Help me find shoes that fit!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

commendatore

by commendatore

mpulsiv wrote:When you say "toe box doesn't work at all", what do you mean by that? Have you tried S-Works 6 wide version? As far as I know no LBS carry them. Special order only.

The wide version of the s-works is such a slight difference that you would already have to find the regular version comfortable for them to work. Don't bother.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tommo

by Tommo

Did you pull the trigger on a pair yet?.. seems I have the same issue to contend with.

kdawg

by kdawg

commendatore wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:When you say "toe box doesn't work at all", what do you mean by that? Have you tried S-Works 6 wide version? As far as I know no LBS carry them. Special order only.

The wide version of the s-works is such a slight difference that you would already have to find the regular version comfortable for them to work. Don't bother.

IME that's because most companies (regular shoes too) don't actually make a wide version - they make a high volume version based on the same sole shape. Bont are different and I'm sure there are others (not Sidi - again IME).

This looks like the opposite issue to me and Bont are the best I've found as my feet are wide and square. I would have thought that most brands would suit this sort of shape of foot - the only issue would be getting the cleats back far enough so either look for adjustable clear holes (Shimano) or ones you can redrill.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

benzebub

by benzebub

try gaerne and/or northwave
But I could be wrong

jemima

by jemima

Re the sharp tapering away of the toes, I immediately thought of Northwave. They're exactly like that.

Not sure about the long big toe though.
Curve Grovel ti.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

From what I remember, Bont, Giro, Shimano, and Lake all have pretty square toe boxes. That said, OP has some pretty narrow feet.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I have been working through one hell of an injury related load of foot ridiculousness over the last few months, and am slowly getting to the bottom of it all. It has been a full on mission into the unknown with basically nobody knowing anything about anything, and me having to find it all out by myself via trial and error (story of my life).

Once I have been for a few more rides with my current set up, and it continues to improve the situation, I may well make a dedicated mega-post / video about it, as really, the current info online is so contradictory and fragmented, and offers no concrete solutions to issues that loads of people have, going by the countless threads opened, and never concluded on these issues.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

topflightpro wrote:From what I remember, Bont, Giro, Shimano, and Lake all have pretty square toe boxes. That said, OP has some pretty narrow feet.

Clearing this up, incase anyone else sees this thread and has similar dimensions.

My feet are not 'narrow'. They measure around D width for their length. The issues I have are first of all the toe geometry; long straight big toe, with sharply angling off smaller toes. Also, and impossible to see from the outline, my feet are relatively low volume, vertically, especially as the top of the foot moves into the ankle. This low volume cause problems with my foot slipping forward in the shoe as the fastening system is not secure enough. I could do it up tighter, but this starts effecting the width of the shoes and pressing my metatarsals together. Overall, it is a pain in the arse (foot).

But yeah, as well as this, there are a few mechanical / injury issues I have which are also doing my head in, so it is fully shoe nightmare time for me. I have made progress though, and like I say, will tell all once I have tested things more. Hopefully anyone else with similar issue(s) can use this to get to the bottom of their problem too.

uraqt

by uraqt

@TheDarkInstall

Hang in there!! I was lucky with my sidis it only took about a year to find the right set up .. however with ski boots I never found it after years of man hours on the snow and on the workbench!!

C

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

uraqt wrote:@TheDarkInstall

Hang in there!! I was lucky with my sidis it only took about a year to find the right set up .. however with ski boots I never found it after years of man hours on the snow and on the workbench!!

C

Haha, jesus CHRIST. I dread to think how expensive the process of finding the perfect ski boot is. Shudder.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

TheDarkInstall wrote:Clearing this up, incase anyone else sees this thread and has similar dimensions.

My feet are not 'narrow'. They measure around D width for their length. The issues I have are first of all the toe geometry; long straight big toe, with sharply angling off smaller toes. Also, and impossible to see from the outline, my feet are relatively low volume, vertically, especially as the top of the foot moves into the ankle. This low volume cause problems with my foot slipping forward in the shoe as the fastening system is not secure enough. I could do it up tighter, but this starts effecting the width of the shoes and pressing my metatarsals together. Overall, it is a pain in the arse (foot).

But yeah, as well as this, there are a few mechanical / injury issues I have which are also doing my head in, so it is fully shoe nightmare time for me. I have made progress though, and like I say, will tell all once I have tested things more. Hopefully anyone else with similar issue(s) can use this to get to the bottom of their problem too.

I misread your diagram. I was reading the 9cm as your foot width, which would be incredibly narrow.

CycloTron

by CycloTron

Hi there, I have E width feet with a large toe and a prominent big toe joint.
Shoes that I have found comfortable personally are Lake Wide Fit and Giro HV models.
I have heard Bonts are very good and come a massive range of sizes and widths but have not yet personally tried.

akaspin

by akaspin

Resurrecting topic. I have same feet shape with long big toe. Tried a lot of shoes including Lake. But it’s seems like 99% of shoes shaped to Roman type with shorter big toe.

Anybody found shoes which works with Egyptian/oriental shape with big long big toe?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Try taking the inner sole out, or put a very thin one. It provides more space primarily front/back.

The shoes I got from taiwan are very narrow for me. If I tighten them to feel secure at the cleat I sometimes get pain on left/right sides.

akaspin

by akaspin

alcatraz wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:56 am
Try taking the inner sole out, or put a very thin one. It provides more space primarily front/back.

The shoes I got from taiwan are very narrow for me. If I tighten them to feel secure at the cleat I sometimes get pain on left/right sides.
This is exactly that I did with weird narrow shoes from bikeshop. I finally toss them to bin and ordered shoes from Lake. They significantly better. But I feel slight pressure on big toe on hard pedaling. But it's still not perfect.

Is it worth to try to source Bont shoes? In Europe, they are not so easy to find. Or stop fooling around and look for full custom shoes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com