Thoughts on the 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rlanger

by rlanger

Got a chance to demo-ride this bike last weekend. Admittedly, I wasn't really able to put it through it's paces, as it was a brief, flat jaunt, but certainly came away impressed.

Incredibly stiff, but comfortable ride and handles like a dream. Also, pics of this bike really don't do it justice. It's truly a thing of beauty up close.

bilwit

by bilwit

I just wish you could get white with black trim instead of red :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My experience is it's very comfy for a race bike thanks to the dropped seatstays and thin seatpost. However it felt a bit lazy up front compared to the bike I ultimately ended up with (new Emonda.) I guess the millimeters worth of wheelbase, the stack and .5deg slacker head angle add up?

I initially thought the BMC was going to be my next bike, but both the new Tarmac and Emonda were more lively and fun to ride.

bilwit

by bilwit

contacted my local dealer and they said that you can only get the white/red frameset as a full bike (w/ eTap) and not frameset only... :roll:

BMC with the worst/most limited options ever
Last edited by bilwit on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Js2

by Js2

I actually wanted the white frame too (not available as frameset only, bummer), but the team color is growing on me hard.

Probably wait for end of year discount (if any) or end up with a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX mechanical frameset if they have it later this year and on sale. If anyone knows how to get the 2018 teammachine SLR01 frame module on discount please let me know :thumbup:

ODC

by ODC

TobinHatesYou wrote:My experience is it's very comfy for a race bike thanks to the dropped seatstays and thin seatpost. However it felt a bit lazy up front compared to the bike I ultimately ended up with (new Emonda.) I guess the millimeters worth of wheelbase, the stack and .5deg slacker head angle add up?

I initially thought the BMC was going to be my next bike, but both the new Tarmac and Emonda were more lively and fun to ride.

Strange i found the new SLR01 more aggressive then the new Tarmac and even better then my Pinarello F8.
In my size 58, the stack is also 7mm lower with the slr01 compared with the new tarmac.

In my opinion the new SLR01 is a bike you must see in real life.
The massive down tube isn't really vissible on photos.
I have seen the red, black and white version in real life and the red team version stands out.

bilwit

by bilwit

Found a local dealer that will take apart the white frame w/ eTap build and only sell me the frameset while also putting a CeramicSpeed BB on it for $4299.. I think I'll pull the trigger on that
Last edited by bilwit on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ODC

by ODC

bilwit wrote:Found a local dealer that will take apart the white frame w/ eTap build and only sell me the frameset while also putting a CeramicSpeed BB on it for $4299.. I think I'll pull the trigge ron that

You know that on the top tube there is a special red colour? Not black and grey like with the team colour.
Just say it for you're safety!

bilwit

by bilwit

ODC wrote:
bilwit wrote:Found a local dealer that will take apart the white frame w/ eTap build and only sell me the frameset while also putting a CeramicSpeed BB on it for $4299.. I think I'll pull the trigge ron that

You know that on the top tube there is a special red colour? Not black and grey like with the team colour.
Just say it for you're safety!

Yeah, the red highlights are the only thing I don't like about it, would have preferred if those parts were black or the whole thing was white with the decals being black only but this is as close as it gets!

bilwit

by bilwit

Picked it up today

I'll make its own thread for this when I have it built, but I don't have a fancy camera.

All the bits that came with it:
Frame Sz54+Fork+Seatpost+Bottom Bracket+Compression Plug 1.620kg
BMC Stem 110mm 163.7g (thinking about putting an Extralite Hyperstem on there instead.. would save 80g.. not sure if I want to risk the fork though)
Fork (uncut) 340g
Compression Plug 29.8g

ODC

by ODC

bilwit wrote:Picked it up today

Did you're frameset came with the normal rear derailleur hanger or the new direct mount?

bilwit

by bilwit

ODC wrote:

Did you're frameset came with the normal rear derailleur hanger or the new direct mount?

It came with both.. Because this was a non-standard sale, the LBS that took it apart for me gave me a bag with all the accessories including the electronic stuff that I don't need (including the spacers and mounts for the electronic-specific integrated stem which is completely different than the mechanical-specific stem I was provided) and both hangers were included.

Surprisingly, they forgot the chainstay cable guide attachment which turned into a two and a half week long email thread, a failed mail parcel, many phone calls, and an 84km bike ride to and from the bike shop to pick it up but that's another story :x

ODC

by ODC

bilwit wrote:
ODC wrote:

It came with both...

Oooh okay different storry then.
I had ordered the frameset because in the rim brake version there isn't a complete bike with di2 and it came with the normal hanger.
Because i want the direct hanger (especially well made for new shimano 9100 groupsets) my bikeshop is gonna contact BMC for the direct mount hanger.
Or maybe it came with it and they haven't looked well in the package.

TonyM

by TonyM

I love that BMC Teammachine!!

--> Is there enough space between the front tire (a 25mm tire, measuring actually 26-27mm) and the down tube so that you can use some clip-on fenders/ mudguards on a 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Like the SKS raceblades:
http://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/ ... o-black-2/

bilwit

by bilwit

TonyM wrote:I love that BMC Teammachine!!

--> Is there enough space between the front tire (a 25mm tire, measuring actually 26-27mm) and the down tube so that you can use some clip-on fenders/ mudguards on a 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Like the SKS raceblades:
http://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/ ... o-black-2/

hmm hard to say, but I would imagine there would be just enough clearance. Here's the fit with the Raceblades with 23mm tire on 24mm wide FLO45s:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com