Silca SuperPista is a lemon: alternatives?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

willmac

by willmac

Birzman Maha Apogee III. I had lezyne before this and i like the birzman more. Chuck is relatively easy with only a couple of twists to engage and has a nice bleed down valve. Built like a tank also

1415chris

by 1415chris

Forgot to add, additional benefit of Lezyne CNC is its weight 1370g. Sometimes, when I don't have to count every kg, I put it into my bike box when traveling with bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

Thanks for the feedback everyone- just ordered a SKS Rennkompressor and Kuwahara Hirame head. Wish me luck!

mattr

by mattr

:)

I ended up with two rennkompressors by mistake.
Ordered one online (25% off), before it arrived i spotted one going at half price in a local warehouse type place.

Never got round to sending the extra one back. One lives in the workshop, one in the car. Both have been bomb proof.

They were bought to replace a silca i'd had 15+ years.

Still worked, just looked like It'd been well abused (it had)

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I have to admit I'm a little confused if not sad to see all the negative Silca reviews here. I have a Silca decades old that still goes. I have wanted some of the newer ones if not for the accuracy but because I dig the machining. Having said that my frame pump is an old Blackburn that's been going for 7 years. I have yet to see any real negative reviews online on the new Silca stuff that I recall.

Having said that there certainly are plenty of good alternatives at least. The Birzman stuff is solid for sure.
Just ride ..

srshaw

by srshaw

Wookski wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:This pump is the only one that has ladted for me. Topeak joeblows on the otherhand fail all the time.

The super pista i buy though are no where near the price of the overpriced pumps on the web today.

So many ppl swear by the original Silca pumps, based on my experience (and my friends) these new ones pale in comparison. The only "new Silca" product that has worked flawlessly for me so far is the pocket impero mini pump- a wonderful product.

Mine from the mid 90s is still going strong. I bought it originally because it was the cheapest I could find, not like today's stuff.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

norcimmus

by norcimmus

Serfas FMP-500 user here, I like the all metal body and braided hose.

jasonh

by jasonh

I'm using the Velowurks pump. it's a bit gimmicky, but works very well. better than joe blow.

mattr

by mattr

itsacarr wrote:I have to admit I'm a little confused if not sad to see all the negative Silca reviews here. I have a Silca decades old that still goes.
New Silca is most certainly not old Silca. AFAIK it's a high end branding exercise. My old silca was excellent, bought it in the early 90's. Abused it for 15 years, got the shiny new itch and replaced it. The Renn is better for tubeless and MTB size tyres, other than that, i reckon i could have got another 15 years out of the Silca.

itsacarr wrote:I have yet to see any real negative reviews online on the new Silca stuff that I recall.
You're seeing them here. And TBH, magazine reviews *usually* don't give the kit much abuse/use.

AJS914

by AJS914

35 years old and it's only had 2 leather gaskets and one new hose.

Sometimes I think about getting a modern pump.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

SKS. Mine is at least 30 years old, nothing replaced except the pump head rubber every couple of years.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the quality of pumps made 30 years ago have little to no bearing on pumps made today. Different materials, different markets, potentially different owners.

tnc1970

by tnc1970

My Silca Superpista (Ultimate, no less...) failed after 15 months of use, leaking air at the gauge making impossible to inflate any tire. Always living in the basement: no car, no bashing around and burning rubber gaskets like crazy .
Not needed to say I'm utterly disappointed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

There's a recall: viewtopic.php?t=149018