anyone own a CANYON BIKE in a non-shipping country?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
check6
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 am

by check6

g32ecs wrote:
I guess waiting for them to hit the US shores is an option and hopefully Trump continues to mess it up @ the White House and have a the US $ fall.


This is in no way meant to be political, but I think you have it backwards. A strong dollar means more buying power and essentially a cheaper price for goods originating overseas.

Regardless, I'm hoping that there is not a "US Premium" based on our global economic status. I already need to purchase most of my bits overseas since it is cheaper to do it that way. me thinks that Canyon won;t be that much of a deal as it is on the outside looking in now. I could be wrong, but I'm really suspicious.

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

^ If Canyon isn't undercutting their competitors on pricing in the USA, they lose on one of their biggest selling points; passing on savings to the customer. If the US premium is there, might as well look at the other brands that have a local shop with local support rather than just paying for the name of Canyon. However, if Canyon is willing to offer a similarly spec'd bike as Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Cervelo...etc. but undercut them by x%, then they will have a nice market to take advantage of.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

uraqt
Posts: 814
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:53 am

by uraqt

Warranty too : )

C

check6
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 am

by check6

53x12 wrote:^ If Canyon isn't undercutting their competitors on pricing in the USA, they lose on one of their biggest selling points; passing on savings to the customer. If the US premium is there, might as well look at the other brands that have a local shop with local support rather than just paying for the name of Canyon. However, if Canyon is willing to offer a similarly spec'd bike as Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Cervelo...etc. but undercut them by x%, then they will have a nice market to take advantage of.



Yes, But I'm thinking the scope of the discount may be different.

Vermu
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:39 am

by Vermu

check6 wrote:
g32ecs wrote:
I guess waiting for them to hit the US shores is an option and hopefully Trump continues to mess it up @ the White House and have a the US $ fall.


This is in no way meant to be political, but I think you have it backwards. A strong dollar means more buying power and essentially a cheaper price for goods originating overseas.

Regardless, I'm hoping that there is not a "US Premium" based on our global economic status. I already need to purchase most of my bits overseas since it is cheaper to do it that way. me thinks that Canyon won;t be that much of a deal as it is on the outside looking in now. I could be wrong, but I'm really suspicious.

But earlier the strong dollar caused CF pricing go up and Canyon had to raise their prices.
Their pricing follows US dollars instead of euro

User avatar
BRM
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:43 pm

by BRM

Canyon started as a budget manufacturer.
They came with a selling concept where they wiped out the retailers.
The shorter line: selling directly fromout the manufacturer should be cheaper was the thought.

On many forums in Europe people ask for which bike to buy with a limited budget and they want value for their money. They got answers were people recommended to look to Canyon bikes and also other German bikes. Promotion was helped by magazines as the German Tour Magazine which frequently "test" bikes and surprisingly their are Always German bikes high in their lists . . .

It resulted that in most cases where people were asking what to buy there was Always a handful of people that called Canyon. Next was that people that ask for what to buy mentioned in their post: recommend me some bikes but please not Canyon. Canyons became ordinair and bit dull. Reasonable good and value for your money but lacks soul. They missed the flair of Italian bikes. Also with Canyon they don't spend any money on paintscheme designs. Canyons looked like shit. A not small amount of people don't want to be found dead near a Canyon, they said.

Today Canyon has heaped up prices, partly because they sponsor bigger teams, partly because their marketing strategy worked and they are known with a larger public that want their bikes. Time to benefit and change pricestrategies. canyons are no longer cheap, but as before there is no single attention to paintscheme design.

I dont understand why people that live in North-America would do special things to get a Canyon.
A Canyon is not so special, imo. Not only the problem to get one but when you need to use your warranty it will give anoter problem.

For years Canyon hardly could handle the demand for their bikes in Europe.
waiting lists for many models and sizes. Sold out frequently. With this in mind I wonder what they are going to do oversea.



Then back to the TS.
Why do you want an Aeroroad?
Does the concept suits your drivingstyle?
Is the bike geometry demanding your requirements?
You sure the fit on this bike is corresponding with your bodygeometry?

The reason why i ask is that still in these modern times many buyers take the oldfashioned route:
They look to an image of a bike, it appeales them and they ask what size do I need.
While in these modern times everyone should follow the more intelligent route: to map your own personal requirements thourougly (purpose of the bike, personal requirements + personal preferences) and with that blueprint you can look to which bikes match that. So you come to a solid and possibly satisfying choice.

bbqpork
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:38 pm

by bbqpork

Often, people wants something different.
While some finds the satisfaction in achieving a difficult task, others don't.
After all the hardwork, I am very happy with my bike.

Perhaps I could have gotten the Foil, or Madone 9 locally. But, that would have costed more, and I much prefer the looks on the Aeroad than the others. Statistically speaking, good looks it self adds 50 watts.



P.S. I do hate the matte black, it does look very cheap...

gewichtweenie
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:12 pm

by gewichtweenie

BRM wrote: Also with Canyon they don't spend any money on paintscheme designs.


that's a pro for many. i find the simple and understated scheme superlative.

even the major manufacturers like Trek are doing their bikes in a single colorway now. remember when every bike was filled with these spastic swooshes and slashes and stickers everywhere? looks like a half ass abstract painting

Image

Image

User avatar
BRM
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:43 pm

by BRM

Not what I meant.
You quoted a sentence where I was in first speaking about the past.
The era where you got often two groups of different buyers on forums.
Those who wanted a bit more stylish Italian bikes vs the nononsens value for money dull German bikes.

Today Canyon has heaped up prices but definitely this is not caused by attrackting some paintscheme designers, lol. Canyons are fugly as hell.



But in general and definitely counting for this era, most companies don't do much with paintschemes which is pretty odd.
There are different ways in paintscheme designs.
Besides the normal full paintschemes there are specialpaints airbrush designs.
Also it is possible to enhance particular lines of a product so particular shapes stands out more.
Or in reverse, with a particular schem you can mask some lines or create virtual lines.
This all you can adchieve with full paintschemes but aso with only some wellchosen lines.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post