Do Roval Disc CLX 50's fit Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvearn

by dvearn

Newbie here, but have been reading the Forum for many months.

Back story:
I've got an Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL on order (due mid-Aug). I went rim brake as I've got Xentis Squad 5.8 clinchers I was planning to use, I was also put off by the weight penalty and extra expense of Disc.
But, with all that time waiting on my hands, my mind starts to explore other options, like buying the Ultimate CF SLX Disc 9.0 SL that comes with Mavic Pro Carbon disc wheelset (hardly SL at 1760g). I could then sell both my Xentis 5.8 and brand new Pro Carbon Disc and buy some new all year, all around, wheels - I've got my eye on the Roval Disc CLX 50.

I spoke to Canyon Live Agents today, they said Ultimate had been tested up to 28mm tires.
Sigma Sports said to allow 30mm clearance for the Roval with a 25mm tire on due to the very wide rim width.

Q: Has anyone tried fitting Roval Disc CLX 50's to Ultimate CF SLX Disc please?

I'd also welcome feedback on my options

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

dvearn wrote:Newbie here, but have been reading the Forum for many months.

Back story:
I've got an Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL on order (due mid-Aug). I went rim brake as I've got Xentis Squad 5.8 clinchers I was planning to use, I was also put off by the weight penalty and extra expense of Disc.
But, with all that time waiting on my hands, my mind starts to explore other options, like buying the Ultimate CF SLX Disc 9.0 SL that comes with Mavic Pro Carbon disc wheelset (hardly SL at 1760g). I could then sell both my Xentis 5.8 and brand new Pro Carbon Disc and buy some new all year, all around, wheels - I've got my eye on the Roval Disc CLX 50.

I spoke to Canyon Live Agents today, they said Ultimate had been tested up to 28mm tires.
Sigma Sports said to allow 30mm clearance for the Roval with a 25mm tire on due to the very wide rim width.

Specialized Turbo 24mm tires measure 26mm on those rims. I highly doubt 25mm would be more than 27 or 28. Plus if you'r going for aero might as well use the tire size the wheel set was designed, which is 24mm and you end up with 26mm effective anyway.
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Back story:

I own an Endurace CF SLX Disc, with basically the same fork and reat clearnce as the Ultimate. I run 28mm GP 4000s on Roval CLX32's. Those suckers bolloon up to a real 31mm wide, with no issue at all. So, no worry at all!

dvearn

by dvearn

awesome, thanks for the confirmation guys.

Now I just have to work out Rim vs Disc.
I'm not a racer, but those 800g extra do eat at me. The thought of not having to keep changing my wheelset/brakes throughout the year is appealing though

hannawald

by hannawald

disc, future proof. with new generation of components will significantly lower the weight penalty..

Datmo

by Datmo

I ride CLX 50 with 25mm tires on my Ultimate CF SLX without any problems. Loads of clearance.

Ginsterdrz

by Ginsterdrz

The Roval CLX50 Disc wheels are superb and as ‘In The Know Cyclist’ says: “they just make me smile”.

I was a dyed in the wool rim braker until I tried discs on a road bike (mainly a MTB’er until a few years ago).

Don’t underestimate the confidence discs give you, I ride differently with them but can’t explain psychologically why!

Riding twice a week on a regular basis has improved my performance no end, forget about a few hundred grams, another psychological red herring.

As a ‘retired’ racer I’m now on the best bike I’ve ever ridden: Canyon Endurace SLX.

I’ve raced an Aeroad and Ultimate.

What would I do??? Cancel your order. Wait (it’s hard!) and then buy next years updated Ultimate Disc, maybe as a frameset only. Bit of a Brexit gamble, prices will probably go up???

Potentially your order will arrive and within a week Canyon will release an updated Ultimate Disc, lighter, better, 2nd generation disc frame tweeks.

Good luck.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Delorre wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:53 am

Back story:

Do they still somewhat of an aero profile at that size(I have both 64’s and 50’s and want 32’s)?

I own an Endurace CF SLX Disc, with basically the same fork and reat clearnce as the Ultimate. I run 28mm GP 4000s on Roval CLX32's. Those suckers bolloon up to a real 31mm wide, with no issue at all. So, no worry at all!
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

If a manufacturer states clearance for 28mm tires there has to be 5mm room in all directions for safety regulations, so at least real 38mm clearance. In real life 3 or 4mm space to the frame will be fine, even if you brake a spoke. So 30mm wide rims will be a no brainer here.

If you are a real weight weenie you should reconsider rim brakes though. There will always be a weight penalty and unless you ride a lot in the rain or dirt the differences are not huge. If disc brakes are very good, rim brakes are still good. Direct Mount rim brakes and carbon clinchers with textured brake tracks work just fine. Why carry around the additional weight and have a (tiny) aero penalty?