Thoughts on the 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ruben58

by Ruben58

Thoughts? New cockpit looks clean imo.

nesfyl

by nesfyl

Beautiful, and looks very well engineered, but outrageously expensive

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shineplus

by shineplus

Clean is like a canyon 's mobike.
Shape and color ...
And even so expensive

Broady

by Broady

Looks sweet, 11500 euros is pretty mad though.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Definitely a nice looking bike, but the price tag definitely is pricey. The frameset module at $4,500 still makes it competitive with the competition it is trying to compete against.

Shrike

by Shrike

Looks class, modern aero lines all over. No flair, or Italian style cues - just pure business. My kinda frame.

That said, still think the Aeroad pips it if you're looking for this style of design.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I like the well engineered approach and the sensible integration.

Also like the rim brake version, but it is not clear if one can route electronic shifting through the stem as the disc brake version.

But for me it kind of shows how the industry screwed up the whole change to disc-brake... We now have:
- Post mount calipers and frames
- Flat mount calipers and frames WITH adapters
- Flat mount calipers that mount WITHOUT adapters to frames that were supposed to be use calipers WITH adapters (Campy discs)
- And now frames that mount WITHOUT adapters calipers that were supposed to be mounted WITH adapters (BMC, and I think the new Open UPPER)

As far as I understood, this frame is probably not compatible with Campy discs.

Well done! Rim brakes for me until this whole mess is sorted out...

TiPX

by TiPX

I'm a bit disappointed, it looks as aero as a brick (like the previous version), I thought they would try to improve that a bit.

morrisond

by morrisond

AndreLM wrote:I like the well engineered approach and the sensible integration.

Also like the rim brake version, but it is not clear if one can route electronic shifting through the stem as the disc brake version.

But for me it kind of shows how the industry screwed up the whole change to disc-brake... We now have:
- Post mount calipers and frames
- Flat mount calipers and frames WITH adapters
- Flat mount calipers that mount WITHOUT adapters to frames that were supposed to be use calipers WITH adapters (Campy discs)
- And now frames that mount WITHOUT adapters calipers that were supposed to be mounted WITH adapters (BMC, and I think the new Open UPPER)

As far as I understood, this frame is probably not compatible with Campy discs.

I'm guessing that you will be able to use a Campy Rear 140 Caliper on the Fork with a 160 Disc and it should work - it looks like a Shimano 140 Caliper on that fork (Shimano uses the same Caliper front and rear)

AndreLM

by AndreLM

morrisond wrote:I'm guessing that you will be able to use a Campy Rear 140 Caliper on the Fork with a 160 Disc and it should work - it looks like a Shimano 140 Caliper on that fork (Shimano uses the same Caliper front and rear)

Thanks, so maybe not as bad as I initially thought...

We just have to see if Campy will sell front 140mm caliper/shifter sets, or at least 140mm calipers separate from the shifters.

jeffy

by jeffy

perhaps the it is only hydraulic hoses that can be routed through the stem, because if you routed rim brake cable housing then the braking would be significantly degraded with significantly worse braking (even worse than rim brakes are already compared with hydraulic discs) :oops: :twisted:

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

AndreLM wrote:I like the well engineered approach and the sensible integration.

The front end is based off the RM01, so assuming they didn't change much, you should be able to run your Di2 eTube cables through the stem. It really creates a clean interface.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

AndreLM wrote:

See, I'm itching for a purchase right now. I have a Canyon thread + Allez Sprint thread + revived my old Felt thread.

I just don't know which direction to go. I want new wheels, but the newer ones are too wide for my 2yr old Felt. I want a Canyon disc Aeroad, but this whole disc thing is still a mess right now. I want an Allez Sprint, but the frame I want isn't available where I live + not sure about the tire clearance.

Looks like I'd have to stay with my current set up or get some Zipp 404s which will solve my tire clearance issues. I can also wait for Canyon to arrive in the US and get in the disc bandwagon with the Aeroad.

Anyway, going back to the BMCs - having ridden 3 models (SLR01, RM01 and my RoadRacer), they produce top notch bikes. I have no doubt they're putting a brilliant product here and Greg's been winning a ton this year (I believe he was riding a prototype in one of the races?).

Their retail price is another story though. Riis' gotta pay GVA, TJ, Ritchie and the band of reliable domestiques.

xplaza

by xplaza

Same fork rake for all frame sizes, meh. It would have been nice to have a different fork for the two smallest ones, like the RoadMachine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

With that much money I'd expect a pure eTap HRD specific frameset.

No Di2 junctions and wire ports, plus multiple widths of fully integrated handlebar/stem and fully internal hydralic brake hose (ya, still a bit exposed at caliper but that's as little as it could be ATM).
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10