasoning for not including a clearly necessary and proprietary part to the build??
Only thing i can think of is trying to increase profit and pushing you to buy the complete bike instead of just the frameset alone.
I can understand a frameset not including the seatpost when it uses a standard round one but not here. At the very least they could offer it for free when going project one considering the price increase...

by Weenie

Methodical

by Methodical

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:26 am
Methodical wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 am
Question. What's the reasoning for having the top tube slope upward vs flat (parallel to the ground)?

Thanks...

“Compact” geometries with sloping top tubes have several advantages. Frames can be made lighter, they give more standover clearance, more seatpost flex = more compliance, etc.
Thanks. I was always curious about this.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Trek Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg
'12 Trek Madone (Black) - 6.96kg
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

Methodical

by Methodical

Calnago wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 am
Methodical wrote:Question. What's the reasoning for having the top tube slope upward vs flat (parallel to the ground)?

Thanks...
The sloping (compact) frames were introduced to decrease costs of production by being able to make fewer frame sizes that would accommodate more people. Giant introduced them to the peloton. At first they made like 3 sizes... S, M, L and would supply different seatposts, bars and stems to make frames fit “everyone”. At least that was what they hoped would happen. The marketing spiel was all about weight savings, stiffer, etc., but the reality was any extra stiffness that resulted from a smaller rear triangle and sloping top tube was lost in the long skinny seatposts that had to go along with it. More importantly, the handling suffered greatly because even though a “fit” of the the three contact points could be achieved, there were still only basically 3 geometries for everyone. That was kind of an early fail so they really had to bring back more size options like S, M, L, XL, and then XS, XXL etc. but never fully returned to the 1cm size increments we enjoyed prior to that, with a few notable exceptions. We now generally have at best 2cm incremental sizing, which is less than the 1cm increments we used to have, but still manage to fit most everyone and achieve acceptable handling for everyone as well.
Thanks. I was always curious about this.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Methodical

by Methodical

banik69 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:19 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@banik69. Are those 50 or 60mm wheels?

Thanks...

banik69

by banik69

Methodical wrote:
banik69 wrote:

Thanks...
Hello there, this is 55 mm

Methodical

by Methodical

banik69 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:43 pm
Methodical wrote:
banik69 wrote:

Thanks...

Thanks. I have a 60mm set on my Emonda and thinking of getting a 50mm set because I think it would look better for this bike (i.e. better proportioned)

mendiz

by mendiz

I missed this post, once more, disinformation at best. It's really incredible.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:26 am
Methodical wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 am
Question. What's the reasoning for having the top tube slope upward vs flat (parallel to the ground)?

Thanks...

“Compact” geometries with sloping top tubes have several advantages. Frames can be made lighter, they give more standover clearance, more seatpost flex = more compliance, etc.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

banik69

by banik69

Methodical wrote:
banik69 wrote:
Methodical wrote:
banik69 wrote:

Thanks...

Thanks. I have a 60mm set on my Emonda and thinking of getting a 50mm set because I think it would look better for this bike (i.e. better proportioned)
You have right I think 50mm is better for this frame

I will go to 35mm btw

NickReazy

by NickReazy

Hello everyone,
My Emonda SLR2019 H1 50 + DA meca :)
[picture delete]
Last edited by NickReazy on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Methodical

by Methodical

banik69 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:18 pm
Methodical wrote:
banik69 wrote:
Methodical wrote:

Thanks...

You have right I think 50mm is better for this frame

I will go to 35mm btw

I have a set of 38mm and think it looks pretty nice with those wheels, too, 60s just look to overpowering, at least to me.