Orbea Orca OMR ride quality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beaver

by Beaver

Hi,

there can not be found a lot about the new Orba Orca OMR - maybe not here, because it's not a weight weenie bike with the 900g frame. :) But I am interested in ride quality. There is no marketing from Orbea in that direction, it's all about stiffness and aero:
"There are plenty of great bikes that offer flexibility, a relaxed, neutral position and mellow handling. Orca is not one of them – Orca is designed for the guy who has already ridden 6000kms in February and can somehow sustain 500 watts in the middle of winter. The guy whose legs look like they are chiseled directly from the local mountains, the guy you have NEVER beaten, and is always ready to make the pace. Orca is for professionals, hardmen, hardwomen and dedicated weirdos that have never even consider quitting early. Orca is for riders who spend so much time talking about watts and training that you wouldn’t dream of inviting them to your party, and they wouldn’t come anyway because it’s past their bedtime. Orca isn’t for everyone – Do you want to be fast?" :mrgreen:

Is it really that harsh? One tester even suggested mounting 28mm tires. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimW

by TimW

I'd like to know too as I am really thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these.

Reasonably light, slight concessions to aero but still looking pretty traditional...disc brakes with thru axle f&r. Ride magazine did a review so I think and I don't think they mentioned Harshness? Need input from 2017 owner.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Beaver

by Beaver

Orca hardmen and -women don't even have time for internet forums. :D

Shrike

by Shrike

Best description of a frame I've ever heard. They should use that in the official marketing :D

Introducing the new Trek Madone 9

Yeah, you're not a pro. You're a rampaging KOM-slayer out of control. Let those nannied wheel-suckers just try to enter your territory. Your legs were crafted by Adonis, and your bike gifted by the Anemoi. Yes that's right, we Googled Greek wind gods. Scratch that. You're a space marine son. This is your space bike. Bring it.

:)

rpowell

by rpowell

28's will not save you. Your mom will not protect you. The Orca is coming and it wont even give you the goddamn common courtesy of a reach-around.

kgt

by kgt

lol

Seriously... Orca is nothing special. Just a good frame that does the job. You are the rider.

Shrike

by Shrike

rpowell wins the marketing competition. If I start a bike company I'm hiring him. :D

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I have the 2016 version of the OMR and like it very much. Lively, responsive, a great descender. Sloped top tube so you can get a lot of seatpost out to dampen road chatter a bit. Stiff front end, pretty aggressive fit. Definitely not meant for a bunch of spacers under the stem. The paintwork is superb having mine custom painted by the "My O " program. The cable stops/ports are well thought out and cleaner than other brands internal routing. If you are getting just the frame, it ships with the Jagwire version of Gore ride-on cables were the cable is completely sealed from shifter to derailleur. I initially built mine with Red mechanical, but went to e-tap late last year. It is what I guess most riders would consider slightly twitchy, and care is required when riding with no hands. I like Orbea a lot as a brand. Have the Alma hardtail as well. Really nice frames IMO. Don't think you will be disappointed. Not wooden or dead feeling like some brands.

edit to add weight.........figure it matters to members of this particular forum! 6.9 kg/15.4 lbs with Red etap, Aeolus 3 carbon clinchers with latex tubes, Sworks Turbo 26mm tires, Ritchey WCS Carbon bars and seatpost, Ritchey WCS c260 120mm stem, Flight Kit carbonio saddle, Dura Ace pedals.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

TimW

by TimW

@beaver not sure where you got that weight from? Caliper version is 795g and disc about 840? I guess that's unpainted though.

Beaver

by Beaver

TimW wrote:@beaver not sure where you got that weight from? Caliper version is 795g and disc about 840? I guess that's unpainted though.

Nude, even without derailleur hanger:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/09/20/or ... -versions/

So 795g would be a bare frame without paint.

Beaver

by Beaver

Soooo, bought a frameset. :D Rim brake 55cm frame fully gloss painted without bearings 980g, fork 350g... A little too much for the recommened price tag, but I got one that had been build up before and therefore cheaper.

The disappointment after the weighting vanished with the first ride. For comparison I have my Cannondale Evo Hi-Mod 2012 and SuperX Hi-Mod (rim brake) 2012. The front is as stiff as the SuperX and therefore there's a little bit more road buzz than with the Evo, but the rear is far more comfortable - probably because of the 5cm more pulled out seatpost. Even with 23mm tires on 17C everything feels damped. With 25mm tires on 21C rim it's a flying carpet. :)

BB stiffness with BB386 is a little higher than with BB30, but never had been an issue for me anyway. Handling is on the sporty side, agile and direct. The Evo feels a tad more balanced. There even might be some aero gains because of the wide aerofork and steerertube: holding high speeds feels a little easier than with the Evo. Overall a very nice ride and I willingly accept the 200g weight gain over the Evo - which only takes 25mm real width tires and therefore had to go. Roads around here became too bad. :(

I decided against a new 2016 Evo because of the mechanical cable routing (was better before), one inch seatpost (only few options) and I also wanted something a litte more aero, which seems to pay off.

The Scott Foil was another option but I prefered the looks of the Orca.

TimW

by TimW

Good feedback, thanks. Weight way over claimed so disc would be even heavier...but as you say weight is not all as my C59 shows me. I like the my O colour feature but the site is a bit crappy. Something to think about.

So out of interest, do you think 28 tyres on wide rims would fit? Also fed up with poor roads...

Beaver

by Beaver

Absolutely. Limiting factor for even more is the brake bridge - which you won't have. ;)
Attachments
front.jpg
rear.jpg
seatstayr.jpg
seatstayl.jpg

Shmitt

by Shmitt

What about overlapping toe, Do You have on Orbea OMR? What is the size of the frame ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com