How many chainring sets have you got for your bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

fromtrektocolnago wrote:One set i'm on a mid-compact and a 11-28 rear cassette. It may not be perfect in every situation but its the best compromise I can think of.

same here. seems to be the best combo for my fitness. yeah, at times, i wish i had a 30 in the back...but i don't have lengthy and steep climbs. short and steep is okay...but anything over 2 miles with a gradual steep grade, i'll have to reconsider.

i do have multiple chain rings that i could switch out, and i have an extra crank with a 50/34 ready to go that easier to swap that both chain rings in a pinch.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

For RR: 53/39 if very fit/pro. 52/36 for most riding. 50/34 if very steep.

For TT: 55/44 if very fit/pro. 53/39 for most of us.

That's it. Choose scenario according to the above and stop worrying.

wingguy

by wingguy

Shrike wrote:Then I have the other problem - the 52x11 isn't enough for going uber fast, I mean like over 50mph, you can't put all your power down if trying to TT down a lovely long gradient with a tailwind.

Strava or it didn't happen :lol:

kode54

by kode54

wingguy wrote:
Shrike wrote:Then I have the other problem - the 52x11 isn't enough for going uber fast, I mean like over 50mph, you can't put all your power down if trying to TT down a lovely long gradient with a tailwind.

:shock:
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Shrike

by Shrike

PM and I'll send Strava for the upper speed issue I'm having this evening :)

Asteroid

by Asteroid

wingguy wrote:

:D LOL. My Memorial Day ride took me over some of the same crazy fast downhills they ran on this year's ToC.
My tucked - undeniably wider body - earned me a time thirty seconds slower than what some of the race's Stravas showed over one 4-mile stretch.
40mph avg over that span, and I would've still spun out with a 53x11. (My gearing is 50/34 x 11-28.)

Yeah, changing chainrings is nice if you've got the time and patience.
Getting that DA9000 front derailleur dialed-in can give one fits.
Tucking works just fine in most instances, despite the assorted aches in my neck and arms. :lol:
Oldbie

wingguy

by wingguy

Asteroid wrote: :D LOL. My Memorial Day ride took me over some of the same crazy fast downhills they ran on this year's ToC.

Pretty sure Shrike doesn't ride in California :wink:

torquerulesok

by torquerulesok

Wrong question! Should be "how many bikes have you got?"

Yours is a classic case of nor having the right tool for the job (ride) at hand.

Google "n+1" 8)