Thoughts on the 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamraymond

by iamraymond

bilwit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 pm
the one shown is the zero setback one, which seems to be the same as the normal offset one in appearance except it has a that little extra bit in front that noticeably sticks out so that they could move the clamp forward..
Oh I see what you mean now. I was confused because I was expecting to see a post without a ‘tail’ on the back of the post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octave

by octave

hi everyone,

i just picked up a BMC Teammachine SLR01, NOS in the box, never opened never built... as i was getting ready to build i noticed that the "mini ball joint" i had read about where the rear derailleur cable enters the headtube was missing (see photo to see what i mean). it wasn't included in any of the boxes of accessories that came with the frame either... it seems odd they wouldn't include it. is this a necessary piece, or is there some other cable stop option i am not understanding?

thanks for the info!

best,

o
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 7.01.06 PM.png

octave

by octave

octave wrote:hi everyone,

i just picked up a BMC Teammachine SLR01, NOS in the box, never opened never built... as i was getting ready to build i noticed that the "mini ball joint" i had read about where the rear derailleur cable enters the headtube was missing (see photo to see what i mean). it wasn't included in any of the boxes of accessories that came with the frame either... it seems odd they wouldn't include it. is this a necessary piece, or is there some other cable stop option i am not understanding?

thanks for the info!

best,

o

follow up to show what came with the frame. the only thing that is related to brake cable housing is the little ferrule in the pictures. it fits in the rear brake cable entry hole in the headtube, but it seems to me very half-baked if this is the solution for a high-end frame, as it is not all that snug and wiggles a fair bit. and it certainly is in no way a swiveling mini ball joint...

can anyone shed some light? is that little ferrule correct?

thanks!

o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

octave

by octave

bilwit wrote:Picked it up today

I'll make its own thread for this when I have it built, but I don't have a fancy camera.

All the bits that came with it:
Frame Sz54+Fork+Seatpost+Bottom Bracket+Compression Plug 1.620kg
BMC Stem 110mm 163.7g (thinking about putting an Extralite Hyperstem on there instead.. would save 80g.. not sure if I want to risk the fork though)
Fork (uncut) 340g
Compression Plug 29.8g

hi there bilwit,

beatiful frameset! i have the 2018 SLR01 TWO frameset i am looking forward to building up.

since you started from a frameset as well, i was wondering if you could shed some light on a question regarding the frame hardware. my bike came complete so i removed everything, but i was wondering if the little washers in the photo below are specific to the Teammachine frame and required for any direct mount brake i wanted to mount, or are they specific to the TRP T980 brakeset i removed? the second picture is the washers on the TRPs.
thanks for any insight!

o

bilwit

by bilwit

octave wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:01 pm

hi there bilwit,

beatiful frameset! i have the 2018 SLR01 TWO frameset i am looking forward to building up.

since you started from a frameset as well, i was wondering if you could shed some light on a question regarding the frame hardware. my bike came complete so i removed everything, but i was wondering if the little washers in the photo below are specific to the Teammachine frame and required for any direct mount brake i wanted to mount, or are they specific to the TRP T980 brakeset i removed? the second picture is the washers on the TRPs.
thanks for any insight!

I'm not sure. I bought the frame disassembled rather than directly frameset-only and as such didn't really get all the accessory parts with it. Mine doesn't use any washers like that. I suggest emailing BMC and asking them about it.

octave

by octave

thanks for the response! i messaged BMC a while ago with no response so i came to ww.

in any case i got a response from TRP- apparently the include those washers with their T980 direct mounts because the bokts are too long for certain frames. so they are specific to the TRP brakes.

thanks again!

flostonf00

by flostonf00

Guys can i equipe the slr02 2018. With Sram Red?Will my rear shifter work in good condition with the rear hanger( i mention its come with shimano 105 now)!

willmac

by willmac

Bike comes with two hangers. The shimano direct mount and a standard one for other group sets. Sram should be fine

willmac

by willmac

Bringing this back to life regards this bike, I absolutely love it. Sold my Supersix earlier this year and replaced it with an SLR01 disc. Was initially concerned with the head angle but after a few days in the Sierra Nevada, it absolutely flies and the steering is extremely direct. All in, it’s 7.2kgs for a 56 with cages, mounts etc so not super light. I could get it below 7 with some shallower wheels but not bothered, the stiffness in terms of power transfer is phenomenal. Only thing I don’t like is the stock bars, the ergo bend isn’t good for larger hands and I’ll be swapping it for something with a deeper drop

survivor

by survivor

Any compilation of the team machine SLR01 frame weight? Pondering with a new build and wondering whether I should go Supersix Evo HiMod or Team Machine SLR01 route. Need something light with clean internal cable routing. Emonda and Factor VAM have expose cabled so no no. Any other lightweight frame that I need to think of?

willmac

by willmac

I don't have a frame weight but mine is 7.2kg. Dura ace di2, size 56 with arc1100 dicut wheels set up with 25mm corsas.
Attachments
D104C5A1-9B98-4C5C-9B0B-BCEAAFF1E47F.jpeg

slashy

by slashy

survivor wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:29 pm
Any compilation of the team machine SLR01 frame weight? Pondering with a new build and wondering whether I should go Supersix Evo HiMod or Team Machine SLR01 route. Need something light with clean internal cable routing. Emonda and Factor VAM have expose cabled so no no. Any other lightweight frame that I need to think of?
scott addict 2020. bmc's seem to be for grabs with serious discounts in EU. keep in mind the BMC has rather limited tire clearance vs the 2 other frames mentioned if that is important to you. other than that it is a great frame if it fits you.

Sockman

by Sockman

Sorry to dig an oldish thread, but my searches haven't found what I'm looking for!

Looking for a recommendation for brake housing for my SLR01. About to do a full strip/rebuild and change to Di2 on my 2018 rim brake bike.

I was looking at Nokon for the segmented brake housing to replace the standard shimano stuff. Is there any benefit to this?
Also, if I'm swapping from mechanical to di2 I'll be needing to swap out some frame hardware. So far I have the following parts: BB cover plate, frame port (for the rs910 internal junction). Do I need frame specific grommets for the cables? Or can I just use some from ebay (5mm grommets with a hole for a cable)?

iamraymond

by iamraymond

For the FD you can use the standard Shimano di2 grommet (7-8mm). But for the RD this won't work. I ended up using the grommets which came with the di2 kit (part number 301102) that you can buy from a BMC dealer. It comes with downtube port, bb cover, and all the rubber grommets.

Sockman

by Sockman

What is the difference with the RD grommet? I'm hoping to avoid bmc's exorbitant prices for small fiddle pieces of plastic if I can! Perhaps I need the oval grommet from shimano? Or is it more of a generic thing I could pick up from a chemistry supply shop? Thanks for the reply!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com